• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Federal sticker

covert

Its a issue with the state not the local county office. The local office refered me to the state. I called them and sent in a pic of the "govt. plate" and what I think is the "federal sticker". The "govt. plate" has the weight, vin., ect. on it. The "federal" sticker has wording on it to say "this vehical meets all federal vehical safety standards". I THINK the federal sticker is on the door itself, but it has a piece torn off and is pretty much unreadable.
Apparently the Iowa DOT director dose'nt care that they (military vehicles) are exempt. I suppose their position is the exemption doesnt follow with the vehicle. I think there is a strong case the the exemption follows the truck. The law says the vehicle is exempt not the military is exempt.
Buy the way they renewed all my deuces on the same day as this all went down. Said the were grandfathered in because they had already been registered, before the "crack down".
So I wonder if all thats left is the lawyer up or move to some where else?

Tanner

what are you saying who are you talking to? you make no sense im talking about how i showed them the second vin number in place of the federal tag and it worked.
Read - and learn.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/76754-cucv-vin-number-plate.html

Post #10 - regarding data plates installed by GM on the truck door.

The VIN stamped on the door data plate, the VIN on the metal tag on left dash top at windshield, and any 17-digit VIN stamped into frame should all match. (unless you've got a rebuilt truck with door/cab swapped onto a different frame... and then this can raise a whole new set of issues)

Previous forum messages posted by SS CUCV members over the years have stated that the computers at DMV offices in various states have 'hiccuped' when the clerk tried to run a 17-digit CUCV VIN due to the 'D' in the fifth position, which denotes a military vehicle. It's not like it was a civilian C-Series or K-Series truck - which have VIN's that don't cause red-flags.

My question was about your having shown DMV person the VIN on the frame - did frame number NOT match the VIN on dash or door data plate?? If the DMV is LOOKING for a Federal Certification tag specifically, then showing them a VIN number is NOT the same thing...

'Tanner'

Last edited:

Cucvnut

You are missing my point. My point is I dont care I all ready know this. I really don't understand who you are trying to educate. My frame and cab vin match. Ca has no issues with the federal sticker that's all I was trying to say
Before you decided to make a mountian out of nothing. Hope this clears up your misunderstanding of your misunderstanding.

Last edited:

Matt1031

Its a issue with the state not the local county office. The local office refered me to the state. I called them and sent in a pic of the "govt. plate" and what I think is the "federal sticker". The "govt. plate" has the weight, vin., ect. on it. The "federal" sticker has wording on it to say "this vehical meets all federal vehical safety standards". I THINK the federal sticker is on the door itself, but it has a piece torn off and is pretty much unreadable.
Apparently the Iowa DOT director dose'nt care that they (military vehicles) are exempt. I suppose their position is the exemption doesnt follow with the vehicle. I think there is a strong case the the exemption follows the truck. The law says the vehicle is exempt not the military is exempt.
Buy the way they renewed all my deuces on the same day as this all went down. Said the were grandfathered in because they had already been registered, before the "crack down".
So I wonder if all thats left is the lawyer up or move to some where else?
The federal safety/emissions label with the wording "this vehicles conforms to blah blah blah for the year 19xx" is usually located on the radiator support of a non-military vehicle. I used to look for that sticker every time I had to order parts for a customer's car because it always has the model year and engine on it. On some small import cars, it's on the inside of the hood instead of the radiator support or fan shroud. GM almost always put it on the rad support. That's where it would be located if it was there.

My CUCV doesn't have that sticker and probably never did. 6.2's come in C code and J code flavor. To the best of my knowledge All cucv's have J code engines and J code engines don't have EGR so they probably never qualified for 50 state/Cali emissions standards. Safety yes, emissions probably not. It's a heavy duty truck and it's a diesel, so it's emissions exempt on not just one, but two, criteria in most states.

If they're asking for a picture of the label I'm assuming that they haven't figured out thatyou can tell it's a J code (non EGR) engine by reading the actual VIN or maybe they just don't care. The VIN on mine translates as a 1986 K30 4x4 with 6.2 diesel - nothing unusual/military specific aside from the fact it's a J code engine.

You could also explain that the emmisions label only applies to passenger cars and *light duty* trucks. If your GVCWR is over 8500# (as most 1 tons are) it's not considered a light truck in any state I've ever lived in, hence no sticker. This argument/explanation would probably work for any flavor CUCV *except* the M1009.

Basically what I'm sayin' is.... convince them it's nothing more than a civilian vehicle that was originally purchased by the Military. When dealing with motor vehicle I always downplay the fact that is a ex-gov vehicle by referring mine as an "'86 Diesel K30 4x4 pickup truck" and never mention the words "CUCV" or "M1031". Heck the military bought Plymouth reliant K-cars, just because it has 4 wheels and it's painted olive drab doesn't make it a "military vehicle".

Last edited:

Tanner

Ask the DMV how/why they think it's a military truck... and they'll probably tell you that the red-flag is the 'D' in the fifth position of the VIN... then you can proceed to argue with them about the vehicle being "a civilian K30 Series truck painted camo"...

See how far THAT goes... the DMV-types ONLY know what the computer tells them. Nothing more. No individual thinking. No 'outside the box' thinking. No liberal interpretation of the rules. Nothing.

Here's a point that all seem to miss: Just because someone in the Attorney General's office or Staff Counsel at NHTSA 'interprets' the FMVSS exemption for Military Vehicles as being 'transferrable to subsequent civilian owners', it DOES NOT mean that you are entitled to getting the vehicle registered & titled by any state for use of the vehicle on any public highways. That's the State's call...

If someone can show me where this is stated - that you have a legal or God-given right to registering an ex-MV - I'll publicly admit that I am wrong.

However Covert - I'd personally like to see you get the paperwork you feel you deserve.

'Tanner'

Last edited:

Tanner

You are missing my point. My point is I dont care I all ready know this. I really don't understand who you are trying to educate. My frame and cab vin match. Ca has no issues with the federal sticker that's all I was trying to say
Before you decided to make a mountian out of nothing. Hope this clears up your misunderstanding of your misunderstanding.
You're still confused.

The VIN has NOTHING AT ALL TO DO WITH THE FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD (FMVSS) data plate or decal. Nothing. Nada. Zilch.

The VIN DOES NOT answer the issue of the Federal Safety regs being met. Ever. Never has. Never will.

THAT is the point - and no one in Iowa cares how it's done in California. It isn't relevant. States use the Federal regs as a baseline requirement, THEN they have the ability beyond that to determine what is able to be titled for use on their own public roads.

'Tanner'

Matt1031

Ask the DMV how/why they think it's a military truck... and they'll probably tell you that the red-flag is the 'D' in the fifth position of the VIN... then you can proceed to argue with them about the vehicle being "a civilian K30 Series truck painted camo"...

See how far THAT goes... [...]

'Tanner'
Well that exact argument's got me about 5,000 miles on my "K30" so far. Reminds me, I'm due for another oil change soon. :D

As for the OP, maybe he should just snap a pic of an M1009 air cleaner and show them that.

Cucvnut

You're still confused.

The VIN has NOTHING AT ALL TO DO WITH THE FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD (FMVSS) data plate or decal. Nothing. Nada. Zilch.

The VIN DOES NOT answer the issue of the Federal Safety regs being met. Ever. Never has. Never will.

THAT is the point - and no one in Iowa cares how it's done in California. It isn't relevant. States use the Federal regs as a baseline requirement, THEN they have the ability beyond that to determine what is able to be titled for use on their own public roads.

'Tanner'
Really i did not know a vin is not the same as a fed sticker. woah man how cool thanks for opening my eyes. oh yeah and in CA it comes up as a postal truck not a military vehilce. go tell some one who cares. it must bother you how its done in CA when you live in NC but your crying about iowa ?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks