• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FDC bypass info (yes, again)

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd go by the TM, not a magazine article.

thehaas

with the dial indicator what do you think base length or starting measurement should be.you moved it .100 but what length was indicator at.thanks for pictures

Reaper651

I know this is an ancient thread but I too am wondering how to turn the fuel down when bypassing the FDC on a NON turbo multifuel. The LDS troubleshooting TM's procedure with the boost pressure only works for a turbo charged truck. So without a pyro, I was thinking the standard 2 full turns down on the main fuel and maybe 1/4 to 1/2 turn down on the droop would bring it to safe levels. I know I need a pyro even for the non turbo, but my truck isn't street legal yet so I really don't have a way to put a good load on the motor, or enough money for a pyro at this point in time.:whistle: I would like to bypass the FDC though, because I'm going to change the engine oil and I don't want to risk contaminating my brand new oil.

Thanks.

Issa1554

I need some clarification from an old thread. So when I bypass my FDC do I really need to reduce fuel delivery, or can I leave it the same? And about how much MPG would I get if I bypass the FDC?

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you do not turn the fuel down it will cook itself. Typically the re-adjustment is 13 flats.
None of this will impact MPG that is a foot thing.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Your best bet is to install a pyrometer so you don't melt anything.

No you don't have to turn anything down, but you will not know when its melting till its too late.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your best bet is to install a pyrometer so you don't melt anything.

If you want to get the most out of the motor the lessen to Chris.
Not every motor is adjusted the same so you can not go buy what worked for someone else also altitude can have a small effect. Sea level you could run more fuel than someone at higher Altitude. Get the pyro and adjust main fuel then adjust the droop.

brianp454

I have a u tube video that walks through bypassing the FDC. Also, I recall JA Tonka had a web page with his experience with this some years ago that had some great info in it. I did a quick look and wasn’t able to find it. The short version is that prior to bypassing the FDC or modifying the IP, you can stand on the pedal all day and never hit excessive EGT’s. When you bypass the FDC you are eliminating a path that bled off a little fuel all the time (and varied greatly), this “turning it up” a small bit. I find that EGT’s only get too high in 4[SUP]th[/SUP] or 5[SUP]th[/SUP] high on the freeway, especially with heavy grades. I have a pyro and boost gage on my steering column and ran it for a while to learn how it behaved before bypassing the FDC. I advise doing the same. Assuming your injection pump hasn’t been modified and you have an LDT-465, bypassing the FDC will allow you to hit excessive EGT’s under heavy load conditions. You can establish your own method or level for managing how hard you run the engine. If you check the TM for the injection pump there are a couple tables that have great info. Bypassing the FDC has little if any effect on MPG.

I need some clarification from an old thread. So when I bypass my FDC do I really need to reduce fuel delivery, or can I leave it the same? And about how much MPG would I get if I bypass the FDC?

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you bring up the main fuel to a max Temp. but don't reduce the droop you will waist fuel in the lower end of the rpm scale. Forgot who be he tweeked his droop after a bypass and adjusting the main he said there was a small amount of fuel saving there from what he found.

Last edited:

Issa1554

Thanks for the help
Can I ask one more question? I don't mind reducing on the fuel flow to the engine. so this would make me get a little more mpg, but at the same time loose power. Is there anyway to boost the multifuel engine?

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the help
Can I ask one more question? I don't mind reducing on the fuel flow to the engine. so this would make me get a little more mpg, but at the same time loose power. Is there anyway to boost the multifuel engine?
The way to get the best out of your motor is a pyro, tweek main and reduce the droop. No other way around it.

pjwest03

So I plan on hot rodding my Duece a bit this winter. is there a link to order the gauges Pyrometer ect?
The source of gauges is mostly a matter of preference. I went with Hewitt Industries http://www.hewittindustries.com/. They will set them up to your preferences and the prices are quite reasonable. They also supply them with 24v illumination upon request. The are a number of gauge threads if you search the forum.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks