• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Farewell to LMTV

sjohn116

I just sold my LMTV to a Veteran's non-profit; they bought my M1081 and a local M35A3 to load up with gear, supplies, fuel, etc. in a quest to go help the imminent relief effort in Florida after IRMA. I'm sad to see it go, but I'm glad to see it go to a good group, put to a good use, and get some miles on it. Now I'm left with my Tiger Tool u-joint puller, new air dryer and bracket, driver and passenger door glass, and a couple air/hydraulic cab lift pumps sitting in my garage, without much need for use. If you need any of these, PM me.

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry to hear sjohn116. However, if someone mobilizing for Irma impact zone offered to buy mine today, I would do the same thing. There is always someone out there that need the equipment worse than a hobbiest. That's one of the reasons the hobby interests me... It can be useful! There are also more trucks to buy that need your knowledge to get them roadworthy. I'm sure another will come along for you.

sjohn116

During conversation with the buyer, as we were doing the paperwork and finalizing the transaction, he asked what prompted me to purchase the vehicle in the first place. I told him it was destined to be a 'living legacy' for my cousin, USMC 1st LT Ryan McGlothlin, who was killed in combat in Iraq in 2005 (I know, the truck was ARMY and he was USMC, but I digress). The events surrounding his death were never fully disclosed to the family, but the short version we were given was "his unit was ambushed, and he sacrificed himself providing cover fire to get his platoon out of the building where the ambush occurred." At the time of his death, they located a poem in his pocket, on a piece of paper he always carried with him. The poem was entitled "DONT QUIT." I hadnt yet gotten around to it, but I had intended to have my LMTV tagged with a vanity plate: "DNTQU1T" Sadly DNTQUIT wasnt available, someone already has that tag in MD and its NOT on a vehicle befitting of such a license plate.

This is all to say the seller, a veteran himself and spearheading the veteran non-profit going to FLORIDA, offered to stencil my cousins name on the truck as the OIC once they get back from their efforts in Florida. I couldn't ask for a better use of the truck and a better rolling memorial for my cousin.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's an awesome way to see it go. When I was in, I had "FIDO" (F' it, drive on) in my helmet. My first truck had the plates "DRIVON". Maybe they will send you a couple action shots of it in the waters.

I sent you a PM.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
SJOHN116, that was a very nice thing to do and a great tribute to a fallen patriot and warrior.

longrange4u

Haha... hey guys. Well, I was the guy that bought it... and although we misspelled the name on the way down, we are fixing in now that were back. SJOHN took great care of the truck, it ran like a top down to FL, for the week and back. LMTV window.jpgLMTV Fuel.jpg

FloridaAKM

That first picture looks hauntingly familiar. Longrange4u, excellent work on your end. Glad to hear that all worked out for you on the trip & helping folks in Florida in their time of need.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks