• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FAQ Thread for CUCV's

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok have been looking at other theeads but can't find an answer. Can anyone tell me I
If both alternators are 12v left and right. Or if one is 24v only. Only reason I ask I found a yard that the guy said they are bOth 12 but with the wiring passenger side shows 24. Is this correct? Because odd yes than I Xsan take my sPare 12 and use it on the 24v side.
The answer is that on all stock CUCVs (except the M1010) have two 12v alternators.

The drivers side alternator "feeds" its 12v into the ground of the passenger side alternator which shows up as 24v on the output terminal.

This is why you MUST have an isolated ground alternator on the passenger side.

The drivers side alternator is usually an isolated ground unit also , although it doesn't have to be.

The military used the same alternator on both sides just so they could only stock one type of alternator

Last edited:

bchesley

Ok have been looking at other theeads but can't find an answer. Can anyone tell me I
If both alternators are 12v left and right. Or if one is 24v only. Only reason I ask I found a yard that the guy said they are bOth 12 but with the wiring passenger side shows 24. Is this correct? Because odd yes than I Xsan take my sPare 12 and use it on the 24v side.

They are both 12V. Just run in a series to get 24. They are interchangeble in stock form.

Last edited by a moderator:

MT4222

The best place to get the glow plug relay is at CUCV Electric. They have many parts for the electrical systems on cucv's. The relay costs $25 and everything else is very fairly priced. Quick shipping and knowledgeable workers.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Starter information.

DD - direct drive
GR - gear reduction
starter bolt - 15544950
bracket bolt - 14060613 - M8 x 1.25 x 20 - hardware store
starter bracket DD - 14028931
starter bracket GR - 23502557
DD rebuild kit - http://www.aspwholesale.com/index.ph...productId=6174
GR rebuild kit - http://www.aspwholesale.com/index.ph...productId=5977
DD rebuilt 24v starter - Wilson WIL 91014376
GR rebuilt 24v starter - Wilson WIL 91014417

Pictures of the Gear Reduction (left) and Direct Drive (right). Also a picture of a broken block starter ear because the support bracket wasn't reinstalled. And a picture of a gear reduction starter with the support bracket installed.

Attachments

Last edited:

scoutdoors1000

For bad field coils in your starter
J&N has it in regular torque and for gear reduction. Their part number is 26112091. That is the 24V field coil for regular torque starter. They also have gear reduction coils if need be. Cost is $48.38. http://www.jnelectric.com/ HOT Diggity dog. 30 day return

Ennis products www.ennisproducts.com Part no 230157 currently on back order so cannot get price.
J&N www.jnelectric.com 26112091 $48.38

Iceman3005

Having problems with your original filter model 80 base, here are the parts numbers for everything you need to fix a leak!

Filter base p/n:24285
Fuel heater O-ring p/n:15596600
Fuel heater (comes with new O-ring) p/n:29090
Vacuum/Pressure Switch (comes with new O-ring and wire/connector) p/n:26159 or 15593308
Vacuum/Pressure Switch O-ring only p/n:15581419
Bleeder screw p/n:15535678
Water in Fuel sensor (comes with wire/connector) p/n:15546658
Clamp for holding filter p/n:15596613

These parts can be found at a standyne dealer, ebay, or by typing part number into google, their are several companies out there that have NOS parts or they are still in production. The shorter numbers are standyne, the longer numbers are GM P/N.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks