• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Few questions...

rollinwardle

Hi, been outta the loop for awhile... just recently got back stateside and gotta few questions about my '77 M880. I guess just after I left several months ago, the truck stopped driving... had GF take it to shop... holes in tranny fluid line and something about the starter relay. Simple fixes.

Now that I'm home and wanna drive it, it won't start. Appears to be an issue with getting fuel into the lines. My clear fuel filter has no fuel in it. The shop we took it to before said he blew out the tank but said it was going "bad" and would need to be replaced soon. Tried to get my GF to get more info but nothing. I haven't talked to the mechanic... YET.

So my question(s)... what is the likely cause of the fuel problem? I notice that my fuel gauge seems way off, so a new fuel sending unit is probably in order. Fuel pump gone south???

Also, these tanks are plastic... other than getting filled with crap, what would make a plastic tank "bad". And where would I locate a replacement tank???

Ok, last question... I live in NC. If all is said and done... is it LEGAL to mount a tank or fuel cell in the bed of the truck and remove the in-frame tank? I've been wanting to do this for awhile, but not sure of the legal issues. Plus I've seen 32gal fuel cells out there...

Anyway, thanks for any help... heading to alaska for a month in a couple weeks so really hoping to get this taken care of BEFORE i leave so I can drive the truck when I get home.

Rollin

M880 GC

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/m880/40749-fuel-pump.html

I went through several pumps and I consider mine fixed w/o dropping the tank and keeping is mostly stock but added pre and post filter and replaced the degrading steel line with neoprene gas line, no more problems. I believe that my issue was a small amount of debris holding one of the check valves in the pump open and allowing fuel to run back into the tank and always sorta having to re-prime the system.

The link FUEL PUMP above details my .02$ and several other members comments.

Good luck.

N1265

I have never heard of these tanks "going bad " If you have a fuel dilevery problem check for :

clogged screen at end of pickup tube,

pin holes in line ( witch would include metal sending unit) causing the pump to suck air instead of gas,

deteriated rubber lines that collapse ( internally ) under pressure restricting fuel flow,

bad fuel pump

clogged line from pump to filter or carb

I suggest taking a 1 gal can and run a line from it to the inlet side of the pump and crank it a few times checking to see if you are getting gas to the filter. If you are and if If the truck runs with the 1 gal can then the problem is with the fuel lines from the tank to the pump.

if not then problem is with the pump, or line from it to carb.

These trucks are noted for not having accurate gages, brass float usually develops holes and fills with gas causing inaccurate or no reading at all, take a good look at the float before ordering a new sending unit. new floats are cheep sending units are not.

Let us know how you make out, I highly doubt you will need to ditch the tank for a fuel cell...