• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finally - a bar in the deuce cab!

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is summer, it is hot, we all like a cold beverage. If this is why you opened this thread, sorry! Get a cooler.

My adorable wife complained that getting in and out of the cab on the passenger side is not easy and she would like something to hold on to when the going gets a little rougher. I dismissed that, until I busted my heel and tried to get in on the passenger side. It is true - no steering wheel to grab and nothing to hold on to.

Thanks to m1010plowboy who donated a cab handle from an XM211/M135, I went to work. First, clean, sand and paint the handle bar.

The old deuces had a horizontal handle on the passenger side mounted to the dash. I wanted to do something similar.

First, the service data plate needs to be moved inwards by an inch or so. Very simple - remove self-tapping screws, mark and drill new holes, re-attach plate.

Ottawa-20130806-00204.jpg

Then mark and drill the holes for the handle bar.

Getting the lock nuts threaded onto the bolts from behind the dash is a bit @#^!%$ for a fellow with big hands, but do-able. I used some electrical tape to allow a ratcheting wrench to securely hold the nut. I used star washers under the bolt heads (as per the impressions that were on the handle before cleaning and repainting).

Ottawa-20130806-00205.jpg

Accessing the nut on the left (inner) side in the space above the instrument panel required locking pliers to hold a 1/2 inch socket with the nut inserted; with this contraption I barely made it into the recessed, tight space at the very top of the dash.

Here is the handle mounted:

Ottawa-20130806-00207.jpg

This is what the passenger side door opening looks like. Something solid for the passenger to grab on to.

Ottawa-20130806-00209.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

steelandcanvas

Could better access been accomplished by removing the glove box? Nice job! You are correct about nothing to hang on to when entering from the shotgun side, one of the BossLady's biggest complaints.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, I actually had the glove box screws out, but getting the box wrench up proved to be easy enough so I did not pull the glove box. It would give you more space, though. The other bolt was a bit of a challenge.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
When I was in the Army we called those "Jesus bars" because if you had a young 2nd Lt. in there with you going over rough terrain he would be clutching it for dear life and screaming "Jesus....slow this thing down".

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like that a lot! I'm sure my new bride would definitely appreciate one of those. Now I'll have to survey my truck and likely post a want ad in the classifieds for that exact same cab handle! ;)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are a few other paths you can go as well. We all know what the handle on the back corner of the cab looks like. In the past I have seen these in various spots on the passenger door. I've also seen them mounted vertically at the end of the dash. Even easier to obtain and install are the handles all over the deuce frame. I used them on lots more than MVs.

steelypip

We had an FJ-40V Toyota Land Cruiser years ago, and took it all kinds of places that required grab bars in search of firewood. One of the early mods to it was a grab bar that stuck out far enough that the glove box door would open through it, both because everybody hated climbing in and out of the passenger side of the truck and also because you got bounced around like dice in a cup sometimes.

Man-A-Fre sold the bar back then. It was a plain welded steel bar that wouldn't look out of place on a deuce if painted to match. If it's still made, it might be just the ticket. Also consider the many grab bars made for civilian jeeps for the same use.

Last edited:
what length of handle ?

Great idea! My truck is in ND so I can't walk outside to measure, what is a descent length to look for in a handle. I'm home for a few days, so I run around town grabbing things I might need for my truck in ND and throw em in my suitcase to take back and install. I was thinking of something like what the bathroom handles for the handicapped or elderly use at the hardware stores. They come in 18", 24" and 36" lengths, what's a good size if I went this route?
034584485342lg.jpg

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
My better half got tired of climbing in and out of the passenger side of my deuce too. So I just bought her one for herself:driver:.

dilligaf13

They're also called "Oh $hit bars", because you in veritably say "Oh $hit" right before you grab ahold of it when you hit that first big unexpected bump...

TsgtB

Yeah, that is what the holes on either side of the glove box are there for.
I'll have to go out and measure, the CJ bar is supposed to be 19" long.
Not sure of the distance between the holes in the dash.
I guess I could put the uppers to the rifle mounts, any idea how much they cost and are they hard to find?
(I admit I have not searched for them yet)

TsgtB

They're also called "Oh $hit bars", because you in veritably say "Oh $hit" right before you grab ahold of it when you hit that first big unexpected bump...
Yes, I have seen people try and pull the entire dash off, and hold so tight that i'd swear they would almost crush the thing.....