• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Filtering WMO Repeatedly

Catskinner

OK= I've read most of the stuff here and have started my own filtering ventures.
Ordered 10 and 1 micron socks from Complete Filtration- while waitng for these to come in I cut the leg out of a pair of Wranglers and have filtered about 10 gal of Rotella 15/40. I mixed in 5 gal of diesel to thin it . Put this mix into a tank with hand pump which puts it thru a water trap filter from Tractor Supply. I "think" this is usable now- Any thoughts or comments?
After reading about the centrifuges- I am thinking of the OC20 model from Fryer to Fuel $153.00- Needs oil pumped into it at 60-100 psi. The kits I've seen with the 1/3 hp motor and pump are $800. or so- My idea here is to rig a 20 gal compressor tank with fill port and pressurize with shop air to deliver my mix to the centrifuge. I'm asking for comments here as this seems like a simple and cheap way to feed the fuge- but maybe I'm missing something here. Thanks

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Pressurizing ANYTHING not rated for pressure is asking for trouble. Make sure everything you use is pressure rated!

gozapper

Get a chevy sbc pump or a power steering pump. Also a pressure regulator from Lowes.

If you air, you could be putting moisture into your oil.

I do use vacuum and air to move my oil. But I drain the compressor tank often.

Good luck,

Tom

scoutmanadam

second watching the pressurizing of things. even as little as 10 psi to an un approved sealed container can turn a tank to a grenade. so check all your hoses, tanks, everything that will have the slightest bit of pressure. also, run a air dryer in your airline if you plan on long runs at a time, helps keep stuff dry

weisskr

The "Big" question is what are you going to feed this fuel into? Most older engines that are direct injection only require about three things. One removing the moisture and if you are looking at getting a centrfuge then it will remove most if not all depending on what the content of the moisture is from the begining. Second, getting it down to about a ten micron which is what most vehicles that are of direct injection need and that should be pretty simple. Third, getting the viscosity right enough that your lift pump in or near your tank will move it and your high pressure pump can deliver it to your injectors.
I have used just about all types of oil you can think of including gear oil to burn in my super duty with a 7.3 in it. My only problem over the years has been the OEM pump that is looking for a certain viscosity of the oil to lift it out of the tank and push it up to the filter on the engine. I fixed that problem by installing the Air Dog Raptor which is a gearator pump. So far with the gearator I can move just about anything that is close to looking like diesel fuel.
I plan to install a Raptor pump on my MEP005 diesel gen set next.

Kevin

Catskinner

3rd time to try to reply- Mostly deuce fuel but would add some into Cat 3406, 3306, Cummins, etc in trucks and dozers for lubrication if nothing else. I understand about the dangers of air pressure and the need for dry air. How much do these pumps cost? Thanks- Frank

weisskr

If you are referring to the Raptor pump I have about 400 bucks invested in the pump. It supplies the OEM pump with about 20 PSI at a 1/2 inch line which ends up being 60 from the OEM plus 20 from the Raptor so I end up with about 80 PSI. The result is the OEM pump does not work as hard moving heavy oil if I didnt get the viscosity right enough.
It sounds as though you are wanting to filter oil to reuse rather than create a type of diesel fuel?
Kevin

diverman555

In Memorial
In Memorial
One of the main problems I have found is cold temps.
After you get the fuel it will work fine. There is a a list online of what % of premixed fuel you can use with store bought fuel mixxed together depending on the oat side air temp. When it starts to get cold your fuel/mix will start to gel and won't pump through the lines. You can also go online and buy complete kits, making it really easy and cheap to make fuel. Last I checked it was about .63 cents a gallon. Kits depend on how much you want to make and how much you want to be involved. The more you are willing to do the cheaper it is. But we makes more mistakes than the equipment. I was looking for one that would make about 1000 gallons a day,
I was running 5- 2005 diesel trucks. Then you get into the whole idea of running heaters in your fuel tanks. another discussion point.
Mark

diverman555

In Memorial
In Memorial
making fuel really easy

One of the main problems I have found is cold temps.
After you get the fuel it will work fine. There is a a list online of what % of premixed fuel you can use with store bought fuel mixxed together depending on the oat side air temp. When it starts to get cold your fuel/mix will start to gel and won't pump through the lines. You can also go online and buy complete kits, making it really easy and cheap to make fuel. Last I checked it was about .63 cents a gallon. Kits depend on how much you want to make and how much you want to be involved. The more you are willing to do the cheaper it is. But we makes more mistakes than the equipment. I was looking for one that would make about 1000 gallons a day,
I was running 5- 2005 diesel trucks. Then you get into the whole idea of running heaters in your fuel tanks. another discussion point.
Mark

diverman555

In Memorial
In Memorial
Here is one of the equipment manufactures web address Biodiesel Kits - Biodiesel Processors - Making Biodiesel and if you google making bio diesel you will come up with a huge amount of sites. I can't stress enough how important it is to read the instructions. That is where it discusses temps and so on.. Not much worse than getting half way accross the country and your entire tank of fuel turn to gel!!!!!
Mark

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks