• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FEMTT style global explorer

Vom

Ok first: I'm sorry if any topic I bring up is of the "beaten horse" variety, I admit I'm new to the forums and I'm trying to catch up in knowledge as fast as I can. Little background on me, typical nebraska farm boy who joined the navy to see the world and ended up picking the only platform *boomers* that doesn't go to foreign ports. So I've had 14 years to dream up the perfect way to see the world, and I think I've got it half right... lol.

Long story short I want to spend about a year driving as many roads in south america as I can. I don't want to stay in hotels, or really even go near cities if I don't want to. So buy a Global Explorer vehicle right? Well besides the 250k and up price tags, the fact that they're absolutely NOT the right tool for the job, is why I decided: MV.

I know I want to do a MK-48 cab on a 923 frame/axles. Unlike the other similar builds like that, I want to build around the powertrain. So this runs me into a problem. I've yet to find the exact answer besides: "with enough money and time, anything is possible" to my question, so at risk of coming off as a lazy newb who hasn't searched: What power train would work that would provide 1: Ample power to carry around 35,000lbs all the time, in 15k plus altitudes, 2: As good a fuel mileage as possible. I know, I know, it's 35k lbs, I don't want something stupid like 12mpg. I'm talking anything north of 7mpg if possible. If not, so be it! 3: Reliable if properly maintained and not thrashed.

Now I need to side bar here, because I feel too many people will get the wrong idea at what I want out of this engine/trans combo. I plan to count on this vehicle in places where replacement parts do not exist, in some of the worst conditions on earth *south argentina freeze, massive dust storms in chile, rain and mud during the wet seasons*. I want something that isn't wrapping out at 2300 rpm's to maintain 60mph, yet I don't want something that has zero low range. I'd prefer an automated manual with a good range, but I literally know nothing of any of the new transmissions.

I guess lets start with what is your dream engine/trans combo for the above situation? I don't care how outlandish, as long as it's practical.

Also, anyone know of a good fabricator that could build my "rv" frame, near/in AZ?

Tornadogt

My opinion is to start with a M939a2 chassis, the total length of your final project will help you pick what truck to start with M931, M923, M927/M934. Do you need or want OEM hydraulic winch or an electric winch. The m939a2s have an 8.3 Turbocharged Cummins engine, automatic transmission and 2 speed transfer case. They will get 7-8 mpg at 60mph if driven reasonably and still have good off road capabilities with the 2 speed transfer case in low.

red

Would save you alot of time and money to start with a m934, or a m109. Depends on how much space do you need in the camper. M109 will get you a 12ftx8ft camper, m934 is 17ftx8ft when not expanded. You can also take a shelter from a m109 and mount it onto a m931/932

Also keep in mind weight when it comes to the bridges. You can get the weight well under 34k

Vom

The "camper" part will be custom fabbed and part of the truck, not modular. That way I can do the pop up part the way I want, and can choose my own ext/int materials. I'd like to stay under 9' of height, hence why the HEMTT cab front. Why the recommendation for M934, just heavier duty frame/axles? And as far as the original 8.3, I know it's a great engine, I'd just like to have something different, with more low end power. I grew up around big cam cummin's and heavy equipment cat's, so I love low RPM grunt. I'm also a big BIG fan of going bigger so it can work a half power, prolonging the components. Duel fuel pumps so instead of one working at 100%, you have 2 working at 50%

Now that being said, I'm not fully closed on the idea of keeping the 8.3, just think there's better options for this build.

Vom

For those keeping track of the plans so far:

PLS HEMTT Cab
HEMTT A4 style side mount radiator
5-ton donor chassis and running gear
Undetermined powertrain
Custom built tanks between the frames, centerline, for water *200gallons min*
Dual MRAP 78gal self sealing tanks, as well as mid mount *behind the engine bay* 100 gallon tank for combined 250gallons
Mid-mount marine battery boxes for RV power
Undetermined roof mount solar panels *enough charging power to run all electrical on truck, so the trucks alternator only charges the designated engines batteries.
Cat style double up fuel filters with separate water separator
Twin air cleaners to mitigate dust *super bad during dry season*
twin 10gal air tanks, location: one each side above MRAP tanks
Separate onboard air system for power tools, and possibly air lockers/transmission/horns/CTIS
Rear mount twin spare tire carrier, will attach to frame and be added after the "rv" portion is built
Still trying to figure out how I want to do the shower, probably built it into a side entrance to the "rv" portion entryway, along with toilet

So far my estimates for cost aren't bad at all, leaving a lot of room to play when it comes to the power-train, which is good since just my rough searching on ISX motors and eaton fuller 10 speeds comes to 15k to over 30k depending on condition/hours. And we haven't even gotten to the part of making it all fit... I will be going to the MV show in Phoenix next week to take a look at Agazza2's M932A2/MK-48 conversion to get dimensions and see how much room I have to work with here. Hopefully I can talk him into possibly helping out with the build since by then I'll be moving to Phx area! I'll keep my fingers crossed, lol.

Only thing I'm completely clueless on right now is A/C units that can deal with the massive dust/sand... Might just have to custom make some filters for them. I plan on having one on the cab, and another at the rear of the "rv" part, over the sleeping area. I toyed with the idea of a positive pressure cab system but ****, we all know dust and sand will find a **** way to get in the cab, so I'll concentrate more on the doors to the "rv" portion.

Keep the ideas/comments coming, really appreciate the feed back guys!

Vom

Don't need the box, fabbing everything to bolt to the frame. M1093 is 9'3" tall at the cab, this build will be roughly 8'8" tall. Height matters on some of the ferries down south, actually have to plan my routes accordingly. Also the standard shipping container is 8'6" tall, so all I would have to do is air down 3", not a big deal. Non standard shipping container prices are just stupid right now.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't forget when you add a high horsepower motor and transmission your going have to upgrade the transfer case as well to handle the increased power.

Vom

Don't forget when you add a high horsepower motor and transmission your going have to upgrade the transfer case as well to handle the increased power.
Yeah, I'm already figuring on having to get a custom t-case made to clear the new trans. Any worries on down the line as far as diff's and axles?

red

Don't need the box, fabbing everything to bolt to the frame. M1093 is 9'3" tall at the cab, this build will be roughly 8'8" tall. Height matters on some of the ferries down south, actually have to plan my routes accordingly. Also the standard shipping container is 8'6" tall, so all I would have to do is air down 3", not a big deal. Non standard shipping container prices are just stupid right now.
If you want the truck to fit inside a shipping container only a deuce will fit. Any 5 ton has too wide of a body.

With a preference for the larger engines the 5 ton trucks that are an a0 or a1 come with the NHC250 engine. Add a turbo and a few upgrades will get you good power and respectable fuel economy.

To have about 9ft of height tall tires are an issue, also with replacing them if you need one in a remote area. The 11x20 tires are more commercially available. You can lower the engine rpm by changing the transmission to a different model that has a overdrive. The m939 series has a .74 overdrive transfer case and a 1:1 transmission.

Shark Bait

I've got a couple NOS MK48 cabs in the crate with paperwork, I'll see if they list weights one them. Also, there's been a few MK48 radiators that went through GL they are to be layed almost flat on top, I got one crated but no paperwork. The MK's Detroit makes 450 hp and it cools it, so with the correct fan setup could work for you. I've got a couple transmissions and new transfer cases for MK too, can't remember what the tranny weighs but transfer case is probably over 1,500lbs. I helped a client get an LMTV and they installed an RV A/C unit on top, that may not fit your height requirements and using an inverter may not be of your electrical desires.

Dave

Vom

I've got a couple NOS MK48 cabs in the crate with paperwork, I'll see if they list weights one them. Also, there's been a few MK48 radiators that went through GL they are to be layed almost flat on top, I got one crated but no paperwork. The MK's Detroit makes 450 hp and it cools it, so with the correct fan setup could work for you. I've got a couple transmissions and new transfer cases for MK too, can't remember what the tranny weighs but transfer case is probably over 1,500lbs. I helped a client get an LMTV and they installed an RV A/C unit on top, that may not fit your height requirements and using an inverter may not be of your electrical desires.

Dave
Honestly it's the Ferries that really dictate my height, shipping-wise I didn't even think that the axles would be my limiting factor... But if I beef up the doors I can just RORO it and now worry about theft.

Vom

The shortest wheel base possible honestly. It's only going to be me and my gf and our two dogs, and we're both not big on space. I'd say 15ft from the back of the engine. Talking outside dimensions. That leaves a huge amount of space for two people, plus a pop up roof.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks