• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

few questions on a Chevy for 4L 3.0 engine

84cucv1ton

working on a tow behind air compressor. The head gasket went bad. got the head gasket done. searched a little bit didn't find it. From what I read supposedly this motor was never used in cars. Was just for industrial use. I need the torque specs for the head gasket and what the rocker arms need to be adjusted to. the crank pulley does not have a timing Mark from what I can see. It's very tight in there. Can't see too good. any help would be great. Just about one o'clock and I'm nowhere near done. Thanks guys

jbayer

What model compressor? What year is it? Is it Military? Did you check the TM'S? Is it gas, or diesel? They did put quite a few 3.0L aka 153 ci engines in Chevy novas in the 60's, and then in boats under the Mercruiser name.
Hard to answer your question with so little info. Especially with black writing on olive drab background.

dependable

If it is a 4 cyl Chevy, as mentioned above, (the 'Iron Duke'), all the torque specs are the same a s Chevy 196, 230, 250 & 292 L6 family. The valves have the same hydraulic lifters as the other motors in this group and same adjustment procedure. Generally they do not need to be adjusted unless motor was taken apart.

Maybe you can post a picture, that would help with engine ID.

jbayer

If it is a 4 cyl Chevy, as mentioned above, (the 'Iron Duke'), all the torque specs are the same a s Chevy 196, 230, 250 & 292 L6 family. The valves have the same hydraulic lifters as the other motors in this group and same adjustment procedure. Generally they do not need to be adjusted unless motor was taken apart.

Maybe you can post a picture, that would help with engine ID.
The "IRON DUKE" is actually a TOTALLY different motor. It's a 2.5L, 150 ci built by Pontiac in the late 70's. It (the 3.0L 153 CI ) is the same as a Chevy 230 as you said, just two less cylinders. I'm not sure of it's relationship to to 250, and 292 though.

Last edited:

rustystud

The "IRON DUKE" is actually a TOTALLY different motor. It's a 2.5L, 150 ci built by Pontiac in the late 70's. It (the 3.0L 153 CI ) is the same as a Chevy 230 as you said, just two less cylinders. I'm not sure of it's relationship to to 250, and 292 though.
I remember when the "Iron Duke" came out. A lot of guys decided to hop it up and see what it could do. It was a great engine.

dependable

Well I guess I was told wrong. I had a 153 Chev 4 in a '69 Kaiser postal jeep that I ended up putting a governor on and putting in a chipper. When I had it a machine shop, the owner and some other guys were oogeling it, and called it that, wanted to buy it for some kind of track car. It is still running strong in the old Morbark, though I sold it to s friend when I got newer machine.

The 196, 230, 250 and 292 are similar except for bore and stroke. Seven main bearings, gear driven cam. I'd probably still be running them but the cars and trucks they were in (from a '66 nova to a '65 C-60) rusted away.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks