• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finally bought a MEP-831a

AfghanVeteran2010

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm pretty sure uncle sam is getting rid of the cursed things. The new mep-10xx series are supposedly don't wet stack, so 5kw and up I'm guessing. Power needs have risen since the introduction of the mep-831a, every troop wants their computers and phones. The biggest down fall of this unit is the Governor Control Module. Knock On Wood, that GCM is not going to be available once the Government cycles them out of service. I cant see Governors America Corp make them after that.
Once I get this unit working like it should, I'm going to find a replacement solution or flat out get rid of variable speed.

Guyfang

Staff member
The reason you see so many -831A's is because they are by far, the biggest number of gen sets in the military. The 3KW was always the workhorse of the Army. Yeah, we had the 1.5 KW, and later the 2 KW, but far and away, the 3 KW was our workhorse. Think about an infantry unit. Large gen sets just don't make it. Only the HQ has anything larger than maybe a 5-10 KW. Units with large power eating systems, have the big puppies. But even they have at least as many 3-5 KW's as they have 15-60 KW gen sets. I supported an Airborne Artillery unit, 4/319 AFAR, Airborne Field Artillery Regiment. They had maybe six, 5-10 KW's, and a crap load of 3 KW's. That's all there was for the unit.
The new ROPEW's all have a 3 KW gen set. And on and on. Most units do not have trailer mounted gen set. Most units have the gen sets tossed into the back of cargo trucks and that's all there is. I to was amazed when looking at GOV Planet, at just how many 3 KW's there were. I have to admit, I never saw a 3KW I liked.

Dewie38

There were almost 30 thousand MEP831's produced by Fermont, they are now being produced by Fidelity corp.
Small sets are never going to go away, they are the work horse of the military and they beat the snot out of them.
You can run the 3kW without variable speed, just remember the engine has a 3-5 % built in droop.

AfghanVeteran2010

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There were almost 30 thousand MEP831's produced by Fermont, they are now being produced by Fidelity corp.
Small sets are never going to go away, they are the work horse of the military and they beat the snot out of them.
You can run the 3kW without variable speed, just remember the engine has a 3-5 % built in droop.

Plan to run it similar to a mep-016d, plan to just feed to actuator the power the SLC100 receives. Might install a pwm source if needed to supply power. It should keep the fault shutdown system intact and functional.

Edit: Can you explain what a 3-5 % built in droop means.

Last edited:

AfghanVeteran2010

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good news I put it all back together and fired it up, it does slightly smoke whitish. Probably injection timing i did add shims to it, TM says to remove shims if white smoke is present. Ran the unit for one hour at 3000 watt restive load, no other issues were observed. I ran it for only an hour to see if smoke went away, next step is to remove shims and see it that helps.

AfghanVeteran2010

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ran the set for 3 hours today at 2500 watts, I did change to valve lashing to the higher side of spec. White smoke has disappeared now after that. So far I have ran it 5 hours on current oil, 1 hour after the other head stopped working properly, 1 hour the other day and 3 today. Might go another 5 hrs on current oil, and then change oil and filter. Once that has happens or before I'm going to see if I can get the the governor controller to play nice.

mk2000

Read all 31 pages. Any update on your MEP-831a? Was the odd noise due to low oil? Did you get the governor to finally play nice?

AfghanVeteran2010

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry for taking awhile to respond. I haven't been able to work on unit since it started to make that noise. Been on and off sick since December. I should be able to work on it in April.

AfghanVeteran2010

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Installed Kloppk's controller that he made to replace the SLC100. The controller is well worth the money bought two of them. Runs happy now, beside that noise I need to hunt down. I'm fairly sure it's the mufflers back plate came loose again doesn't make that noise till the set is warm. Kinda hard to be sure with out digging into it. Might run it outside of enclosure to see if noise is still there.
20180410_104013.jpg

AfghanVeteran2010

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Figured out what was making that noise, the rotor was rubbing on the stator, tried to insert a .010 gauge no good one that side. other side has a really big gap. I noticed that when I first tore apart the set. I removed and reinstalled the rotor and now the .010 gauge can fit.

From TM

Using a feeler gauge check that clearance between rotor assembly (11) and stator (14) is 0.010 inch(minimum) at all points. If clearance is less than 0.010 inch, remove rotor assembly (11) and reinstall.

Now it runs with out that noise, Hopeful it stays away this time.

NATCAD

Installed Kloppk's controller
Hope you will enjoy it, I am happy with the ones I received, no more dinking with the GAC one (I did order a GAC replacement unit when I first started and it is still going well)

Any thoughts about adding an external silencing muffler to quiet the set down further? (while keeping the 2169b std intact?)

I was thinking of adding a small horizontal muffler out the back of the 'muffler access plate' on a 90 turn to really quiet the set down.

AfghanVeteran2010

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did think about it before, decided to wait until the unit runs like it should. It would need a flexible pipe after the 90 degree turn to isolate vibrations from the engine. One of those mesh ones probably, as for the muffler its self I have no idea what on to get. Never have done anything like this with exhaust pipes. It would be awesome to make it very quite.

Dewie38

Changing the existing muffler or adding another muffler after the existing one will change engine back pressure and affect engine performance.

AfghanVeteran2010

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What about a exhaust flapper? Cant live in west Texas and not have one, I think its a rule here.

I'm just joking, thanks for the info Dewie.

Also changed the oil at 10hr mark of breaking in sine honing the engine. About 10hrs more to go then back to the regular scheduled LO.

AfghanVeteran2010

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Generator came in handy today lost power for little over an hour today, from a wind storm. Was able to power all the TVs and satellite and a few other things. Going to be looking into a transfer switch some time soon, been looking at a "Generac 6852 Home Link Upgradeable Transfer Switch Kit 30 Amp".

I have a question about a idea I have about running two 831a to this panel. I want run both in 120 volt mode and have the neutrals bonded between both sets, to have a common neutral. As well as the ground bonded and connected to a ground rod, transfer switch. One set will power L1 the other to power L2 in transfer switch. There is no 240 volt needed only 120 volt. I have a diagram of what I'm talking about. The most important thing I want to know is this safe? Biggest question you might have for me is why don't I use a bigger unit, I don't have the room or equipment to move them.

gen.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks