• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fiberglass Dash?

ParamediCUCV

I need some opinions on an idea I had for a dash cover for my M1009, and I know y'all will speak up! I have completely disassembled my dash pad down to the metal, and was thinking of reapplying foam to it. The question is what to cover the foam with OTHER THAN the commercial dash covers and pads available?

Could I apply bond-o over the foam, then paint it, or perhaps a fiberglass shell? I would prefer a smooth, easy to dust finish, but would consider canvas (but not sure how UV resistant it would be.) No carpet though!!

Has anybody tried such a thing before? What were your results? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

AgeOfDarkness94

A couple of guys I know down here tore apart an old blazer and did something very similar. they turned it into a mud buggy, so everything naturally had to be easy to clean and water resistant. if I remember correctly, they painted down a thick layer of textured bed liner, and covered that with a single layer of glass and resin to make it smooth. looked like the side of a boat to tell you the truth. great finish and it really cut down on road noise. then again, they did this to the entire interior of the cab... I believe the glassing also acted to keep fumes to a minimum. when painted bed liner heats up, it STINKS about like fresh tar/asphalt does. whatever you decide to do, please post pictures on what you did and how you did it.

good luck,
Tyler

FM5332FF

There is a guy on another forum that Im on that makes nice custom Vinyl dash covers. They are made out of automotive grade vinyl and he can do pretty much any color. For the price they are worth it. they are 129.00 Shipped you can get pics and infor from him at Stitch@theStitchInteriors.com

Brett09

You can cheat a bit. Use foam then cover it with a heavy felt (fuzzy side up). Just up the resin over the felt. Sand and paint or wrap with a UV safe vinyl. Its much faster and is more then strong enough for a dash. You can always add fiberglass matting over it if you want it stronger.

bkwudzhom

Like the camo! I have mine out as well while working on the instrument cluster. I was looking to go black with the interior. The camo looks cool though. Ditto on how you did yours PEARC!

wrex

I've been thinking of doing mine in Carbon Fiber. I do work in CF for Suppressors and other gun parts as well as motorcycle parts, so it would be a non-issue and pretty cheap for me to do it. If I do, I'll probably paint it OD though. Still debating. My dash pad isn't "terrible" though it does have a few cracks. It's low on my priorities, right now.

bkwudzhom

Good idea. I would think that the carbon fiber would flex a bit better than the fiberglass would making it easier to install.

wrex

Good idea. I would think that the carbon fiber would flex a bit better than the fiberglass would making it easier to install.

Actually, it doesn't really flex "better" than FG (it can be more rigid than FG, depending on what epoxy/resin you use and how you lay it up), unless you mean that it won't break as easy, then in that case, yes.

ParamediCUCV

Alright guys, I'm gonna try the fiberglass with resin for the first time. Done a little research and it doesn't sound too difficult (famous last words.) As soon as I find the time, I will take pics of the process and keep y'all informed on the progress.

jamesfrom180

Tin foil will make a nice cheep release agent for almost anything. If you want to cap something in fiber glass 1 cover with foil 2 smooth out crinkles 3 verify no holes and lay some glass in. I've capped cut up consoles that way on a few boats.

Been thinking of doing this for my 03 dodge since the FL sun seems to crack the cheep Chrysler plastic.

Last edited:

colelkhunter

I have done this before, but not on a CUCV. Here is the method I used last time and will use again on my modified 1031. Remove the dash and sand everything down that is rough. remove anything that is gonna stick up and look like crap. Get the fiberglass matte that is fine mesh and stretch it as tight as you can over the entire area to be covered. Staple it to the dash where the staples cannot be seen when finished. You may have to use something to fill in holes in the dash before doing this. apply a thin coat of resin and let it setup. Repeat as many times as you like. I usually only do it with one layer. Once cured, you can sand and finish however you like. very easy to do and looks great when done.

I am most likely going to inset a radio mount into mine when I do it.

jamesfrom180

Careful on the material from sewing shops some synthetics will not react well with the resin. Also I like the thick sheet backing for quilting you can get it to make nice curves and sweeps. You will have to lay finish mat (tightly weave) on it to finish it. A friend laid that down for a center console for a Jeep. I've never done it but suspect that if you lay foil over the top or saran wrap on it you could make the textured pattern seen on some OEM parts. Just don't let the resin set under it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks