• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

fast idle temp switch

jimmyjimwas

QUOTE=timarr;1584670]Sir, you are correct that's the sensor. You best bet is napa. It has to be ordered but will 39 bucks instead of 80 bucks or more elsewhere. part # ts7265[/QUOTE]

Fast idle not working also here......Bought the napa part 34 dollars and Bang fast idle works again..
Thanks to all that helped with this thread :lol:

Drunkle Scuzzy

Mine seems to be sticking, thanks for the information. Any other tips on lubricating it? I always appreciate your advice.

The fast idle solenoid is known to either stick or go bad, causing no fast idle. Test for power to it, before assuming the switch is bad. Lubricate it with your favorite spray lube and exercise it by hand to get it moving smooth and easy. Press the throttle down while starting and see if you get fast idle(the solenoid needs no resistance to actuate properly).

tim292stro

Yup just replaced both the cold-switch and the GP temp sensor, the switch was about $100, while the sensor was $25. A new solenoid is about $115 now. The shaft that goes through the center of the solenoid body can get dirty and jam up just due to the design (complete pass-through).

Probably easiest to work on it while it's off the injection pump. Pull the limit screw out then withdraw the armature from the center of the solenoid body. Clean the center passage then put some dielectric grease in the passthrough. Clean/polish the armature and lube it up too (same lube), reinstall the armature and install the limit screw again. When you put the solenoid back on the truck you need to lube the contact point on the throttle lever of the injection pump with white lithium grease (doesn't displace, does better with metal on metal contact), and then you need to re-adjust high idle per -20 TM (800RPM) when warm.

Make sure you don't forget to check the return spring on the throttle lever :beer:

Drock

I just replaced my fast idle solenoid today $98.00 on Ebay was the cheapest I could find it. The technical name and part number are as follows......ACdelco...fuel injection idle speed actuator, #14066255. Mine was shutting off prematurely. when I took it off all the guts were loose.

m1008chevy

Just to confirm before I purchase it, the fast idle temp switch should give a full 12V to the green wire going to the injection pump and solenoid when the engine is cold right? When i put the volt meter on the green wire going to the injection pump, i get between 4 and 8 volts. It fluctuates rapidly, and I assume thats why the fast idle will sometimes kick in but cut out immediately or not even work at all.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes you should have a full 12v on the green wire when the engine is cold.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oreilly auto still has the BWD WT7266 switch for $70. While it is still expensive it is cheaper than Napa. And it comes with a lifetime warranty.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rockauto.com lists the GM version for less than $100

Last edited:

magic marouke

ive just ordered this part as the male contact also broke away from the sensor . my wire boot melted so is junk .after putting new connectors on the wires does it matter which way round the wires go on the sensor ?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks