• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Few Questions

Pushrod

Hello,
I have a few questions about the M1078 that I've seen pop up more on the auction sites. I will be buying some land soon (hopefully), and my half-ton pickup wont be cutting it and I'm going to need a replacement truck. With these surplus trucks priced as they are, they have got me thinking. So here are my questions:
1. What is the bed height? I've looked all over but haven't found a solid answer. I know its higher than a normal pick up truck but I don't know how high exactly.
2. How hard is it to find the some parts, and about how often does something go wrong on them? (I know its hit and miss, but I figured I'd ask anyway.)
3. Is the there a certain year to avoid/shoot for?
4. Would it be possible to mount a snowplow on the front with it being a cab over?
and lastly
5. Is it a money pit?

I don't mind have to fix wear parts or fixing items on occasion, but I don't want to spend massive amounts of time and money on a "project truck". I've seen the m923's, but I really wouldn't prefer something that big and i'd like a few more creature comforts. Any info is appreciated and if there is something better, just let me know.

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1. 62" You might get tired of loading heavy stuff into it.
2. depends on what parts you need. As more trucks get sold, more parts will hopefully become available.
3. Not that I know of. Be aware there is the original version, and the newer A1 variant. Not many A1's have been sold yet.
4. I have no idea
5. That's a fairly subjective question. I personally have had good luck so far with mine, but I did spend a little more to get a good condition running truck, so I didn't have to troubleshoot any major issues right away.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wouldn't consider sitting on top of the front axle a "creature comfort" , at least it wasn't in any of the cabovers I drove .

SSG Gibb

I am a Mechanic in the Army, I have done two tour to Iraq One as my Battalions head Mechanic. I work on Military Equipment for the Army as a Civilian. With that being said = I am an M35A2 Junky They have been the most faithful to me on convoys from Kwait up past Faluja on dozens of trips. My2cents As for the 1078 the Axles are your best friend for Lots of offroad/torque/ Great traction. The electrical system can be a nightmare "Not often but I've seen a few" hydrolic can be pricy to fix but not very hard. As for the ride and handling they are much better for road trips then the Deuce.

10Lugger

I wouldn't consider sitting on top of the front axle a "creature comfort" , at least it wasn't in any of the cabovers I drove .
That statement shows you have not driven an LMTV. Upon the first bridge bump I drove across, ours handled the large expansion joint like pontoon boat on a 1 foot swale. Kinda like a Lincoln Continental over a speed bump. Far from a hay wagon ride of the old school CO`s

SSG Gibb

My opinion is just that 10Lugger. Do you know what an opinion is? I've turned wrenches on thousands of military vehicles and driven roughly the same number on two continents. What are your qualifications besides mud slinging?

10Lugger

My opinion is just that 10Lugger. Do you know what an opinion is? I've turned wrenches on thousands of military vehicles and driven roughly the same number on two continents. What are your qualifications besides mud slinging?
Hey Gibby, you do how this thread stuff works....Right? You got your panties all in a bunch, and I did not quote you or question anything you said. Men secure in there success do not need to wear there accomplishments on there shoulder.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks