• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fdc

militarytrux

Good evening all,

Just wondering if there is any advantage to bypassing the FDC? I run diesel and will play around with WMO and ATF in the future maybe french fry oil as well.

Thanks for the advice.

Chevytruck

The FDC leaks after a while of use...

you don't need it for the truck to be a multifuel

the engine is what makes the truck multifuel

lets see what other people say

:popcorn:

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine is still hooked up and working. The only disadvantage I could see is that if you ran a thin fuel, like gas or a mix of it, the pump will meter for a dense fuel and possibly mess things up.
See if Bjorn chimes in, he's the best at this.

scooter01922

Benefit numero uno is that you can stop worrying about it blowing a seal and diluting your oil. Otherwise i think its all a crapshoot. Sure it does something but exactly what is debatable if you will be running mostly diesel. The engine makes it a multi, not the FDC. :-D

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The FDC, actually a device that adjusts the fuel delivery to the engine IP based on its viscosity, not density....
For the fuels specified for this engine in the TMs and on the dash data plate, the "heating value" is directly proportional to the viscosity. That means that if you run on #2 diesel, you need less fuel to produce a given power output compared to gasoline and the "FDC" adjusts the IP stop plate, so that less fuel is in fact made available for a given position of the ""gas" pedal.

The FDC does not work for everything that you may dump in the fuel tank, for example, veggie oil and biodiesel. These fuels have lower heating values than would be indicated by their viscosity, so the FDC reacts in the wrong direction.

The piston and associated parts within the FDC rely on lapped surfaces for metal to metal seals and micron size hard particles can ruin these seals and cause a leak of fuel from the FDC into the IP below and mix with the crankcase oil.

Old steel fuel tanks are not the friend of the FDC (not the IP either for that matter), rust particles too small to be filtered (2 microns or less) can cause a leak.

Guess after 30 or 40 years (truck was designed for 20), you have a choice to replace the fuel tank or bypass the FDC, the metal to metal seals within the IP are still at risk. Perhaps if aluminum fuel tanks had been used, the problem would never had surfaced (no pun intended).

dabtl

I guess when I run through the current fuel in the tanks it will be time to take them to the radiator shop for a thorough cleaning to get rid of the last possible rust in the fuel system. I am 100% spin on filters now and the tank is the last place to hide rust.

I wonder if there is some kind of coating for the interior of the tank to prevent new rust from developing?

I kind of have this vision of an IP failure, buying a replacement and installing it only to find it failing from rust also.

You are very helpful Bjorn, you just make me work harder than I want.:-D