• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finally getting a MEP-002a

Isaac-1

Well after several years of buying generators and other stuff of GL I finally won a MEP-002a today along with a couple of 3KW MEP-0016D Yanmar, now for the fun of having to wait for the paperwork, make pick up appointments, etc. (2 are about 10 miles away, the other one is about 50 miles away). Just had to share after years of bidding, one finally did not go sky high (the price spread on all 3 were between $350-$450, with the MEP-002a in the middle).

Ike

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ike,

Welcome to the club finally. I know you have several sets, and have been very helpful in the MEP area when members have issues. Now you can put that knowledge to use and get that baby running like a top!!!!

storeman

Congrats Ike! I bid on one in VA (secret from wifey because she has lost patience), but it went too high.

I did win 2 rebuilt, condition A1 002a motors last week but haven't picked them up yet. Lots of great possibilities with these. Will have to sneak them home along with the A1 and A4 Hardigg shipping containers this week.

hehehe :beer::beer::beer:

storeman

Ike,
BTW: dragged 2 of my 002a's to my flea market last weekend and sold one for the $1,600 asking price and the other is being voted on by the Lions Club this week to power their food trailer.

Yahoo! Wifey happy! She thought they were permanent decorations.

Jerry :grd:

Isaac-1

I know that feeling, I am getting the why did you buy 3 more generators from my wife already (it probably does not help that there is still the air filter and blower cover riding around in the back of my truck from the 6KW Onan DJE I bought a few weeks ago (civilian version of the same engine that is in MEP-002a)

Ike

Isaac-1

Looking over the soon to be mine MEP-002a photos on GL, it appears to not be a typical plane MEP-002a, as it has a Solargizer solar panel mounted to the engine , and an unusual CARC color scheme, it looks like the typical green and black CARC, except for some large splashes of tan , this is not the more common mix and match green/tan combined parts.

Here see for yourself

Attachments

ETN550

Looking over the soon to be mine MEP-002a photos on GL, it appears to not be a typical plane MEP-002a, as it has a Solargizer solar panel mounted to the engine , and an unusual CARC color scheme, it looks like the typical green and black CARC, except for some large splashes of tan , this is not the more common mix and match green/tan combined parts.

Here see for yourself
Good deal! I have almost bid on those myself. Just a matter of time! Lots of engines coming up too. 002a and 003a.

Isaac-1

Well, IT HAS BEEN AN ORDEAL, but I have my generators. I had a pickup appointment scheduled to pick up one of the 3KW Yanmar MEP-016D's in Pineville, LA yesterday morning, and the other MEP-016D at Ft. Polk along with the MEP-002a. Well the night before the pickup I spot a nail in the rear drivers side tire of my F250, so I get up the next morning with the intention of being at the tire shop when they open, note I said intention, as yesterday morning I went out to start my truck, and it would not start, the short version is the starter went out, I had it towed to the shop and a new starter installed then rescheduled my pickup appointments for today. I drive 75 miles to Pineville this morning (driving by Ft. Polk on the way), get there and find out the generator is not there, after a bit of searching, phone calls, etc. it turns out all the 3KW Yanmars from Pineville had been transferred to Ft. Polk,, back towards Ft. Polk I go after about 150 miles of wasted driving. The pickup went fairly smoothly, it only involved the use of 3 different forklifts, and a handfull of loading attempts I was able to squeeze 2 MEP-016D's along with a MEP-002a into the bed of my shortbed F250 Superduty truck even though there is also a tool box back there, only problem is the tailgate will not close (the pair of MEP-016D's sitting side by side at the back hang over about 2 inches), if I just had a narrower tool box everything would have fit and the tailgate would have closed.

All of the generators looks good on first glance, one of the MEP-016D's is going to a fellow forum member when he returns to the states in a month or so. Fuel tanks all need a good flushing and there may be a few minor issues (missing the battery jumper on the MEP-002a, battery meter may be bad on it too, that sort of thing.) They are still in the back of my truck so no detailed inspection yet.

Ike

p.s. not sure what to make of this, the MEP-002a appears to have a brand new fuel tank and strainer basket, no rust, shiny metal inside no sign of fuel residue in the bottom, tank straps are not tight, hour meter shows about 2200 hours.

Last edited:

PA GasPasser

I looked over a dozen at Letterkenny and one (only one) had a new fuel tank that couldn't have seen fuel. It had the solargizer too. The rest was trash. Fuel lines were missing, the filter canisters were loose--no biggie--but I'd hate to have them come off on the trailer ride home. I didnt even put that one on my bid list. Most were in better shape. I'm glad I had the opportunity to preview them.

Isaac-1

IT LIVES (sort of)

Today I hooked up a fresh pair of batteries and filled the MEP-002 with oil and fuel. All the filters appeared new, so I decided to fire it up (strainer is missing from the water separator, but since it has what looks like a brand new fuel tank on it with a stainer insert I decided to chance it).

Long story short, it fired up on the first try, blew a LOT OF Red dust like sand out of the exhaust (covered my new batteries in about 1/4 inch of dust), ran smooth, no smoke, and at first I thought everything was going to be great. Then the little issues started showing up:

2 of the fuel pumps are leaking on the bottoms (guess they need new gaskets), anyone know the size? Also the mesh filters in them have been replaced with a white styrofoam looking ceramic tube, anyone see these, they look to be butchered and cut to fit?

Voltage was stable for a few minutes, then went up to 154VAC (connected in 120V only 1 phase mode), I guess something is wrong with the voltage regulator, anyone have a suggestion on where to start looking?

thanks Ike

p.s. anyone have a source for the strainers for the fuel pumps? I have 2 already, one by itself and one in my spare pump for my MEP-701a

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can't help you out with the fuel pump parts, but the voltage is pretty easy

If it has gone high and you can't anjust it with the ajdustment knob on the panel, more than likely the Voltage regulator has an issue. Typically this situation is caused by the output transistor. A relatively easy fix, and the transistor is readily available. The manufacturer part number is in the -24P TM

Isaac-1

Thanks, I have found the part number for the strainer and gasket kits in the MEP-002a wiki, will try changing the output transistor tomorrow, I have one since it is the same part number as the voltage regulator on the MEP-016's use.

Ike

Isaac-1

Well still working on the MEP-002a had to order a new transistor, the one I had was the wrong size after all. On a side note the generator came with a drum bung adapter fitting, but is missing the hose and the pipe sections. Does anyone have a photo of the complete kit, know the fitting sizes, lengths, etc. On a bit of good news, the fuel filter I ordered Thursday for the MEP-016d arrived today, will probably try to install it tomorrow or the next day and see if I can get it started.

thanks Ike

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ike,

The pipe sections are just standard 1/8" black iron pipe, I can get you the measurements tomorrow when I am at home. The pipe just threads up into the center of the bung adapter. The hose the military uses is a fiberglass braided hydraulic hose with AN5 or 5/16 JIC fittings on the ends. I grabbed some 1/4 stainless steel hoses from work with the proper JIC fittings on the ends for mine. The bung adapter should have a 1/8" NPT to 5/16" JIC fitting on it that the hose connects to. If not, that's the other fitting you'll need.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks