• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FDC fuel efficiency

russ132

I know that this may be a silly question... especially since a deuce is not fuel efficient to begin with.
How much does having the FDC connected affect the fuel consumption? I am familiar with the operation of the device and it seems to me that having it connected would allow less fuel through thus increasing your mileage. Does having it connected make a significant difference?

russ132

Sorry, I did not mean to insult any deuce. Mine is quite efficient at many things. I guess I meant fuel efficient as compared to say a Prius or some other super fuel efficient car. So no difference even on thicker fuels? Cool.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Russ, bypass the FDC. There is a tendency for them to leak fuel into the crank case oil. Bad for your motor if that happens. With it bypassed, you might notice different performance with different fuels, but I doubt it.

Oh yeah, I got those things, they are great. Thanks!

JasonS

Here are some numbers:

8V92:
0.345 BSFC minimum at 1700 RPM, for an efficiency of roughly 39.8%.
0.355 BSFC at rated horsepower, for an efficiency of roughly 38.7%.

Series-60:
0.311 BSFC minimum at 1550 RPM, for an efficiency of roughly 44.2%.
0.315 BSFC at rated horsepower, for an efficiency of roughly 43.7%.

LDS-465
0.400 BSFC minimum at 2000 RPM, for an efficiency of 34%
0.430 BSFC at maximum horsepower, for an efficiency of 32%

5.9 Cummins VP44
0.334 BSFC minimum at 2000 RPM, for an efficiency of 41.2%
0.365 BSFC at maximum horsepower, for an efficiency of 37.7%

Last edited:

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think BSFC can be used for different purposes depending on what the manufacturer wants to sell, there are many variables, see plot below.

What I'm suggesting is that the multifuel may be much more efficient at less than full power conditions and afaik, manufacturers don't like to specify these numbers any longer because of the variables involved.

Attachments

Last edited:

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Russ, bypass the FDC. There is a tendency for them to leak fuel into the crank case oil. Bad for your motor if that happens. With it bypassed, you might notice different performance with different fuels, but I doubt it.

Oh yeah, I got those things, they are great. Thanks!
When you run your deuce fully loaded (cargowise), you will notice a difference in power for different type of fuels. Veggie oil/biodiesel will not give you as much power as regular diesel for example and lower EGT also.

gimpyrobb

I should have said that Bjorn, I do notice my truck likes diesel the best, but it is not THAT much of a difference.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Our local Valvoline 10 minute oil change is filling my 55 gal barrels with only their used ATF. They have a ATF vacuum to remove the fluid and install fresh. I take this and run it through a dual filter system. This for me runs better than Diesel and I pay Sam the MGR $50.00 per barrel. So that equates out to $27.50 for 55 gallons of fuel. Cant beat that with gramas stick....

gimpyrobb

Good deal on the fuel. I get hydraulic oil, Wmo, gas/diesel mix, and transformer oil. I blend it all together, filter, and run it.

JasonS

What I'm suggesting is that the multifuel may be much more efficient at less than full power conditions and afaik, manufacturers don't like to specify these numbers any longer because of the variables involved.
Agreed but this should hold true for other diesel engines, too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks