• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finally, good door handles and latches!

MrMikey4026

I replaced the crap door handles and latches on my truck.
They work wonderfully and the doors don't fall open any more.
The handles are locking Trimark brand, the handles just flop loose when the doors are locked. They can be locked from the outside, but not the inside.
Getting out the cut off wheel to cut the holes in the doors was unpleasant, but turned out fine.
The latches are Bear Claw, that I bought on Ebay. If I were to do it again I would buy the smaller latches.
It cost about 225$ for the whole works. The linkage rods for the inside release I used over, the rest I made from salvaged truck rods.
I could not find linkage clips I liked, so I bought some shaft stops and soldered them to the rods so they don't fall off. I don't trust the little set screws.
I could not double bend the ends of the rods (on both ends) and be able to put it together.
I will rivet the strike bolt plate in place after iI install new weatherstrip, it will need to be readjusted then.
More excitement as it occurs.
Mike0317201520_Film4.jpg0317201522_Film4.jpg0317201536_Film4 (1).jpg0317201522_Film4.jpg0317201536_Film4 (1).jpg

Ronmar

Cool! lots of ways to re-engineer the weak stock handles. I used a two stage single rotating latch assembly made by Trimark from a hotrod supplier and Toyota 4runner handles and rods from a junkyard(about $40 a door + my labor)...

MrMikey4026

Cool! lots of ways to re-engineer the weak stock handles. I used a two stage single rotating latch assembly made by Trimark from a hotrod supplier and Toyota 4runner handles and rods from a junkyard(about $40 a door + my labor)...
Ron
I watched your YouTube! I could not figure out how to make the Toyota handle locks work with the Locking Bearclaws.
I learned most of what I did from you!
This LMTV was the one in Belfair advertised on Facebook.
Mike

Ronmar

Ron
I watched your YouTube! I could not figure out how to make the Toyota handle locks work with the Locking Bearclaws.
I learned most of what I did from you!
This LMTV was the one in Belfair advertised on Facebook.
Mike
To use the toyota handles I think you would have to flip the latches(swap left to right), so the outside latch rod pulls down to open, unless you wanted to put the outside handles upside down. With handles so high, upside down is more ergonomic, but The handles would leak more water into the door... The lock rod can be difficult as on most of these it has to snake past the other rods to reach the lock lever on the latch. That was one reason I opted to not put keyed handles on the outside and will go with electric lock a tuators to work the lock lever on the latches...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks