• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

filling transfer case

jag7720

I had to replace the rear seal on my transfer case. What is the bes way to fill the case?

Does anyone have a method they have used that works better that another?

Only thing I can think of is a long hose on a funnel.

Thanks

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a nice hand pump that goes on the top of a 5-gallon bucket (spout). It works best with a person underneath and one handling the pump. There is a hook shaped aluminum pipe that holds onto the filler opening, so you can get away with one person. I got it a Harbor Freight. I does the job.

I also use a hand-held suction pump. (Also Harbor Freight). It's like a 1 quart capacity syringe. You draw up the oil into it, and push it in one quart at a time. It's little messier, but if you take your time and have some cardboard laid out for drips and spillage, it's o.k.

This method has worked for me on the deuce and Jeep Cherokees. The vehicle was on the ground. No lift. I'm thinking it will work as well on your CUCV.

2cents

AJMBLAZER

I've got a small hand pump I bought at AutoZone years ago. Put the suck hose into the ATF quart, put the out hose into the t-case, and start pumping. Not always easy or clean but it works every time and also is smaller and able to be used by those of us who don't buy our fluids by the 5 gallon pail.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Re: RE: filling transfer case

AJMBLAZER said:
I've got a small hand pump I bought at AutoZone years ago. Put the suck hose into the ATF quart, put the out hose into the t-case, and start pumping. Not always easy or clean but it works every time and also is smaller and able to be used by those of us who don't buy our fluids by the 5 gallon pail.
Ditto, but with the "fleet" I have now, I'm looking at larger sizes......

jag7720

One word.... PEX

I had a piece of 1/2 pex left over from plumbing my house .cut a small slit in the funnel and it fits over the end of the pex nicely.

There is space between the body and frame where the pex will fit through and then straight over to the transfer case. Bend it a little so it pours down into the transfer case/ Zip tied the funnel end to the door handle and pour.

Not the fastest method in 35 degree weather but it got the job done and not a single drop spilled out. The manual says it takes 5 quarts... and it is spot on. I got the 5th quart in and pulled the pex out and there was a small drop froming on the lip of the case... Perfect.

Side question... where can I get the transfer case end of the drive shaft? Mine seems to be slightly worn where the seal rides and so it is not sealing as well as it should. Can I get a new one somewhere?

Thanks

Attachments

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Re: RE: filling transfer case

CCATLETT1984 said:
those bug sprayers also work great as power brake bleeders, there is a thread on how to make one.
Got a link?, I'd was looking at the power bleed setup in the TM for the Deuce

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks