• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finally getting some use out of the deuce!

YkDave

Between work and all that other fun stuff, we have finally managed to get out with the trucks a couple times to enjoy a little bit of ice fishing!

Their is a shack built on my truck which is great for sleeping in, or hanging out if the weather is really crappy, its not much but it serves the purpose. Its got a propane heater and is insulated with R5 styrofoam, its got no problem keeping heat at -40c even if their is a wind.

The ice fishing shack is something we just whipped together for last weekend. Built it based on our old drill shacks (was diamond drilling for a while), nothing special, just 4x8 panels that break down for easy transport, no tools required (except maybe a little wobbly pop during assembly!). Sure is nice having a solid wind block when your sitting on the ice @ -40c. Same situation for heat in there, just a little propane heater, and it keeps it warm enough that you can fish in a t-shirt and socks when its -40c outside LOL

Still havent had the time to do an engine conversion yet, though i may have just sweetened the pot on that one as now i have a 325hp commonrail 5.9 cummins (w/nv5600 trans, though i would prefer auto in this beast) that would make a good donor engine, but i would derate it to try and save that poor ol driveline

For what it was worth, i just picked up a gasket set for the ol 302 as it had a F'd head gasket, lapped the valves, threw in a couple pushrods that were straight and the old klunker runs alright. Until we start using the trucks more often, im in no hurry to do the engine swap, but when we start racking up the miles, the sub 2mpg starts adding incentive!

hwcurtice

Way more brave than I. What's the ice thickness there? I think having two 5+ton (Empty weight) rigs so close to each other on ice of fairly good thickness isn't an issue?

Someone can correct me on the actual weight of the 211 and the van truck.

YkDave

They are both M135s ;)

Ice isnt an issue, have you seen the first season of ice road truckers? thats us up here LOL

I would estimate our total curb weights around 12ton as we sit there on the ice (trucks, shacks, gear, ect), which is nothing compared to the average 40ton loads that go across the same thickness of ice!

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nothing unusual here, just a couple of Ski-Deuce out on a lake.

Good to see them up and being used Dave.

Anytime you get a chance to show us pictures
from the Great White North it's always a pleasure.

YkDave

Yup, not uncomon to see old deuces or Mog's out on the lake around here!

Heres a few more shots, this was from 2 weekends ago, just threw a few 2x4's between the trucks and slung some tarps for a shelter to fish in...

YkDave

The fuel economy isnt much to brag about, so far ive averaged 3.5mpg on these 2 trips, which i guess isnt bad considering the highway is a roller coaster (literally, its nothing but hills and curves), the only flat runs are the lakes!

Fortunately we dont have a whole lot of snowpack, which is nice because we can punch through the grader banks and head down the lake wherever we want to go with ease. Of course, the locker ive got in the rear, as well as chains helps alot. But its quite amazing how well a 5ton+ truck floats in the snow with such scrawny tires, well, as long as the tranny doesnt do one of its super duper downshifts at the most inopportune time and cause it to spin to the ice LOL

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Awesome pics. I suppose you probable have 30" of ice or more?

You are probably looking at 12,500 and close to 15,000#

YkDave

Awesome pics. I suppose you probable have 30" of ice or more?

You are probably looking at 12,500 and close to 15,000#

Actually, their was ~60" of ice (appx 5ft) in both locations that we were fishing at. Which actually puts us at a safe load rating of ~150,000lbs, but even 30" of ice would be "ok" though i wouldnt consider it ideal even with a load rating of 45,000lbs, i like to have a little more meat under my feet when im drilling a bunch of 10" holes between 25,000lbs of trucks!

We typically have 30" or more of ice by early december, depending on the body of water :)

Scarecrow1

Ok nice pictures but YOUR ALL NUTS :) just wait for the ice to melt then fish for petes sake! Winter is made for spending indoors with company in front of a fire place and the only place you find ice at my house is mixed with Crown and Coke .... Or just Coke mostly......Ok in the fridge but what the heck you guys enjoy your winter your way ....Cheers... :)

YkDave

Yea, their was a little bit of fishing going on... haha

Between the texas mickey that doesnt last more than a day and a half, and a bit of cooking, we did manage to get a few little trout to cook up in our contraptions we end up cooking!

Dont mind the stove in the background, it was a little bit hot-rodded from a previous adventure. ive got a handfull or orifices for it now and its got a chimney so we can close the door in the shack without dieing...

Last edited: