• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finally! Boss says I can have one...

Smokinyoda

Finally convinced the boss (spelt - w i f e ) of our need for and inability to live without... a deuce.:mrgreen:

I will be posting a want ad in classifieds soon but know alot of you guys don't check there but may know where a stray lives looking for a new home ( if you do send me a PM).

I am hoping to find a depot rebuilt M35A2 W/W with a hard top, and cab heater reasonably priced within driving distance of West TN (Ripley TN to be exact).

My question is this: I have heard that all depot rebuilds have D turbos, is this true? (I really want a whistler.) I have also heard of rebuilds with dual circuit brakes. How rare are these?

Hope to post pics of my new toy as soon as I find her. :driver:

Blood_of_Tyrants

There are about 4-6 D turbos to every C turbo so they aren't uncommon. I haven't seen one with dual circuit brakes. The A3's have them, I think.

P.S. If you just gotta have a C turbo, used ones can be bought fairly cheap and they bolt right on.

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
re: depot rebuilds all being D turbos: Never heard that, strongly believe it to be inaccurate.

re: dual circuit brakes-see attachment below. Reasonably uncommon. Do a search for dual circuit and wealth of info will come up.

Attachments

wsucougarx

Depot rebuild A2's were done between 88-92 or something like that. Around '92 or something like that the whole A2--->A3 program was getting kicked off. More than likely you will NOT find an A2 depot rebuild deuce w/split brakes because those particular A2's were pretty much new. The A2's with the split brake circuit were found in the '87-'88 M series trucks (M35A2C's, M185A3's, M109A3's etc).

Smokinyoda

Not having any luck finding a local truck. I have lowered my expectations to a low mileage with a winch in good condition. Closest I can find with a winch at a decent price is 300 miles away. Besides the basic tools, jack, and extra batteries (from my m1009) any thing else I should bring if I choose to retrieve it this weekend?

jollyroger

Get out and pee every 100-200 miles as your bladder allows. Take some time to get the blood back into your legs from standing on the throttle pedal.:D

Actually you have that problem more in the 5 ton. But your legs can cramp up. Just move them around or switch feet for a few miles if you have to.

The deuce has more potential for RPM above redline so watch your RPM's.

Make a glad hand air hose so you can inflate tires and run some rudimentary air tools if needed. It runs off the "emergency" air line which should be on the passenger side rear of the truck. It has a ball valve handle behind the bracket for the truck gladhand that you have to turn on and off.

5 gallon can of diesel. Already filled. The fuel guage could be inaccurate.

DOT 5 brake fluid. AKA BFS for Brake Fluid, Silicone. Make sure to check the brake fluid BEFORE you drive the truck. The master cyl is located under the drivers side floor. There is a flip over pannel. Flip it over and the master is directly under. It takes a 3/8's open end wrench and a crecent to take the top off the master cyl. You have to undo the vent line before you can remove the top with the crecent.

Bring a friend and a chase truck with a tow strap in case you break down in a bad spot and need to be moved quickly.

Road flares and or three reflective triangles in case of a total breakdown.

Fire extinguisher. Or two.

Antifreeze.

15W40 turbo diesel motor oil. I prefer Shell Rotella T but Delo is good too. About a gallon should get you home unless it is way low.

Grease gun. Hit the zerks on the driveline and steering unless the truck has been well maintained or serviced recently.

About 20 feet of rope and some bungee cords.

Electrical tape. Duct tape. Soft mechanics wire or bailing wire. Zip ties.

Camera. Please take pics of the recovery and recount the story for us here.

:beer:

mckeeranger

In addition to the other stuff listed here, I recommend taking a good attitude.

You know going into it the truck is going to be loud, rough, and hot. 200 miles into the trip, when you're still 100 miles from home, these things should not bother you. It's all part of the game.

If you have some problems on the road, just be ready to deal with them and don't let them get you down.

Again, a good attitude is key. It's OK that the truck may disappoint you sometimes, but never let it tick you off. Take good care of it, and it will take good care of you. :driver:

Smokinyoda

The search for my first deuce continues...

Thanks for all the advice but I decided to pass on the 300 mile recovery. It has no turbo or air shift T/C, and is just a base M35 and have read enines in those were not as reliable as the a2 models.
But if anyone is looking for a clean, low milage, rust free winch truck this is a good one. Only 10k miles and 400 hours. Here is the link., had him down to $3600 on price.​

Last edited:

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The search for my first deuce continues...

Thanks for all the advice but I decided to pass on the 300 mile recovery. It has no turbo or air shift T/C, and is just a base M35 and have read enines in those were not as reliable as the a2 models.
But if anyone is looking for a clean, low milage, rust free winch truck this is a good one. Only 10k miles and 400 hours. Here is the link., had him down to $3600 on price.​

I am very certain that I see an air shift lever underneath the dash, right of the heater controls.

There is a bunch of non-turbo multifuel owners on this site and they do have good things to say about their rigs (noticeably lower noise level in cab being one).