• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fan clutches

kapnklug

Ya that's how they're supposed to feel, can turn by hand but not spin freely. I've only seen them go bad by losing all resistance so that the engine overheats

kassim503

Sometimes the thermostat on it gets stuck and they stay locked all the time. Try starting the truck when its cold and holding a high rev for 30 or so seconds, if during that time the fan dosent slow down or making that loud whoosing noise your fan clutch may be bad.

Also, if you do decide on replacing your clutch, make sure you get the one that looks like yours, there is usually a hd one and a regular duty one. The regular duty one spins the fan slower, while the HD one may lock up too much for your liking.

rlwm211

In my experience when a thermal clutch fan fails the fan stops engaging and properly cooling the truck. The test is to check the fan with the truck at temperature, but not overheated. With the engine off, spin the fan with your hand and it should stop in less than a revolution. Also check for wobble and any other indication of bearing failure. If the fan bearing fails it can take out your radiator and that can be an expensive proposition.

It is absolutely normal for the fan to run on "HIGH" for a minuite or so when you start out with a cold engine. Typically my fan stays at high until I start driving and the first acceleration it slows down.

RL

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks