• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fermont MEP-804A Dies after releasing start switch.

COMEANDTAKEIT

New to this site. This problem may have been addressed before but I need to ask again. Just bought a Fermont MEP-804A generator set. 2003 model with updated tier 2 engine with 950 hours. I put new filters on it and added new fluids. It starts and runs great and produces electricity, but when I release the starter switch it dies.
I have tried the other suggestions I have read in this site. I pushed up the S-7 switch, checked the fuse by the voltage regulator, put grounding rods in and hooked to ground lead. Tried everything I could think of and it still dies when the switch is released.
Any help would be appriceated.

COMEANDTAKEIT

As soon as I release the start switch it dies and loses all power to the control panel. While running there are no fault lights on. I hold the start switch on until the oil pressure reaches 80 psi.

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What color is the back of the S1 switch? Is is square or round?

Do you have a hand held voltmeter handy?
If so we'll need to take a series of voltage walk to see where you are losing the 24 volts when you release S1.
With the meter set to DC volts and it's negative lead connected to chassis ground checking the voltages at the following points to see if it goes away when you release S1.
1) MT4 both of the large terminals
2) CR1 both terminals
3) S17 both terminals
4) CB1 both terminals
5) S2 Terminal 2

All should have 22 to 28 volts on them at all times.

Guyfang

Staff member
If you can, take pictures of the S1. There should be two jumpers on it also. If one of them is missing, it can give you that fault.

Also, have you ever seen it work right? Or did you buy it this way?

Ray70

Am I seeing black magic marker on the connectors on the S1 switch?
If so, that's an indication that someone has messed with S1 before. might want to verify the correct connections as well as tight screws on all the connections.
Test the diodes on the switch jumpers as well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks