• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Federal Signal 24V rotator light

Hey all! Just purchased, at the Aberdeen show, a MIB never hooked up 24V Federal Signal rotator light. And now, I'm trying to figure out the best place to mount it. The M1009 already has a lightbar on it (LED, which I'm removing). I'm considering a center roof mount for the light, or the older idea of a 'side mount with pole'. Haven't decided yet. Either way, though, I need the wiring harness that goes with the light! Just not sure which is the better idea. Doesn't seem like that hard a job to do (the LED was a snap, but the vehicle isn't being used for security work anymore and I want to make it look more 'original' so that bar has to go).

Any ideas appreciated. I've run a search but couldn't find any info on doing this, or the correct part I need. Thanks!

Jason

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would put it on a pole, easy to remove if you decide to go trailriding in it. Lights on the roof tend to attrach large branches. I know, because I busted the lense off the same type of light, and I cannot find a new lense.

saddamsnightmare

MAy 25th, 2010.

Jason G:

:-DI would suggest a side mount or rear mounted pole, on the corner of your bumper (rear), as these lights take a beating from tree limbs, that's why the deuce mounts retract to just above the cab in the down position. You will have three bolts and two wires, fitted with the rubber Packard connectors, the harness is straightforward. Two wires from your fuse panel, one to a switch on or under the dashboard, then cable the wire to the rear end and up the mast. Use the douglas connectors (one male-one female) to plug your light in at the top of the mast and bolt to the mounting plate. It should work OK, just beware if it has the two sealed beam 28 VDC GE PAR aircraft landing lights, they run about $25.00 to replace each one).

Should you choose to go to an amber strobe instead, keep me in mind, i could use another Federal Signal 28VDC Amber beacon like yours for the right side of my convoy leader deuce "Saddam's Nightmare" on the icon.:mrgreen: I'm having a local machinist fabricate two deuce height copies of the mast(s) for the beacon, want me to see what he would want for a third? You could cut down the bottom and the upper tube to make it the length for a CUCV.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
These Federal model 14 lights were plentiful and cheap a few years back. IIRC Coleman's or Saturn were selling them for $20.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wish I could find one cheap, I need a second one to have a matching pair on my M819.

Just lastnight, I was outbid on one, and this morning I noticed this thread title and thought, so thats who beat me!(not the case though):wink:

Here's the light (along with the box). I like the idea of the pole mount, as I really don't want to drill more holes in the roof. Never thought of the bumper! That might do the trick. Kyle, thanks! I have a local guy that does all my welding here, and I might take the pole I already have to him, to see if he can mod it for me. I still need that harness system though....LOL. I don't want to just rig something unless I can't avoid it, would rather do it 'right':-D

Woah! A hundred bucks....I got a nice deal then. (This was the ONLY light I saw at the Aberdeen show...)

Attachments

Green_gator

A pole mount toward the rear is a great location. These things will drive you crazy when they are running at night. Spent a lot of hours in convoys with these rotating or flashing in the wee hours of the morning. The strobes would cause a corresponding interference in our radios on some frequencies. Think of the radio making a weep....weep kind of sound as the strobe flashes. Will see if I can find any of the pictures of the mounts from our vehicles.

Bobert

I have some of those lights. One came mounted on an aluminum lightbar that clamps onto the gutters above the doors. Kind of ugly but you can take it off and put it on easily.

saddamsnightmare

May 25th, 2010.

Kenny:

You never cease to amaze me as to what you pull out of that bag of tricks of yours..... DO you do anything other then OD iron in the way of a job, as you do seem to be omnipotent and omnipresent...... :beer:

Doghead:

Hate paying a C note for one of these, but then the replacement GE 28V PAR aircraft landing light's like $25.00 each.....:-?! However, two of these going might save my a-s from getting run over on the 1650 mile round trips to Springfield, IL I'm gonna be making with the M35A2 and the M105A2 while I'm moving (at a glacial 50 MPH....)!!

Jason:

Yes, likely you got the deal of the century, that's the way it works. I've forgotten the exact configuration of the CUCV Blazer rear bumper, but you ought to be able to fabricate a "dog leg" at the bottom of the pole and bolt through the rear corner of the bumpers so as to clear the tailgate and the stoplights..... Somewhere on here, one of the members photographed their convoy mast dismanted for the M35A2 for me with dimensions, so you may want to look waaaaaay back in either deuce or electrical foir the item on the convoy mast(s).... Good Luck, Gents,8)
N.B. I think the adjustable mount above the rear of the deuce cab set low (below the cargo tarpaulin top) for off road, and heigh (above the cargo tarpaulin, ought to work well for me on the road. I won't get the flash in the cab, and the truck and trailer ought to be visible for moving at less then highway speed to the other drivers.... I doubt the cops will have much to say, as I will also be using the "Convoy Ahead" sign on the M105A2 tailgate to make her more visible at night also......
and thanks as always for the enlightenment,

Last edited:
I recall the older strobes in the 90's police cars (civilian) and they did the same thing! Used to drive you nuts, yeah. I'd much appreciate any info you could provide. I'm def. leaning toward the rear pole mount now!

Kyle, thanks, I'll try searching for that and see what I can come up with.

Last edited:

saddamsnightmare

May 27th, 2010.

:p AlexT:

Neat picture. In the states the CUCV lead would have a reflectorized "Convoy Follows" on the front end and the last vehicle would have a "Convoy Ahead" sign ditto. Rick Larsen at Rick Larsen's Military Stencils here in the states could set you up with a pair.... It's so rare here in Texas to see something like that, as the state's so huge and the MV owners so scattered.....:(

Armada

I caught a tree branch with one of mine one year and needed a replacement. I bought some from either white owl or adelmans, dont remember which. I bought more than a couple since I thought they were so cheap. About $30 each, NIB like the first post shows. They may still have them.

Nico

May 27th, 2010.

In the states the CUCV lead would have a reflectorized "Convoy Follows" on the front end and the last vehicle would have a "Convoy Ahead" sign ditto. .
...in germany too ;-)

(hi alex)

here the same in desert tan:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_fnFhR9FkY[/media]the halogen lamp last`s about 400h. replacement number is :
general electric GE 4505 PAR-36 28V/50W

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks