• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Feh. Rockauto screwing up my order for an exhaust system.

Skinny

Diesels have cooler exhaust temperatures, part of the high compression ratio and the fact heat is work is energy. Greater compression ratio, cooler exhaust. That and the fact diesels usually run far lean.
Those are very generic statements. Typically a lean mixture will run hotter EGT's where rich mixtures actually burn cooler than lean ones. Small carb's piston aircraft have mixture adjustemets where a pilot changes the mixture based on EGT and rpm.

Now in a turbodiesel, the EGT goes up with more fuel only because you are feeding it more combined air and fuel which simply creates more heat than an engine at lower boost levels. Hence the EGT increasing with a rich mixture.

Racallahan1

I had issues with Rock Auto before. Ordered belts and hoses for my civvy blazer, and the shipping was more than the cost of the parts at O'Reilly's. I canceled my order and went to O'Reilly's. I guess the parts I selected were in different warehouses, so their system wanted to charge shipping on each item. Caveat emptor people.

Skinny

Sometimes that happens especially on something so small and multiples coming from different warehouses. Belts vary depending on which brand you buy. If you are looking at Dayco belts, they are pretty cheap compared to a more premium brand. You also get a choice sometimes of items that are clearance and much cheaper. I've been using Rockauto for almost ten years since they came online. The very few times I've had a problem, they have always done good on there end with returning parts, sending replacements quickly, or taking care of order issues. You would be hard pressed to find another parts place that is priced cheaper. Unless I need something that minute and have no choice but to go to Napa, I'll buy it online, get a choice of OEM brand name parts, and have them within a couple of days cheaper than a parts store.

MarcusOReallyus

Well, RA apparently decided that shipping for the two headpipes is on my dime. I explained to them that I ordered them based on what Walker told me, after the RA rep transferred me directly to Walker. They basically called me a liar. Said they had no record of my call, and their reps NEVER do that. I emailed back, and they simply ignored my last email.

So, I shipped it all back yesterday. Shipping on the headpipes was twenty two bucks.

The packaging was crap when they shipped it to me. It's going back in FAR better packaging. We'll see if they try to get out of the refund by complaining about the packaging.

So far, I don't think I'll be ordering from RA again.

Last edited:

Ackevor

Well, RA apparently decided that shipping for the two headpipes is on my dime. I explained to them that I ordered them based on what Walker told me, after the RA rep transferred me directly to Walker. They basically called me a liar. Said they had no record of my call, and their reps NEVER do that. I emailed back, and they simply ignored my last email.

So, I shipped it all back yesterday. Shipping on the headpipes was twenty two bucks.

The packaging was crap when they shipped it to me. It's going back in FAR better packaging. We'll see if they try to get out of the refund by complaining about the packaging.

So far, I don't think I'll be ordering from RA again.
I am in the middle of installing this kit here http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...t/22312446-P?navigationPath=L1*14932|L2*14983 .

I bought the cheap walker mufflers and I needed an adapter to get it to fit the large inlet to the exhaust pipe. So far with a quick pre- fit check before I snug anything down it seems to fit well. I used a few of the hangers on the bed supports and was able to use the two extra pipe extension's as added length to keep the mufflers in the stock location. It says the kit is for 131.5 wheelbase which would have been an issue if they didn't include the pipe extension ( I cut the length I needed and coupled it with my mufflers for proper length.) It comes with everything needed except new Exhaust gaskets and manifold bolts ( if needed).

My only concern is with the extra large inlet on the Muffler, the exhaust pipe is considerably smaller than the ID of the inlet and I bought a reducer to slip in between them in the store Part # 548551. If you need to make a butt to butt connection and don't want to weld anything, I got two of these adapters but may just buy a pipe expander and return them. Using the adapters will require a couple extra exhaust clamps.

DONT FORGET TO USE COUPONE CODE TRT30 for 30% off ( Up to $50 Max), this got me the whole exhaust from Manifold back for around $155-160 by purchasing the mufflers in a separate order and having it all shipped to my house free. I added a few other things I needed with the muffler order to meet the minimum $75 free shipping requirement. I suppose with the added adapters and clamps it might be $175

I hope this helps with the noise I was getting with the rotted exhaust its replacing (and added mufflers, straight pipe prior)

MarcusOReallyus

Well, 11 days later, Rockauto has finally refunded the purchase price, but not the shipping charges.

So let's review:

• I ordered an exhaust kit based on what their online catalog said was right for my truck.
  • I didn't realize that I also needed two headpipes. (My fault, I guess, but it's a poor description.)
  • I got the kit, which was a bunch of loose pipes in a big box. ZERO packing material. How they arrived in usuable condition is a mystery.
  • I saw I was missing part of what is needed. I looked more closely at the catalog, and then called them about it.
  • They put me through to Walker, who gave me part numbers after I explained what I have.
  • I spoke to Rockauto and ordered what Walker told me to order.
  • Once I had everything, I tried putting it together on the ground.
  • The kit was a mess. Parts that didn't fit with each other. No way it fit my truck, or any other truck.
  • The headpipes were wrong. They were 2 1/2" at one end, and the wrong length and bends.
  • The headpipes came as the two separate pipes, with some bubble wrap on each end. No other packing.
  • When I emailed them, they said it was my fault because I had mis-ordered, and the kit is correct for a 135.5 wheelbase, and my truck has a 2 1/2" headpipe going into a 2 1/4" muffler. (Anybody ever heard of an arrangement like that?)
  • I responded with the CORRECT information. An 84 K30 has a 131.5 inch wheelbase.
  • They argued that I was wrong and wanted pictures.
  • I responded with plenty of pictures, and links to online info proving them wrong.
  • They finally agreed to take a return, and sent a prepaid shipping label for the kit, but not the headpipes.
  • I emailed and asked about that.
  • They ignored my email.
  • The return paperwork emphasized that the packing had better be really good or I would not get a refund.
  • I waited a few days for a reply, then shipped both products after buying extra shipping materials.
  • I received an email notice that they had received the kit. It stated that they would take 5 days to inspect the packaging to make sure it was good enough for them, and if it wasn't I would not get a refund.
  • Nothing else until today, when I got two emails, one for each order, telling me that a refund had been credited back to my card.
  • They refunded the purchase price only, not the original shipping.
  • So, I"m out the shipping one way for both orders, and the return shipping for one order.
  • Have we remembered that ALL of this is due to their errors?
  • Oh, and along in there they called me a liar, and said that their people would NEVER transfer me directly to Walker.

Needless to say, I won't be buying anything from Rockauto again.

Oh, and anybody who thinks I was abusive or in any way out of line with them can PM me, and I'll send you copies of the emails.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Buying local has it's perks.

MarcusOReallyus

Catch-22. Need the exhaust system to go get the safety sticker. Around here, no safety sticker is expensive, and they are death on it. "I'm on my way to the shop, officer!" will usually get you something like, "Good. You can take this citation with you." :roll:

Besides, what was left of the old system can't be put back in place. Rusted out old exhaust systems don't always unbolt neatly. ;)

Then there's the apprenticeship factor. My oldest boy wants to be a mechanic, and this is good practice for him. I'm trying to let him do as much as possible. (And he's a mean hand with an air chisel on a rusty exhaust system! :mrgreen:)

As for RA, getting an order screwed up is no big deal - it happens to the best. A simple mistake has never bothered me.

But if you never have any problems, you don't really know who you are dealing with. That's great as long as they never screw up.

What separates the good vendors from the "never again" is how they handle a screw up. Telling me it's all my fault and calling me a liar, then not making good on their own error, is not exactly what I look for in a vendor, whether it's car parts or left handed bickle widgets.

So if you keep ordering from RA, and never have a problem, you're good. But if somebody on either end makes a mistake, well, have fun with that.

So, other than RockAuto, any suggestions? I'm thinking of calling LMC truck on Monday.

GPrez

I never had to return anything to RA so my experience was different than yours. I have bought from LMC several times and always good, but their prices are not always the best.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks