• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Favorite tires for a cucv?

79Vette

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My m1009 has a set of Goodyear MT/Rs in 33x12.50 R15 that are about worn out, and I'm looking to replace them in the next few months.

That tire is no longer manufactured in that size unfortunately, so I need something else. I drive on the highway a lot getting out to the trails (150-250 miles each way) but when I'm off road I really want a high performance tire.

I'm looking at BFGoodrich KM3, Firestone Destination MT, and Falken
Wildpeak MT, but don't have first hand experience with any and I am open to suggestions.

What I am looking for:
  • At least as durable as the MT/Rs. I've cut the sidewalls on 3 KO2s, and am tired of dealing with that nonsense
  • At least as good on dirt, granite and sandstone as the MT/Rs.
    • I don't drive in mud or snow too much, and have lockers chains and a winch if needed. The main surfaces I'm on are random dirt/loose rocks, solid granite (Sierras), and solid sandstone (Utah)
  • As quiet, low vibration, and as easy to balance as possible. I understand you don't really get any of those things with a dedicated off road tire, but if one mud tire is slightly better than another it's worth considering
I don't really care how much they cost. I just want a good, tough tire that will take a beating and perform off road. No Chinese junk, and no KO2s. Bonus points if they're quieter than other MT tires.

What have you had good luck with on your CUCVs or other similar vehicles?

Last edited:

87cr250r

If you can, get a more modern rim size. I bought some steelies from a contemporary Dodge for my M1008, up from 16 to 17. It opened up a whole new world or tire options without drastically altering the appearance of the truck. I can't speak specifically for the 15" rims.

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am running BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO2 in LT265/75R16 on a 2012 FJ Cruiser. Load Range E.
Now I have 135k miles on this set of tires and still plenty of life left. Have not rotated but this vehicle is full time AWD.
Got 135k on the last set before I changed them. My driving style changed a bit in the last 5 years.
Had a few nails, but I plug them and move along. Driving NYC and Long Island roads and highways 100 miles a day minimum
Road hazards like yooge potholes are not a problem for me.
The key here is getting load range E. I do not believe the load range C tire will give similar results.

I love the tires and for me traction is good. I have used them off road and in sand aired down no problems.

YMMV

I looked online but can't say it will be easy to find load range E on a 15" rim. You might make some calls. BFG does not list them by load range on their website.

Might not be the most aggressive tire out there.

EDIT - did not read your post critically. I guess KO2 is off the table. But I had good luck with the E range. Tougher sidewalls maybe than C.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks