• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fiberglass hood?

Bigmanbrock07

Boyce equipment wants $688 for a fiberglass 809 series hood...

Yeah, I don't see these being anywhere close to that. I'll get up with him just as soon as I get back off vacation in a couple weeks. Over in the deuce forum they brought up fiberglass hardtops? Do they just unbolt from the tub? I know thats probably going to make a few of you point and laugh, but this being my first MV like this, and it still not sitting in my yard, I can't just go check. :(

Yellowsub1962

I was just going to make a post about M35A3 hoods and came across this thread ( I just realized it's in the 5 ton section), I hope you don't mind me piggybacking on it. If so let me know and I'll start a new post :)

I'm not a vendor here yet, and not selling these yet. I will see about becoming a vendor/advertiser whatever when that time comes. I'm just throwing out some information right now and feeling for opinions.

I have a mold for the M35A3 composite hoods.
I am planning on making Epoxy hoods with stiffeners in them similar to the Mil Spec style support, only out of different material to lessen the costs to the consumer. They should still be strong enough to stand on, and will be tested. They will be lighter than the polyester Boyce type hoods, but do cost a lot more. I just pulled my prototype out of the mold yesterday, so I'm looking for feedback and opinions.

We are looking for a price point that will be worth making them, yet be affordable for the aftermarket and us "non government blank check" guys. I know the .gov pays upwards of $3K+ per hood (including hardware), and we're hoping to come in around $1200-1300 per hood, trimmed and primed, less hardware, plus shipping. The factory hardware holes are indicated in the hood, but not drilled in case someone wants to use different mounts or hinges or something.

Would this be something the members here would be interested in and can benefit from?

These would be over a month out (closer to 2 months for actual delivery) as I'm in the process of moving shop to Colorado. I would probably do some sort of pre-order to get a run of 10 or so hoods done at once and keep your cost down as much as possible.

I'm looking for honest input, but please compare apples to apples. There's over 28 man hours into each hood, plus crating for shipping. Epoxy is typically double the cost of polyester, and we are using a high temp epoxy and temp cycle curing the hoods to 380 degrees, similar to the mil spec hood process. Polyester can't touch that. These are not really comparable to a polyester hood.

I'm open to all thoughts, suggestions, comments, criticisms, etc.

Thank You,
Peter

Owner
PSD Enterprises, LLC
yellowsub1962 AT gmail dot com

Last edited:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think only a very few people would be interested in a $1300 dollar hood. People use the composite hoods because the metal ones mostly look terrible after being widened/lengthened to fit, and they rust. You can get a Govt composite hood for 250-300 if you look around. I just don't think the market is there for an A3 hood that costs that much.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have to agree with hndrsonj. Many of the A3s already have the composite hood and there aren't that many A3s out there either. I would think there would be a much higher need for A2 or 800 series 5-ton hoods. The price is a little high also because there are so many good used hoods and NOS hoods on the market right now. Now after the supply dries up the market will be better.

I think there is a market for hardtops if you can keep the price reasonable.

Yellowsub1962

Hi Guys, I'm finally back and ready to look into this deeper. I won't bore you with details, but the move to CO was a long one, rental property problems, unemployment, and disability lawyer are just some of the key terms :/

Anyway, I was looking around for these hoods and did not find but one for sale a year or so ago, and it was used from a guy in Oregon. He was asking $1100.

Does anyone have any sources for M35A3 composite hoods so I can see what the real market value is?

I can cut some costs, but I won't sacrifice the quality, performance or integrity of the hood just to sell a cheap hood.

Thanks again,
Peter

PS - I'm also available to look into making other parts that are obsolete, or that would be better made from composites to save weight, but still function in a civilian application.

Yellowsub1962

I have to agree with hndrsonj. Many of the A3s already have the composite hood and there aren't that many A3s out there either. I would think there would be a much higher need for A2 or 800 series 5-ton hoods. The price is a little high also because there are so many good used hoods and NOS hoods on the market right now. Now after the supply dries up the market will be better.

I think there is a market for hardtops if you can keep the price reasonable.

I want to look into the A2 and 800 series, is there still a need for these?

On the hardtops, are you talking about A2s or A3 or both?

Thanks,
Peter

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks