• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fantasy Engine for the 809 series

1310monster

What would the engine of your choice ( realistic here)for the 809 series be? I've seen hints at putting a detroit in one. Something upwards of 400hp would be nice. A jake brake would be nice. I'm actually thinking about a 6v92. We have experience with detroits plus I like the sound of them.

Rocky

Alredneck

Banned
Cheaper reliabilty I would go with DT466 International should fit purdy good to!! Im to poor for the fantasy world!!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
60 series Detroit....I had one in a 96 Freightliner......it was a Caterpiller painted green.
Low RPM, high torque, unless you had a real heavy load on or hit a bad hill you didn't do a lot of shifting.
This is the engine they should have put in the HEMMETs instead of that V-8, double-breasted, two stroke, boat anchor.

APM215

Pratt & Whitney
Thermo ESHP 640
Mechanical SHP 561
Shaft RPM 6120

O-YA. LOL
CLARK 55AG LOADER

truckdoctor

If you like detroits and want over 400hp, install an 8v92. They will build 440hp in a truck configuration and 750hp in a marine configuration. The best part is you can order everything from the detroit dealer to build it either way. The 6v92s are 350hp for truck application and 550hp for marine application.

jh1990

how about a 5.9l 24 valve Cummins Turbo diesel with the p7100 mechanical IP, 120 hp injectors, #6 fuel plate pulled full forward, big honkin air filter, 4" down pipe to 5" exhaust? and maybe an 8 or 9 spd behind it?

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd stick with the NHC250. They are very reliable motors and have no problems doing the jobs for which they were designed...low speed, off-road work. The NHC250 was used for years in over-the-road trucks. The limiting factors with these trucks are the gearing and the transmission (and brakes), but they have plenty of power to do the jobs for which they were intended.

Crash_AF

I'd tend to agree with you, but up here at altitude (about 7k) the poor N/A 250 is only putting out 190HP. I'd much rather put a 350 or 400 Cummins with a RR 9 speed in it. Oh, and Jakes... jakes would make the descent much less eventful.

Later,
Joe

M1075

I have a 400 Cummins and Allison tranny for sale/trade if anyone is looking to make the leap and seek out more hp. Send me a PM if interested.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Joe (CRASH_AF)...good point on the altitude affecting the performance of the motor. If the truck motors are like some other equipment (generators), they designed it to work optimally at 3,000 feet above sea level or below.

good choice

I agree with Will the M11 would be a great choice for the M809.

A 237/300 Mack would be a good choice also with the max torque something around 900 rpms. I believe it would fit well with the current 5 spd setup for lugging capability between gears. Plus the Mack inky soot is an added value....
Andy

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
If you like detroits and want over 400hp, install an 8v92.
The 8 bangers have power but:

They are heavy.
They suck fuel.
They are heavy.
They have a two stroke power band.
They are heavy.
They slobber when idling over a few minutes.
Oh yea.....they are heavy.
Give me a 60 series anytime over the "Yamahas".
Drove them all and prefer a 4 stroke engine in a truck.

madsam

"Oh yea.....they are heavy. " .. LOL... :lol:

I drove a 99 Freightliner with a Detroit series 60 430 hp in a swift truck with an Eaton 8. We were governed at 60mph, but up hill with a full load 80,000 lbs we usually passed people. And we got 6 to 8mpg with a full load. My last tip with them I ignored the 60mph limit and coasted down hills from Huston to Denver and got an average of 10 mpg. I real liked those engines. And if you can get the computer with opt idol, it is nice in cold places. The engine would start once it got down to freezing for 10 mins then shut off. So no cold starts.

I drove come cats after that, which worked fine, but they seemed to be louder at speed. More rattle and banging in the same style Freightliner .

As far as the 250 in them at altitude. I still plan to put a turbo on mine. No increase of fuel, just get the air pressure back in the intake when at 10k feet. It seemed to do good in Baton Rouge at sea level, but now in Cripple Creek, it is a dog..

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last w-end was the first time I noted a power difference in the deuce. From around sea level to 5k was a very noticable transition. I thought there might be a problem, but, then remembered the alt. change and just enjoyed the smoke for a bit. Got worried though when I passed a CHP on the side of the road and had a black plume following me, but he just waved 8)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks