• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fan clutch bolts

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The fan clutch bolts seem to have a bad habit of coming loose. You have to air-to-release the clutch and you can rotate it to access the bolts. The fan clutch can come apart and throw the fan and front of clutch assembly. Its not pretty I have seen it twice in the last few months. One person said they heard a bit of rattling in front right before it came apart. I believe this issue can be detected by grabbing the fan blade, with the engine off of course, and giving it a shake feeling for excessive play.

MaiNiaK

I had the fan and water pump come off on a E350 I had. Destroyed my radiator.
Instant HP gain with a huge plume of white cloud .

Thanks for the heads up.

MaiNiaK

Ouch. Did it take out the radiator?
Locktight normally works well on high vibration areas.
It's a must on Harley's

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those pictures seem to be of a failure of the rubber isolation mount of the fan? Not the clutch itself? Thanks for the heads up, one more thing to worry about.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A periodic inspection of the belts, followed by a check in the fan deflection could possibly avoid the disastrous results depicted!!! Or maybe not!

Anyway, thanks for bringing up another point of failure on our beloved OD.

Rick

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I thought the first one a few weeks ago was just one of those "fluke" things but after hearing from someone else I know that the same thing just happened to it seems to be a possible issue. There are a lot of m939 trucks in private hands I haven't heard of one throwing a clutch and fan. In the scheme of things there really aren't that many lmtv trucks in private hands and for it to happen twice in a 2 month period is more than coincidence. I don't know too much about the inner workings of the fan clutch. I didn't see a rubber dampener though.

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's the old style fan/clutch assembly. The new and improved ones has studs in the clutch and no rubber damper.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking at the pic, it appears to be similar to a HMMWV fan clutch, need hyd or air pressure to disengage to turn it to line up the bolt holes to remove or install. Locktite is a must...never had one come off a HMMWV though.
will have to check that bugger...

lmtvjunky

I've had the same problem, headed through the desert in the middle of a summer night, pushing a solid 3 hour drive when I heard what sounded like running over a tree branch or rabbit, pulled over and noticed my radiator dumping it's guts. The fan clutch came apart, went into the fan then threw itself into the radiator, and done! I managed to find a radiator, new fan and clutch and was able to duplicated the hose assembly for air supply. What a pain, I think the clutch bearing went out and lost the 1 nut that holds on the clutch cover .

Attachments

Last edited:

JMIL

I had the same thing happen on my recovery from Fort Campbell. A really loud noise for a few seconds and then bang my fan sliced open my radiator.

Attachments

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Been a few months so need to bump for the LMTV crowd. Check your fans. I'm sitting on I-10 waiting for a wrecker.

image.jpg

Last edited:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All the best on a speedy recovery back home.
Having been on the side of the road before, I know it sucks...

Stay well away from traffic / truck while waiting !

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The driveline on trucks need to be checked for play per the hinging test in the tm also. You will throw a driveshaft and cause alot of damage or worse have the driveshaft launch and hit another vehicle. I got 2 A1 tractors recently out of TX both needed U joints (too much play) and one a front driveshaft due to play in the slip joint.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The driveline on trucks need to be checked for play per the hinging test in the tm also. You will throw a driveshaft and cause alot of damage or worse have the driveshaft launch and hit another vehicle. I got 2 A1 tractors recently out of TX both needed U joints (too much play) and one a front driveshaft due to play in the slip joint.
We did the driveline check with a magnetic dial indicator and was WELL within specs so I'm not worried too much about that.

We also just had the fan clutch off when putting the AC pulley on and thought everything looked good for it too. It is the old style clutch and fan so age may have been a factor. My main concern now is getting the 160lb radiator and air charge cooler out of the truck and then back in once repaired.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks