• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Few problems with the wiring, yet again

84cucv1ton

I am working on a blazer with a friend trying to get it going. He dropped off the starters and alternator to be rebuilt. why we were waiting for those we work on the wiring. First off the fusible link wire melted the same as it did on my pickup truck when my starter got stock and I pulled off the front battery cable thinking i would be okay. Then the wire by the glow plug controller melts. went to Napa spliced then new fusible link covered it up which shrink tubing. Did the dog head relay mod why we're at it. Clean every wire connection and ground front to back. I mean everything took everything apart.
got the starter and alternator's back in. The headlights on the driver-side and turn signal up front are not working. taillights seem to be fine as does the passenger side. Here's the big one starter is not getting power. Can hear the relay click.. running at a time on this.need to finish this up so I get back to my truck..
Any ideas? As always thanks for the help[thumbzup]

cucvrus

Did you try it before you cut the original starter relay out from under the dash? That in itself could be the issue. Your choice. I never did that modifacation. Not sure what your issues are. Very difficult to diagnose via internet. But I always check what I done last to create the new issue. Was that the cause. I hope you undrstand what I am saying. The more you do and change the more you make the diagnosis more difficult. Are you sure you have a good starter? Good Luck. Sorry I can not help anymore.

number9er

I hope I'm not jumping in on your thread when I shouldn't be, but I've got a similar issue and a couple of ideas that might help.

My starter was occasionally hanging up or not turning when I'd turn the key. The first time it happened I popped the hood and could have sworn I saw a little smoke but couldn't find any burnt links or wire. Three hours later the truck started no problem. Started for weeks with no issue after that. Then one day in the bank teller drive through I cut the engine to do my bank biz and went to start it and [click] nothing. I pushed it out to the parking lot and finally got it started by banging on the starter with a hammer (I thought). Decided to order and install a new starter. Got one from DB Electrical. Fast forward about a month to last night. No starting issue for the last month, went to start the truck and [click] nothing. Tapped on it with a hammer and it finally rolled over.

The thing is, I have a hard time believing I've worn out that starter in a month considering I don't drive it but about twice a week. I did notice that the heat shield from the old direct drive starter was gone. My new hunch is that the exciter wire to the starter has deteriorated to the point that a little movement gets it back in place to activate the solenoid. I'm planning to replace that wire from the doghead relay to the starter next (hopefully with the same color so I don't confuse myself down the road). Fingers crossed.

number9er

I'm with you on that. It's been bugging me that I don't have one on there. If I found a NOS one, would it fit/attach the same way over the GR starter as it would have over the DD starter?

MarcusOReallyus

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks