• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Feb. 19, 2020: News for Michigan MV's

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Attachments

Marquette

I did read that page several times. I didn’t look into the actual definition of a farm. Maybe I can haul gravel to build a road into my property that will soon become a farm? There are other people that are claiming that it’s no big deal and they just put a farm plate on their trucks. I know there are laws, but wondering how it’s all interpreted.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did read that page several times. I didn’t look into the actual definition of a farm. Maybe I can haul gravel to build a road into my property that will soon become a farm? There are other people that are claiming that it’s no big deal and they just put a farm plate on their trucks. I know there are laws, but wondering how it’s all interpreted.

Marquette

If you have to have a legitimate current operating farm business then it’s pretty straightforward about the plate. My thoughts were I have land, I’m building roads and cleaning the property. Hauling gravel one day, hauling scrap tires that someone left in a creek, and piles of garbage the next.

TheQuaker

If you have to have a legitimate current operating farm business then it’s pretty straightforward about the plate. My thoughts were I have land, I’m building roads and cleaning the property. Hauling gravel one day, hauling scrap tires that someone left in a creek, and piles of garbage the next.
Please, please, please do not even consider getting farm plates if you are not sure you meet the registration qualifications and you mention "open for interpretation" when discussing the law and that people are saying it is "not a big deal" to run farm plates erroneously...

Here, I'll help you out....It is a big deal to falsely run Farm plates and no, you don't qualify.

Just building things, clearing land and hauling junk from a piece of property you own does not make your land a farm or you a farmer!

Farm plates ARE NOT a way to work around vehicle registration laws to get reduced fees by non-farmers. If you want to play with big toys, don't own a farm and don't want to deal with historical registration restrictions then you need to ante up and pay the price to license them legitimately.

If people keep trying end runs around the SOS to get cheap registrations for their MV's like this, the state will be forced to crack down even harder and make it even more difficult or impossible to register a surplus truck for anything other than parade duty!!!

My family, along with untold numbers of other farm families across the U.S., rely on reasonably priced, easy to maintain and hard-working surplus military trucks. Military use and farm life have similar equipment needs and expectations.

Do not mess this up for legitimate farm users of surplus trucks and the MV community in general to save a few bucks and hope you don't get caught. We will all end up paying the price: farmers, commercial users, and hobbyists.

Title and register your trucks according to how you plan to use them and in accordance with the law.

If you can't "pay to play" they way you want with your truck, you need to re-think your choice of vehicle/hobby. Simple.

Sorry for the rant, but as a Michigan Centennial Farm family we are depending on our farm equipment (including our MV's) to get us deep into the second century of our family ownership and issues like this touch a nerve as they will negatively impact my family and uncounted others as well.

Things are hard enough already...

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Marquette

Please, please, please do not even consider getting farm plates if you are not sure you meet the registration qualifications and you mention "open for interpretation" when discussing the law and that people are saying it is "not a big deal" to run farm plates erroneously...

Here, I'll help you out....It is a big deal to falsely run Farm plates and no, you don't qualify.

Just building things, clearing land and hauling junk from a piece of property you own does not make your land a farm or you a farmer!

Farm plates ARE NOT a way to work around vehicle registration laws to get reduced fees by non-farmers. If you want to play with big toys, don't own a farm and don't want to deal with historical registration restrictions then you need to ante up and pay the price to license them legitimately.

If people keep trying end runs around the SOS to get cheap registrations for their MV's like this, the state will be forced to crack down even harder and make it even more difficult or impossible to register a surplus truck for anything other than parade duty!!!

My family, along with untold numbers of other farm families across the U.S., rely on reasonably priced, easy to maintain and hard-working surplus military trucks. Military use and farm life have similar equipment needs and expectations.

Do not mess this up for legitimate farm users of surplus trucks and the MV community in general to save a few bucks and hope you don't get caught. We will all end up paying the price: farmers, commercial users, and hobbyists.

Title and register your trucks according to how you plan to use them and in accordance with the law.

If you can't "pay to play" they way you want with your truck, you need to re-think your choice of vehicle/hobby. Simple.

Sorry for the rant, but as a Michigan Centennial Farm family we are depending on our farm equipment (including our MV's) to get us deep into the second century of our family ownership and issues like this touch a nerve as they will negatively impact my family and uncounted others as well.

Things are hard enough already...

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
Just a little background here, I’ve owned an M35A3 deuce for apprx 5 years and it’s been weight plated. I was surprised to see that this guy had a Farm plate on his M51A2. I know I had been through lengthy conversations about plates when I bought the deuce, but talking to this guy rekindled the excitement about possibly using a cheaper plate. He’s using it in a much more rural setting so it may be easier for him to get away with it.

I wouldn’t worry too much about other users if I were you, as they would likely only be messing it up for themselves with fines and having their plate taken away.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a little background here, I’ve owned an M35A3 deuce for apprx 5 years and it’s been weight plated. I was surprised to see that this guy had a Farm plate on his M51A2. I know I had been through lengthy conversations about plates when I bought the deuce, but talking to this guy rekindled the excitement about possibly using a cheaper plate. He’s using it in a much more rural setting so it may be easier for him to get away with it.

I wouldn’t worry too much about other users if I were you, as they would likely only be messing it up for themselves with fines and having their plate taken away.
Michigan even gives you the option of 3 month, 6 month or 12 month GVWR plates , so you can choose .

Marquette

Michigan even gives you the option of 3 month, 6 month or 12 month GVWR plates , so you can choose .
I usually end up going 3 months at a time either because of winter or working out of town for long periods. A couple hundred bucks for a 40k plate for 3 months isn’t bad at all.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On the farm plates, firstly if your not filing a schedule F with your taxes, in most all cases your not legally eligible for farm plates. Also when you need your insurance to come to your rescue, they will say sorry we’ve been taking your premium payment all this time, but your SOL on your own with the claim against you.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks