• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fan switch for cab heater: suggestions

banditt1979

I am working on getting the cab heater installed in my 71 deuce and having trouble locating the cab switch, resistor and mounting bracket, if there is one. In the absence of the correct parts, what have you all been doing? Twood be easy enough to just install a switch and have full fan power of off, but would be nice to have a low speed as well.

DaneGer21

I am working on getting the cab heater installed in my 71 deuce and having trouble locating the cab switch, resistor and mounting bracket, if there is one. In the absence of the correct parts, what have you all been doing? Twood be easy enough to just install a switch and have full fan power of off, but would be nice to have a low speed as well.
If it’s just power to a blower motor, something as simple as this could be used. Essentially the same as a dimmer switch for your home/ceiling fan/lights/etc.

Attachments

ToddJK

I guess the real question here is, will you miss anything not having the "low" function on the heater? It doesn't make much difference imo, but it may differ for others depending on how well their cab is sealed up.

HDN

Does the fan switch have the resistors in it, or are the resistors on the fan motor? I haven't had mine apart yet so I don't know.

If it's just a three-way toggle switch, I think you can get a similar-looking one from a hardware store.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check out part number WVE 1S3300 on Rockauto. It is a 3 speed heater switch with off, complete with resistor. It says it is for 12 volts but should work fine on 24 volts. Less than 13 bucks.

Barrman

The resistor for low speed is a big ceramic thing. It looks like the ballast resistors used on point ignition systems. When running on low fan speed that resistor gets very hot. I used a zip tie to keep it out of the way and the zip tie sure did smoke a bunch about 15 minutes into my first drive with the heater running. Don’t do what I did.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks