• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

????FDC and Flame Heater already bypassed????

RIDDLE1

Ok so I was going to chase down the cause of the fuel getting into the oil and upon further inspection I think the flame heater and FDC have already been bypassed. What is throwing me off is that the FDC bypass does not look like the diagram I saw here on the site.

What do you guys say? Here are the pics.

Attachments

dutchguy

I'll say with 90% certainty that the FDC is bypassed. The line that curves around the FDC and feeds into the hydraulic head shows that. As far as the flame heater, your pic shows one that's different than mine. My opinion has been that the flame heater can't put fuel in the crankcase cause it puts fuel into the intake. I believe that if the plunger in your hydraulic head is worn or scored, it may pass fuel into the bottom of the IP, that will make it's way into the crankcase.

RIDDLE1

I'll say with 90% certainty that the FDC is bypassed. The line that curves around the FDC and feeds into the hydraulic head shows that. As far as the flame heater, your pic shows one that's different than mine. My opinion has been that the flame heater can't put fuel in the crankcase cause it puts fuel into the intake. I believe that if the plunger in your hydraulic head is worn or scored, it may pass fuel into the bottom of the IP, that will make it's way into the crankcase.
So my best bet would be to have the ip rebuilt? Who rebuilds these pumps?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, your best bet is to remove the shut-off cable side cover and look inside for a fuel leak from the hydraulic head(with in-tak pump on). Then replace the orings if there is a leak. There are 3 of them.

I can't tell if your flame heater is bypassed. If it is done properly, you have a pipe plug in the source hole, and a straight piece of fuel line between the center 2 cylinders(return line).

Your FDC is fine like that. It is bypassed(not functioning) and they simply used new pipe plugs instead of the old fittings.

Last edited:

RIDDLE1

No, your best bet is to remove the shut-off cable side cover and look inside for a fuel leak from the hydraulic head(with in-tak pump on). Then replace the orings if there is a leak. There are 3 of them.

I can't tell if your flame heater is bypassed. If it is done properly, you have a pipe plug in the source hole, and a straight piece of fuel line between the center 2 cylinders(return line).

Your FDC is fine like that. It is bypassed(not functioning) and they simply used new pipe plugs instead of the old fittings.
Ah ha. I will see if I can pull this side cover off tomorrow and go from there. I must admit I am pretty good with nuts and bolts but that IP is kinda worrying me! to many small pieces and springs and stuff! LOL!

The flame heater is not properly bypassed but it is not the source of the problem. I found the two lines that run down to the intake nozzle and the "canister" looking thing on top of the intake. The lines run out of the "canister" but there is no fuel line feeding the "canister" that I can find I have have looked high and low.

sandcobra164

You're FDC is most certainly bypassed, can't tell from pics about the flame heater. You're getting fuel into the oil from the hydraulic head. At 2600 RPM and full throttle, it has to fight a maximum of 80 PSI of fuel from the primary pump "feeding" the injectors. At idle, I want to say it's looking at almost 20 PSI. Anyhow, Diesel fuel will leak readily at the smallest of gaps. If the truck runs good, it's likely just a seal at the base that has gone bad. I'll try and find you a part number that might cross reference to something we could pick up local. If anyone has a source, please post up. I like to learn stuff as well. I've got the TM for the IP saved to my work laptop, I've not tore one of these down yet either but I'd be surprised if we couldn't figure it out with the manual in front of us!!!!

RIDDLE1

You're FDC is most certainly bypassed, can't tell from pics about the flame heater. You're getting fuel into the oil from the hydraulic head. At 2600 RPM and full throttle, it has to fight a maximum of 80 PSI of fuel from the primary pump "feeding" the injectors. At idle, I want to say it's looking at almost 20 PSI. Anyhow, Diesel fuel will leak readily at the smallest of gaps. If the truck runs good, it's likely just a seal at the base that has gone bad. I'll try and find you a part number that might cross reference to something we could pick up local. If anyone has a source, please post up. I like to learn stuff as well. I've got the TM for the IP saved to my work laptop, I've not tore one of these down yet either but I'd be surprised if we couldn't figure it out with the manual in front of us!!!!
Sounds like a plan to me!! Thank you again!

DieselBob

Well if both of those run to the nozzle on the intake than it is bypassed. Normally if all is connected correctly that larger red colored line going to the filter would come from the mechanical pump on the IP. Here is a pic of the normal line hook up.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks