• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ferro's rail hauler m818 gets paint

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey guys,
Neil Hendrix came down and between Sat and today, we got the m818 prepped and painted. It came out pretty green, and shiner then I wanted, but it looks pretty good. Neil had to keep on me, as I kept spraying it on pretty think. I've got to get a little bit more paint, for some underside stuff I missed, and the inside of the cab. I'm going to be removing the crusty hardtop and putting a canvas soft top on soon. Neil is also hooking me up with a guy he knows that does the star and letter stencils.

Thanks again Neil, couldn't have done it without you!

What do you guys think?

Attachments

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I took the door panel to Sherwin williams, and they matched it up. i don't think it has a hardener. I just wanted it to look good for a year or two, I'll blast it all the way down and do a proper paint at a later time.

neilhendrix

In Memorial
In Memorial
Well it`s green, I can vouch for that. A little heavy in spots thanks to quick draw ferro. It turned out pretty good overall. little touch up to do but Adam did a good job.

I`ll post pics of the before when I find the cameraaua

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let it dry and scrap it off. Comes off really easy, and there was already tan overspray I needed to scrap anyway. Definitly saved prep time!

zout

Its amazing what a little paint will do - looks good.
Did iya paint from the bottom up to keep the paint runs closer to the ground :)

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, I did start at the bottom and worked my way up. If I ever paint anything again, I will take everything I can off first. I thought I would save time by leaving it on, but you miss to much and overspray other areas to get the hard to reach spots.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm looking to paint my 818 sometime later this year. What else would you have taken off?

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd have taken off the spare tire holder, tool box, and mirrors. I stripped the cab of all the data plates, seat cushions, and switches, but ran out of paint before I even started in the cab.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks