• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Final Headcount, SoCal Fall Trip

offroadrunner

OK, it's kinda last-minute, but since it's only a couple hour's drive for me and I told several friends at work how much fun I had at this event that we decided we'd try to get one more trip in before the weather gets too bad (hopefully). So about 5-7 of us are going to head out to the same campsite (I think I can find it again) the weekend after next (21-22 Nov - the weekend before Thanksgiving).
Now - my deuce still isn't ready, so I'll just be going out in my old Power Wagon again. This, coupled with the fact that my co-workers have only got various sorts of RVs, means it's not really any sort of MV/off-roading event as it is just clean-up tools (we got some Tannerite to clean up too), model-rockets, and R/C cars kinda weekend. Anybody here interested?

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The following week is an annual week long family trip, I won't be able to go due to getting ready for that trip.

offroadrunner

Barneyszoo - Well it all started when I drove the deuce home (72 miles) from the seller's place. He had switched it to DOT-3 brake fluid, (but I don't think much other maintenance since he only put 300 miles on the truck in the 10 years he had it) - it was leaking brake fluid big-time from at least 3 wheel cyls by the time I got it into my driveway. I'm in-process of converting back to BFS, so that leads to replacing all the rubber parts and any rusted steel lines, and while you're there you might as well do axle seals and front boots, and there's not gonna be a better time to single-out the tires - which means flipping the hubs - you get the idea. Then I still have the fun of getting an inspection by the CHP, as a prerequisite to getting a title from the DMV (seller only had SF97), then finding insurance, getting a little time behind the wheel (haven't driven it since I got it home) so I can take my CDL-class B driving test. So far, I've gotten the back two axles done, and (as of last weekend) I'm part-way through the front and some of the brake-lines. Long-story (coulda been made) short - I hope to get done before the spring trip.

Will - I understand; the family trips take preparation time (physical for packing, and mental for sanity maintenance). Good luck.

Hole - Sorry you can't make it AND why - hope things turn up for you soon. As to your other statement - with us it's more like: having fun INSTEAD of being safe, (c'mon - did I mention there's Tannerite?) but thanks for the thought.

Hundy - No worries - the whole trip could turn out to be a "maybe" if the weather turns bad. I might wimp out if it looks like there are gonna be high winds, 'cause "cleaning" the 12" gong at a hundred-plus yards in those conditions is a little too "challenging" for my tastes any more; and I think hitting the Tannerite would probably be impossible (for me at least). If the weather holds like today though, we should be there.

Cheers,

998Junkie

OK, it's kinda last-minute, but since it's only a couple hour's drive for me and I told several friends at work how much fun I had at this event that we decided we'd try to get one more trip in before the weather gets too bad (hopefully). So about 5-7 of us are going to head out to the same campsite (I think I can find it again) the weekend after next (21-22 Nov - the weekend before Thanksgiving).
Too soon for me, I'm on vacation the preceding week and will be out of town and my m818 seems to have some issues, I'm trying to trouble shoot and get sorted out.

Sorry, I had a great time and I'm sure I would again.

BLK HMMWV

Dirt bag Crew

When's the Spring event ?
I just upgraded my head lights (Screw those POS LED's) and what to try it out.
We can probably start the fire with this baby.
We can clean day and night or is that turn the night into day.

That little John Deer doesn't stand a chance

BH

groundog

:wink:998Junkie---what is going on with your tractor---drove mine from Phx to Barstow and back---runs better now pulled a trailer home---groundog

998Junkie

:wink:998Junkie---what is going on with your tractor---drove mine from Phx to Barstow and back---runs better now pulled a trailer home---groundog
Nice to hear from you. I don't think I have major issues:)-)), after the trip I discovered a few issues.

The right front axle boot has a tear in it. I think I might have oil in my coolant fluid, I'm going to drain it (I replaced the coolant before the trip and it had a few table spoons of oil) next week along with an oil and lube this month. I did a quick repair on the boot seal, but I'll be looking for a new one soon.

Other than that I've enjoyed the truck, finally got the plates and made a licence bracket based on the one I saw on Hole's truck.:wink:

I have some seats on the way and a VIC-1 intercom to install as well. I'm looking forward to getting everything done in time for spring.

groundog

:wink:998--sounds great---all these trucks need a little work--picking up a 127A2 trailer wednesday---GSA auction right here in town--couldnt believe it--only 59 miles away---beats driving to Barstow again---Groundog--hope to see you at the brothers--should be there Dec 12th

groundog

:wink:we have decided to go some time in January--orig plans were middle of Dec but too much to do before Christmas----lets try to plan for middle of Jan---

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks