• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fan solenoid...

ppillard

My radiator fan solenoid isn’t exhausting. The rubber plug inside the bullet is old and cracked and keeps the charge line to the fan pressurized.

Anyone got a line on a replacement?

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is a thread if it helps.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
There is a civilian replacement available that is a new solenoid and thermal sensor unit from a different manufacturer used by common OTR trucks

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thought someone found the OEM replacement on the thread I posted. Is the one Wess you are talking about a direct replacement. Ours is 24 volt and works with the fording switch to shut off engine fan if it is running when fording. Also mine shuts off engine cooling fan but turns on my rear aux trans. cooler when fording. Plus the other solenoid that is attched to the fan solenoid controls my mid axle interlock. I do not plan to ford but you never no what stupid stuff I will do / or say when on the right meds. I also hate to rewire anything as I hate how the FMTV family stuff is crammed into / around the truck. Ten pounds of crap in a five pound bag.

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Thought someone found the OEM replacement on the thread I posted. Is the one Wess you are talking about a direct replacement. Ours is 24 volt and works with the fording switch to shut off engine fan if it is running when fording. Also mine shuts of engine cooling fan but turns on my rear aux trans. cooler. I do not plan to ford but you never no what stupid stuff I will do / or say when on the right meds. I also hate to rewire anything as I hate how the FMTV family stuff is crammed into / around the truck. Ten pounds of crap in a five pound bag.
It wires in just the same as the stock one. The civilian one can be 12 or 24v. Ive used them in place of the shutterstats on the m939s for years.

ppillard

FIXED!

The rubber in the plunger was old, dried, cracked and coming apart. I drilled all the old rubber out (it goes completely through the core of the plunger), cleaned, and replaced with fresh silicone. I set the plunger on top of my boiler system and let it bake dry all night.
This morning. I reassembled, fired her up and I’ve been running errands in her around Denver for the last few hours. Fan’s working great.

For how long? I don’t think the silicone is nearly as stout as the original rubber.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks