• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fan always spins, not the shutterstat?

sed6

So my fan always spins. Read lots of threads and they seem to end with fixing the shutterstat. I was hoping that was my problem but it seems not. I disconnected the air to the shutterstat but the fan continues to turn. I can stop the fan with a 2x4 so the clutch isn't frozen. The TM says notify supervisor...Any ideas?

Thanks!

'83 M925 NHC250

goldneagle

It is supposed to spin all the time on the M939 and M939A1. The difference is that it spins slowly and can be stopped (with a 2x4). When it actually engages it makes a load noise that hurts your ear if you are close to it. It is a distinct sound that can be heard when you are driving and it kicks on. Mine only kick on when the engine is under load, like climbing a long incline.

Rmtaunton

A fan running is always .mmm how can I say but a great problem .

If it's an A2 it's shutterstat

An A1 or 939 ,

sandcobra164

It is supposed to spin all the time on the M939 and M939A1. The difference is that it spins slowly and can be stopped (with a 2x4). When it actually engages it makes a load noise that hurts your ear if you are close to it. It is a distinct sound that can be heard when you are driving and it kicks on. Mine only kick on when the engine is under load, like climbing a long incline.
I agree with goldneagle! My personal truck is a M939A0 but I have plenty of experience with A2 trucks and the fans operate very much the same. You will know for certain when it is truly engaged!

74M35A2

Disagree. On my 925A2, my fan does not spin at all when the engine is running, until called upon, then it sounds like a hurricane under the hood front. I think the bearings or springs are going bad in any air clutch fan that spins when not called upon. Also check for an air gap at the clutch. You could easily fit several sheets of paper or more in my fan clutch air gap. When my engine is running, you can just reach out and grab the fan blade because it is stationary. So much that I have even spun it backwards by hand with the engine running. It will eventually coast to a stop and not rotate forward, same as if the engine was off.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Disagree. On my 925A2, my fan does not spin at all when the engine is running, until called upon, then it sounds like a hurricane under the hood front. I think the bearings or springs are going bad in any air clutch fan that spins when not called upon. Also check for an air gap at the clutch. You could easily fit several sheets of paper or more in my fan clutch air gap. When my engine is running, you can just reach out and grab the fan blade because it is stationary. So much that I have even spun it backwards by hand with the engine running. It will eventually coast to a stop and not rotate forward, same as if the engine was off.

X2

Both mine do this

Gunzy

Is your truck getting hot? Go for a good drive and if you hear the fan engage and the engine temp stays in a normal range I don't think I would worry about it.

sed6

Thanks all. It's an A0. Seems to be some different opinions from experienced members, I like it, that means my question isn't stupid. It seems ideally it shouldn't spin at all, but since I can stop it with a 2x4 it might not be a problem, yet. What problem could it manifest into?

My truck doesn't get hot. But I'm not sure if the fan properly engages. I do get a loud sound when driving occasionally that lasts maybe 30 seconds to 2 minutes which comes and goes. This sound actually sounds like a terrible rattle, like rocks in can, that to me sounds like it's coming from the transmission. Me and the previous owner 98g couldn't ever identify the sound. Perhaps that's what a bad fan clutch sounds like?

Thinking out loud here, perhaps I should start the truck, supply shop air to the clutch see if the fan engages and then note if it sounds like a tornado or a can of rocks?

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a number of trucks that the fan turns a little when the truck it on, I think it is that the clutch just has a little drag in it.
When your up the speed you can tell when the fan turns on. At idle it does sound like a can of rocks sometime.

goldneagle

All my trucks are M939A0 and on all of them the fans spin some with the engine running. That is 4 out of 4. I have seen plenty of other trucks running and the fan blades were turning on all of them. Yes it does sound like all **** braking loose when the fan clutch activates under load.

brasco

Thanks all. It's an A0. Seems to be some different opinions from experienced members, I like it, that means my question isn't stupid. It seems ideally it shouldn't spin at all, but since I can stop it with a 2x4 it might not be a problem, yet. What problem could it manifest into?

My truck doesn't get hot. But I'm not sure if the fan properly engages. I do get a loud sound when driving occasionally that lasts maybe 30 seconds to 2 minutes which comes and goes. This sound actually sounds like a terrible rattle, like rocks in can, that to me sounds like it's coming from the transmission. Me and the previous owner 98g couldn't ever identify the sound. Perhaps that's what a bad fan clutch sounds like?

Thinking out loud here, perhaps I should start the truck, supply shop air to the clutch see if the fan engages and then note if it sounds like a tornado or a can of rocks?
You are asking the right questions. I had a similar experience on an A2 truck and thought a constantly spinning fan was normal. It is not normal on the A2s -See attached post below for my experience. I decided to buy a replacement fan clutch. I can't speak about A0 versions. Good luck.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...-Fan-Clutch-Repair-Any-Clutch-Gurus-Out-There

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I drove my A0 90 miles today. I just checked the fan and it's slowly turning. It kicked on and off normally on tje extended 6% grade.

Sed6's truck fan kicked on and off normally on the drive from Tucson to OKC.

I've never noticed whether or not fans on the 855 turn slowly when they aren't hot. Based on a sample size of 2, I'm I'm going to say it's ok..

I'll check 4 more trucks within the next couple of weeks and report back ..

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I drove my A0 90 miles today. I just checked the fan and it's slowly turning. It kicked on and off normally on tje extended 6% grade.

Sed6's truck fan kicked on and off normally on the drive from Tucson to OKC.

I've never noticed whether or not fans on the 855 turn slowly when they aren't hot. Based on a sample size of 2, I'm I'm going to say it's ok..

I'll check 4 more trucks within the next couple of weeks and report back ..
All my M939/NHC250 equipped trucks (4) operate the same. Fan rotates (slowly) while engine is running. The fan clutch engages at about 185* F, then the fan is engaged at really moves some air. My M813, well it's direct drive are roars all the time.

74M35A2

The rattling when on is likely loose fan blade bolts. Mine made the exact sound you describe when activated. My fan bolts were rusted snug, but after breaking them loose, giving them some lube, and then retorquing them, the rattle went away. Suggest same to others. Break loose, retighten should fix it. You for sure don't want the fan getting sucked forward into the radiator and wiping it out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks