• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Feeler for M35A2 Hard Tops

emeralcove

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First I am also interested in a possible source for a steel hardtop, as to paint, I have to agree with PyroJoe, most of the new cars have galvanized sheet-metal for better rust resistance and they are painted and repaired after wrecks. Even aluminum requires an etching primer to get the paint to stay on so this nothing new. Great idea, hope you can make it work.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am from the "ragtop" fraction. I would seriously consider your hard top, if it looked like the original and had a price point that is significantly more sane than what people are asking for surplus ones.
Great idea and I wish you success with the prototype!

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On a related topic, have you found any windows from Lippert that are the same size?? I desperately need a new slider, or even a solid window to replace the original that's all rotted.

peashooter

What gauge is the steel? I'm playing with the thickness right now. The reason the deuces are nice is because they are made from such thick metal that they'll take forever to rust. With this galvanized steel, I don't have to worry about rusting, which will allow me to go much thinner. This will also be determined by experimenting with prototypes. Right now I'm thinking 16ga.
I think most of the sheet metal on the trucks is 18gauge so I'd think depending on how you design your hardtop 16g would be great.

I have read that galvanized steel is extremely difficult to paint. Almost all rattle cans state they are not for galvanized metal.
Any paint experts familiar with this issue?
I re-lined my 109 box interior with 18g galvanized and had to read up on how to paint it. There are different ($$) etching paints made just for it, or you can just etch it yourself by lightly scuffing the surface with lighter sandpaper or scotchbrite and then wipe it down with vinegar which is a mild acid and will both clean the surface and etch it. The first layer of paint or primer usually cant be oil based over the Galvanized so using a latex like the home Depot Behr paint works well (lots of folks love to paint their whole truck in that anyway).

PyroJoe

Would it be worth me washing it and priming it so that all you guys have to do is scuff it and top coat it? This will of course add cost, but it will make painting it a no-brainer. This will ensure it is properly primed. I wouldn't warrant the primer against scratches from shipping. I guess I can just add this as an option.

I'm working out the details on getting a shop this week. Once I get my shop, I will begin fabrication immediately. I also have a lead on a 5-ton cab, and I wholeheartedly plan to produce hard tops for them as well, once I get the deuce tops rolling. When my friend was working at the Fort in the 90's, he said they were taking hard tops of 5-tons and replacing them with soft tops, and crushing/scrapping the hard tops!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might want to be more specific. Deuce and 5 tons(M809 series)share the same tops.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am not sure about paying front but will take at least 2 if it happens in the near future.
I got to agree about paying up front , a small deposit maybe but hundreds of dollars no way . Just look at the problems that came about with the hydraulic head group buy and that was a member thats been here awhile .

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If this thread is turning in to a commitment(group buy), we're all done.

You need a good reputation on our site and our approval for that.

PyroJoe

@porkysplace - If things go right, I will be able to make these to order. I've found a new supplier for material, so I won't have to buy in bulk; I'll be able to buy only what I need. In other words, don't worry about pre-ordering. If you want one, you'll pay using Pay Pal, then I'll ship the top. This provides insurance for both parties.

@doghead - This is a feeler. That means I'm measuring interest and taking feedback before starting on/investing in prototypes. There is no need for a group buy on this site as I will be giving SS discounts. I'm not sure why I would need approval to give people a discount, anyways. Are you needing a top/tops? Do you have any preferences/suggestions for how it would be built? That is what I'm after here in this thread.

As far as everything else goes, does $200 seem reasonable for a junked old M35A2 for turning into a welding jig?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will probably ask for 10 people to commit to buying one and ask them to put half the price down (refundable of course in case something goes wrong).
That statement is what we call a commitment, and a group buy.

As for my needs, a stock(visually) replacement top made off a stock top is what I would like to find. (you're not offering that).

This website is not like the rest on the interwebs. We actually take responsibility for others here, to protect them and us.

You still haven't answered my question about how you achieved such high(sustained )rpms. An answer could help with your reputation.

PyroJoe

Sadly, the two buildings I was looking at renting for my business didn't work out (one sold and the other one the owner backed out of the deal). I have my eyes peeled, but I kind of live in the middle of no where, and shop space is hard to come by. I'm saving up to put my own building up, but that won't happen for at least a year.... Wish things would work out so I could get welding, already! I missed my deadline for a farm show where I was going to debut another product. The luck just hasn't been in my favor!