• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

few Qs recovered M813? or M54? Pics

tucker79

KIMG0130.jpgKIMG0131.jpgKIMG0135.jpgKIMG0132.jpgKIMG0134.jpg
Dragged this truck out of a field, checked all fluids, bleed brakes aired up tires and a good push start with the loader and fired rite up and away we go 2 hr drive home. So much smoother & a little faster than my 818 even with the 11.00s.
Just about got the 818 NHC figured out and now Im hoping you guys can suggest some threads TM references on the multi fuel.
Q1 What is it??? 5 ton multi fuel is all i know dash is stripped of all data plates??
Q2 Lots of in & out play on dual piston air compressor pulley shaft any rebuild threads??
Not getting air assist at air pack
Q3 Seal leaking at power steering box shaft can I replace that seal without tearing all apart?? threads TMs??
Q4 Output seals on trans and TC Can these be replaced without removing trans/TC Threads??
Q5 What is the small square head plug on top right of air compressor (Oil??)
Q6 Is there a wider tire I can put on the front that will match 11.00s on rear
THE GOOD Lots of new parts MC, tie rod, air pack, 12V starter/alternator lots of newer seals Almost no rust, I think whisler turbo sings a sweet song
The BAD Fire department left a pile of spaghetti for me to remove, No lights, injector line leaking a little, syncro shot 3rd gear All in all Im happy with it and this being my 2nd 5 ton I got a lot of little stuff figured out with out bugging you guys with Qs but still a newbie Any help appreciated
THANKS GUYS

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Other than being notoriously underpowered they are as good as an 800 series 5 ton.
I had the tractor version and cussed it all the way back from FL when I used it to retrieve a trailer at Eglin AFB.
If all else fails Memphis Equipment will prob have most of the parts you need to repair the wiring but they are real proud of their stuff.
We also have vendors on here that may have parts but the Multi-fuel 5 tons have been out of the inventory for a long time.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Neat ol' M54 w/w. It is a classic now-a-days. Good picture of one on the cover of June/July issue of Supply Line (MVAP). I'd keep it red.

tucker79

Yup thought u guys would like that Custom fire department turbo set up. So far Im real happy with it seems to have a lot less gear wine than my 818 and I like the few extra rpm. Seems to have more top end power but the cummins has a lot more low end grunt.
The paint is pretty good even though I dont love the red I may keep it until its really do for paint New paint will be OM green and maybe leave some red for red n green camo
Any ideas on what year this truck????
Any good threads on duel piston air compressors???

1crook

View attachment 571860View attachment 571861View attachment 571862View attachment 571863View attachment 571864
Dragged this truck out of a field, checked all fluids, bleed brakes aired up tires and a good push start with the loader and fired rite up and away we go 2 hr drive home. So much smoother & a little faster than my 818 even with the 11.00s.
Just about got the 818 NHC figured out and now Im hoping you guys can suggest some threads TM references on the multi fuel.
Q1 What is it??? 5 ton multi fuel is all i know dash is stripped of all data plates??
Q2 Lots of in & out play on dual piston air compressor pulley shaft any rebuild threads??
Not getting air assist at air pack
Q3 Seal leaking at power steering box shaft can I replace that seal without tearing all apart?? threads TMs??
Q4 Output seals on trans and TC Can these be replaced without removing trans/TC Threads??
Q5 What is the small square head plug on top right of air compressor (Oil??)
Q6 Is there a wider tire I can put on the front that will match 11.00s on rear
THE GOOD Lots of new parts MC, tie rod, air pack, 12V starter/alternator lots of newer seals Almost no rust, I think whisler turbo sings a sweet song
The BAD Fire department left a pile of spaghetti for me to remove, No lights, injector line leaking a little, syncro shot 3rd gear All in all Im happy with it and this being my 2nd 5 ton I got a lot of little stuff figured out with out bugging you guys with Qs but still a newbie Any help appreciated
THANKS GUYS
Hey Tucker,

Congratulations on the truck. Those fire department trucks unfortunately live a hard life, but have served their communities well. We have had a few fire department acquisitions that have required a lot of work.

I happen to have a couple of the NOS single piston air compressors for the multi-fuel that are a direct replacement for the multi-fuel dual piston air compressors. They are $250 each plus shipping. Just send me a PM if you are interested.

Dawn

tucker79

KIMG0136.jpgThank you everyone for your comments The TM suggested is a much better read than the TMs for 818
Iv got a lot of little stuff figured out Lot easier 2nd time around.
Can someone tell me where the air line coming out between the 2 poppet valves on top of trans gos to and if its supposed to always flow air or is this a sign that the poppet valve is shot???

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
View attachment 572021Thank you everyone for your comments The TM suggested is a much better read than the TMs for 818
Iv got a lot of little stuff figured out Lot easier 2nd time around.
Can someone tell me where the air line coming out between the 2 poppet valves on top of trans gos to and if its supposed to always flow air or is this a sign that the poppet valve is shot???
That fitting BETWEEN the two trans. poppet valves IS the exhaust for the sprag which the poppet valves control, NOTHING goes into that fitting. Now I have seen a "U" shaped piece of tubeing facing down installed in the fitting, this is just to keep crap/water from dropping into the fitting

If it ALWAYS has a air flow, then the sprag shifting cylinder has a "O" ring leak, it needs to be pulled and resealed (NEW "O" rings), air SHOULD ONLY be present when the sprag shifts from R to F or F to R

Last edited: