• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

few fuel pump questions

Farmer

Hello everyone,
My father has a M35A2 Deuce sitting dead in the yard,cranks but will not start.When he first bought the truck it would fire almost instantly,but the engine would surge when idle.From what I can gather from the manual,that is a sign of a failing fuel,injector pump.So here are my questions.Who can rebuild this pump,or where can I get one that works? Overall the truck is in nice shape with a clean engine,and I bet my guns that a new pump would spew life back into it. From looking at the pump I know it is not a job for myself,even though my father says "go for it,you can't mess it up". Agree to disagree. Anyway it kills my soul to see it just sitting there,what can be done?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you changed all three fuel filters? Can you hear the electric fuel pump in the tank, running? How much fuel is in the tank? There are several other things to look at before changing components.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Where in KY? I know some in Ky would offer help. I would but can't till after Aberdeen. I also know where a brady new pump is in Ky.

Farmer

Here is what I'v done so far

Changed the primary and secondary fuel filters,unaware of the third filter unless its the inline filter underneath the pump. Cracked the fuel line nuts loose on all six injectors,no sign of fuel.It is flowing nicely through the overflow line coming off the overflow valve assembly.The electric pump in the tank runs nice and strong,tank is half way full and the tank has been flushed out. It will fire up with ether but I have yet to try to open the return line from the I.P to the secondary filter can while it is running.
By the way Gimmpyrodd ,I am in western Kentucky just outside of a city called Madisonville.
It would be great if you know someone in my area that is a good deuce doctor. I think I have reached my limit of diesel repair capabilities ,but I'm willing to pay cash for any lessons. Thanks everyone for the fast response,I'll check back in soon.

sermis

RE: Here is what I

The primary filter is under the ALT on the frame.
Make sure the fuel kill is in all the way. Even if the cable is in all the way the plunger might be sticking.

poppop

My 5 ton dump had sat for a while before it was sold. The guy that bought it started it and it ran wide open so he shut it down with the pull cable. then it would not start. When a diesel is shut down with the fuel cut off cable the governor tells the pump it needs more fuel. Therefore it shuts down in the wide open position. What i found was the shut-down shaft in the pump was seised and would not turn the fuel back on. Lots of WD-40 and manual maniputation of the shaft and it fired up and runs great. If your intake pump is sending fuel to the IP, then you could have a problem like mine. Try a little either and if it hits then fuel is the problem. First check the shutdown and see if it is returning to feed position, if it is then the pump could be bad, but I would check everything else out first.

poppop

Well sermis beat me to it. But one more thing. My M813 had a loose screw on the shut down cable at the pump. When the cable was pulled to stop the engine , and then pushed back in wire just slide through the eye and did not turn the fuel back on.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

unaware of the third filter unless its the in line filter underneath the pump.
The little metal, in line filter, is for the manifold heater. I was not referring to it.
There are three fuel filters(not counting the little in line one). Two of them (secondary filters) are on the drivers side near the firewall, mounted to the engine . There is one (primary filter) under the alternator on the passenger side of the engine.
If you have all three filters changed and the in-tank pump is pumping, then try reading the links below and look at the plunger in the hydraulic head (explained in the links) ,to see if it is stuck.

Check out the info in these links. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=4545&highlight=injection+pump

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=16398&highlight=hydraulic+head

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!

Farmer, looks like you are not too far from Howard Hammond's place. I am real busy getting ready for Aberdeen. If you can wait till I get back, I would be glad to try and walk you through some checks to see where the problem lies. I have a feeling that some of the guys here might get you going before I could help much. Have you turned on the power switch and got out to hear the fuel pump in the tank pumping? I have a take out I could probably send you.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor

sounds a lot like the shut off lever is stuck in off position. pull the cover, 2 screws, and see that the rod and lever move freely.

poppop

NO NO maxim, you missunderstood. I ment before GL sold it. Any green comes to the farm stays on the farm. :D

Farmer

I would like to thank the following people...

M-35Tom,Gimpyrod,Poppop,Doghead,Maxim,Sermis,Sasquatch,Acetomatoco,Wesfolk and Vtach. I'm eating crow and hiding my guns because it was not the fuel pump that was bad.
Today I got out of bed up and checked back in with you guys,and got chills reading what everyone had to say.With such great help I knew the truck would most likely run today for the first time in over a year.

I took the two screws from the shutoff cover and removed it,the spring loaded shaft on the cover itself is shiny and moves like it should.As for the arm,it was stuck and took a good pull with my fingers to get it to move.Sprayed it down with PB blaster,got it to move much better.I moved the arm into the open position all the way,replaced the cover and got really nervous. Climbed into the cab,flipped the switch,hit the little red button,VROOOOOM!! That baby was running wide open like a brick was on the gas pedal. I pumped the pedal trying to get the engine to calm down with no change at all in rpm,other than it was way to high.Then killed the engine with the shutoff lever.
I noticed the shutoff arm under the cap is still stuck,it does not return to its open position when I need it to. Did I do something wrong by moving the arm all the way into the open position before I replaced the cover? I would not think that it would govern how fast the engine would run,but I'v been wrong before. What now fellas?

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: I would like to thank the following people...

Go under the hood and see if the throttle linkage is all the way toward the front of the engine. If it is, see if you can pull it toward the rear of the engine, watch to see if the shaft that the lever is attached to moves when you move the lever. Maybe all you have is a sticking throttle shaft or a bound up linkage or a broken/non existant return spring.

ASTFU

mine would not start (hole in line) but I got it started using wd40 sprayed into the turbo as it was being turned over fired right up alot better than ether plus it lubes.Thom

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
farmer, remove the cover again and free up the shaft. it must move VERY easily. some type of solvent like laquer thinner perhaps, then lube it with light oil.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks