• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Father just bought a 1952 M38A1

Hooper

Sounds like a sweet deal. It's a 1952 m38a1 from AZ with 2500 miles on it. It's been sitting outside here in Michigan for the last 8 years but appears to be very solid. Not to bad for 500 dollars.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
At $500 you did ok (probably good), but it will need a LOT to get back in action.

Ignoring the mechanical issues (brakes, fuel and ignition issues, etc.) someone has cut a tailgate into it (A1's didn't have tailgates), looks like the military wiring and carburetor are long gone, etc. So you'll have a lot of work to do finding the correct parts and undoing the civilian cutjob.

How is the tub in terms of rust?

Hooper

At $500 you did ok (probably good), but it will need a LOT to get back in action.

Ignoring the mechanical issues (brakes, fuel and ignition issues, etc.) someone has cut a tailgate into it (A1's didn't have tailgates), looks like the military wiring and carburetor are long gone, etc. So you'll have a lot of work to do finding the correct parts and undoing the civilian cutjob.

Very solid. Surface rust but that's it.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I agree.
My first M38A1 was a total basket case and was missing the engine/drive train.

You can do well with this one...just gonna take some work.:beer:

Attachments

modified

I'm curious if you can post some more pics of the pass side, battery box lid on the cowl an the interior of the bed. curious to see if that tub you have is indeed a 38A1.

zout

Hooper - pretty much agree with everyone here - you did not overpay for it as there are a lot of parts just as a small group would cost you more than that to aquire.

See your from GR - I use to live N of there in Amble and worked at the Freightliner Dealership out on the South End my 56th St.

Hope to see your transport home pics coming and the work pic's of your achievements on it. You can do it - :grd:

tigger

Medic.
In Memorial
Give it to Zout he'll have it driving by next week![thumbzup]
Evey one told me to junk my jeep when i got it but i didn't listen and that was 10 years ago, i am almost done with it for the second time, It's the love of the challenge!

Hooper

Hooper - pretty much agree with everyone here - you did not overpay for it as there are a lot of parts just as a small group would cost you more than that to aquire.

See your from GR - I use to live N of there in Amble and worked at the Freightliner Dealership out on the South End my 56th St.

Hope to see your transport home pics coming and the work pic's of your achievements on it. You can do it - :grd:

I try to add some pics later but it turns out that the jeep is an air force jeep. Under several layers of paint it says U.S. Air Force For Offical use only. It looks like the jeep was all blue with od green axles?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks