• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

fifth wheel attachment

bigdog12

Im wanting to buy a couple of 5tons and was thinking off driving one back and put the front of the other up on the fifthwheel plate.Ive seen this several times with other trucks stacked 3 times so one truck pulls the other 3.Anyone have any ideas on how these are set up?

jbingvtx

I've seen what you are referring to in commercial semi tractors...All that I have seen do not have a front differential. I'm not sure but I was under the impression that they attached to the fifth wheel at the front axle of the towed tractor. I'm not sure how that would work with a 6x6

KsM715

Get a towbar and just tow one with the other. Check the brakes on both trucks, hook up the air lines and pull the axles out of the towed truck.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Whether you flat tow it or piggy back it you will still need to hook up air lines and lights.

Piggy backing will have less rolling resistance and put weight on the rear of the towing vehicle for braking purposes.

If you piggy back you will not have to disconnect the front drive shaft if you pull the rear axles.

You will have to put a temporary cover on the hubs to keep the differential oil from leaking out.

You will need a wrecker or crane on each end to set the rear truck up on the fifth wheel and remove it.

Safety chains are a must even if the kingpin is locked tight when you first set it on.

You may also have to remove the front tires on the rear truck to keep them from contacting the wheels on the tow vehicle.

Just my advice for what it is worth.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks