• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finally Got a deuce

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
And I'm the grumpy old fart that they're talking about.

And since our newb flyBURopTIK has kindly stepped up to the plate, I will use his first post as an example.

BIG difference on how Zack and flyBuropTik entered the website. You can see it in the very first post. Underlined portions are the areas I have an issue with.

flyBURopTIK

FNG Here! (Well, I guess Im good with that title for a few days... lol)
Ive recently exchanged some money with our good friends at GL & started the uhh... 'Waiting' process for an EUC. With that being said, when I finially get the greenlight & go to pick up my new (to me) duce

When Im giving it once-over, is there anything in particular I should be paying attention to prior to getting it out on the open road?

Any tools in particular I should bring with me?

Assuming that it hasnt been driven/fired up in the preceeding 3 months, anything I should be on the lookout for?

Anyone have experience with diesel additives? Ive got a decent amount of milage inbetween picking it up & home, Ive been thinking of bringing a bottle of hammerdown (or if someone's got a better reccomendation?) with me & running it thru a tank to get the guts nice & shiney prior to a fluids change.

Seems like prior to joining here, I saw a thread about someone with a 2xxx series alison upgrade kit to be able to do some left-lane speeds -Anyone have any info on that?

Last one for the time being... Seems like Ive seen some people talking about locking doors? Im assuming this is using a key on the outside? Can anyone point me in the right direction for this one...?

What are my issues with this? A once over on a truck out of a GL lot to drive a long distance is asking for trouble especially after I get it out on the 'open road' to do some left lane driving. Deuces aren't made for 'left lane' driving. Everything about the suspension and the brake system are contrary to that. Of course it hasn't been driven in 3 months. It takes nearly that to clear the entire DRMO process.

As for tools and pickup advise, how many thread will there be on this.

There are ones on the GL lot at Forest Park that haven't moved in well over 2 years.

Biggest issue I have is the combination of lack of skill in driving it, lack of knowledge of the vehicle, indications for 'hot rodding', and left lane driving all in the space of the first post. If you want a fast truck, go get a Ford Super Duty. If your worried about fuel economy, don't buy a deuce. They drink a tank of fuel for breakfast and ask for another in between lunch and dinner.

NOW let's look at this newest members initial post:

I Won a deuce on GL the other day.... Paid for it.. now waiting for my euc to clear... IN the mean time i would love to get some hands on experience with a deuce so i will know what to expect on the trip home. It is about 200 miles from me.. I have never driven a deuce but i have driven large vehicles.. Rvs Box trucks ECt.. It would be great if someone close by with a running truck would give me a few pointers on the trucks so i know what to do when it is time for me to pick my truck up... I Have been doing lots of reading all of the info on the site.. Just would be great for some hands on experience.... I am located in augusta Georgia..... SOME HELP WOULD BE GREAT THANKS GUYS

No mention of everything that is wrong in the other post. Looking for assistance in gaining duece specific experience before he picks it up yet already has some truck experience. In general he is displaying a level of maturity and responsibility I think is missing from the previous post.

That my friend is why Zack gets a [thumbzup] and you get the :evil:. I have no doubt Zack is already making arrngements for insurance, registration, and other requirements for a safe, responsible drive home in the RIGHT lane.

Zack, if you need any help. Let me or the other guys know. See you at the GA Rally if not sooner.

Zack

Im not gonna get scared off by the old codggers..... Its all good... I try to do as much research as i can before i ask a question. I am greatfull for all the support of everone.. I will try to get some pics of the truck up soon the only ones i can get are whats on the gl site.

flyBURopTIK

Well, Well, Well... Looks as though someone has some issues with letting go...

What are my issues with this? A once over on a truck out of a GL lot to drive a long distance is asking for trouble especially after I get it out on the 'open road' to do some left lane driving. Of course it hasn't been driven in 3 months. It takes nearly that to clear the entire DRMO process.
Thats fine & a good point to make, instead of mouthing off as you felt so compelled to do to someone who self identifies as a n00b to the point of calling themself an FNG (Thus prepping the group for n00b questions) you could’ve simply said something to the effect of -Due to the way the DLA dispositions surplus equipment, chances are the truck youve bought has been there for considerably longer than the time for the GL listing process & your EUC to clear; That being said you may want to invest more time than a "once-over" to make sure its road worthy

Deuces aren't made for 'left lane' driving. Everything about the suspension and the brake system are contrary to that.
suspension & break system isnt made for "left lane driving"? Perhaps you could expound upon this thought (Im not expecting anything from the society of automotive engineering here, but something a wee bit more succinct n' educated would be great)? This n' various other disparities to other medium duty trucks Im somewhat confused on; Seems as though Ford F650/750's, GMC Top Kick's/Chev Kodiak's, International 6000/7000's (All medium duty trucks) dont seem to have top speeds as low as 60 & towing capacities as low as 6000lbs -With that being said, whats the deal with the M35?

As for tools and pickup advise, how many thread will there be on this.
Thats fine, you couldave just said (like other members have) do a search on recovery
Biggest issue I have is the combination of lack of skill in driving it, lack of knowledge of the vehicle
I dont talk about your driving, or knowledge -It might be behoove you not to comment on mine without first being subject to it (Ive already read the Operators Manual, the Lubrication Manual, the Receipts publication, and the Support manual; None of them had any information on locking doors, or upgrading the transmission -Most vehicle's manual's dont, I dident expect any of these to; Thus the reason I posted in the forum).

indications for 'hot rodding', and left lane driving all in the space of the first post.
Uhh... Carny? First n' Formost I'd like to draw your attention to the fact that the post in question was posted in "Deuce Modification and Hot-Rodding", posting subject matter of locking doors n' transmission upgrades elsewhere seemed stupid & that genre appeared to be the natural environment to poise said questions, Second of all -Im hard pressed to call 70 miles per hour Quote-Unquote Hot-Rodding (Emphasis on the quotes, as if it were Ironic Hot-Rodding), I'd call it part of my morning commute -As Ive said above, Other medium duty trucks can -Whats the deal with the duce?

If you want a fast truck, go get a Ford Super Duty. If your worried about fuel economy, don't buy a deuce. They drink a tank of fuel for breakfast and ask for another in between lunch and dinner.
Ive already got a Ford -It'l do faster in the left lane than I care to go most of the time, as Ive said above Im not looking for something to get in race's with, Im just looking for 70 on the freeway while Im hauling whatever Ive got in the bed; Ive done a fair amount of research on the truck's fuel economy, Im aware of its mileage -Thank you for your concern

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It would be a good idea to contact the gl rep where truck is located and go out and do a inspection , find out if the brakes work

any major fluid leaks , does the radiator have anti-freeze in , ect. then you will have a idea of how to recover it . GL's idea of
start with a jump and actually being driven 200 miles , might be 2 different things .

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
FlyBURopTIK , most of the posts carnac made that you have issues with are right on the money . However I find your replies quit disrespectful of carnac , but I'm sure you could care less about that . It is clear you have no understanding of the knowledge carnac has or what he has done for this site . And when you pick your truck up from gl make sure you have the gl rep give you the history of it if your interested in its history ,I'm sure the rep will be glad to provide this info .

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Welcome to the Green Iron Laughing Accademy.:cookoo:

Just from reading your first post I get the impression you are a young fellow.....nothing wrong with that....we need young guns in the hobby.

I read your post before anyone had replied to it and my first thought was that the chit storm was fixing to start again....there had been a big one the day before concerning new guys and questions.

One thing stuck out in your post.....the fact that you didn't have money to have it trucked home.

You are working on the assumption that it is a driver......if it is and you can go get it you can save money (that you say you don't have).

If you get to Albany and it is not a runner (bad brakes, clutch, hole in engine block, etc) what is the game plan?

There are good folks that will be glad to help....one is in Albany and has helped several members recover vehicles. I'm sure he would do it for you also. But you can't always bank on that.

I have done the same thing (buying trucks sight unseen a long way from home) but I had a credit card with an obscene limit on it as a backup plan.

I have bought over twenty trucks from GL and only one had a bad engine......again...you can't bank on it. I hope yours is a cherry runner.

Deuces may be relatively cheap to buy but they are not cheap to keep.....parts can be expensive, they suck fuel and if you have to get one towed from out in the boondocks be prepared to bend over and lube up.

That being said this is a great hobby and you will meet some great folks especially if you come to the GA Rally (which is right down the road from you).

Just be patient with us and we will try to do the same.

Again....welcome to the site.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
FlyBURopTIK , most of the posts carnac made that you have issues with are right on the money . However I find your replies quit disrespectful of carnac , but I'm sure you could care less about that . It is clear you have no understanding of the knowledge carnac or what he has done for this site . And when you pick your truck up from gl make sure you have the gl rep give you the history of it if your interested in its history ,I'm sure the rep will be glad to provide this info .
That's ok, let him ramble. The more he does, the bigger of a gluteous maximus he makes of himself. I find him quite humerous. I do wish to take these issues off of Zacks (the more responsible deuce owners) thread. It appears it has already caused some confusion in our 'good ole boy' WM. Of course in his advanced age....rofl

So if you got a problem there fly--whatever it is-- take it to your own thread or make a new one.

Pooch1128

Zack, I believe no one has mentioned this and if they have then disregard, but appears there is only 4 tires on the rear and not the usuall 8 ( duals). So you might want to be careful if you drive it since they don't appear to super singles. Now someone with a little more experience with A2's than I can comment on wether it makes a flip if the truck only has 4 tires on the rear, other than the safety aspect.

oddshot

FlyBURopTIK , most of the posts carnac made that you have issues with are right on the money . However I find your replies quit disrespectful of carnac , but I'm sure you could care less about that . It is clear you have no understanding of the knowledge carnac or what he has done for this site.
I don't know about this Carnac ... and have not paid attention enough to the names of the nasty crusty old farts around here.

But there are more then one of them.

These guys might even be the FATHER OF THE 6X6 ...

but that don't give them ANY license to by rude, insulting and just plain nasty.

If it upsets them so much to read posts from new guys ... they why the heck are they reading them?

The burning compelling NEED to be as rude as possible when somebody asks a nube question. I just cannot understand it.

It's like the "Mary Kay Ladies" at the uptight Baptist church up town. a young lady can walk into the church looking for Jesus ... but if here makeup and hair and mode of dress ain't right ..... The "Mary Kay Ladies" will run their butts right out of church.

This SUCKS!

And because I hate know-it-alls, punks- and bullies ... (that's MY pet peeve by the way) I'm gonna call them on it every time.

If THEY can have a pet peeve ... I can have one too.

READ THE RULES ... especially about attitudes towards NUBES!

oddshot

Last edited:

oddshot

HEY ZACK ...

SHE IS BEAUTIFUL!!!

You are gonna have to get pictures of the logo on the door when you get here home safe and sound.

Now ... I'm gonna ask you a question that is gonna put you are GREAT RISK ... because what EVER you reply ...
SOMEBODY here will blast you for it ...

soanyoldways ...

What do you intend doing with the truck?

A resto? A bob job? Or just let it be until you are inspired one way or the other.

oddshot

Zack

I plan on using it for work and play..... My plans are to show some love and tlc to the truck. fix everything change all the fluids, spin on filter kit, ect.. Ultimate plans are to put on 395s and let her ride,, they look beond awsome that way.. From what i gather from reading they are still pretty safe still when the tires are on them. Oh yeah Definatly gonna paint it to match.

Zack

Pooch1128 I realize there are only 4 tires on the back... My plans are to try to borrow at least 2 to put on the rear axle to help stabilize... if no luck there then flip the rims to dish out. Have done some reading on the site on how when singled with 395s it works great.. Can be read on if searched under 395s will fit on stock deuce... Posted by hundred dollar man

nk14zp

Zack, I believe no one has mentioned this and if they have then disregard, but appears there is only 4 tires on the rear and not the usuall 8 ( duals). So you might want to be careful if you drive it since they don't appear to super singles. Now someone with a little more experience with A2's than I can comment on wether it makes a flip if the truck only has 4 tires on the rear, other than the safety aspect.
The truck is properly singled out.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know about this Carnac ... and have not paid attention enough to the names of the nasty crusty old farts around here.

But there are more then one of them.

These guys might even be the FATHER OF THE 6X6 ...

but that don't give them ANY license to by rude, insulting and just plain nasty.

If it upsets them so much to read posts from new guys ... they why the heck are they reading them?

The burning compelling NEED to be as rude as possible when somebody asks a nube question. I just cannot understand it.

And because I hate know-it-alls, punks- and bullies ... (that's MY pet peeve by the way) I'm gonna call them on it every time.

READ THE RULES ... especially about attitudes towards NUBES!

oddshot
Your first line here shows how wet behind the ears of a noob you are part of the idea
of moving up the ranks are getting to know the senior members and what they have done to make this site what it is .If it bothers you so much to read thier posts , why are you reading them they built this site ,you might actually learn something from there posts . And yes they get tire of the same question being ask 10 times a day without a proper search or even knowing what a TM is .As for read the rules it seems very noob's do that and when they ask a question that has been ask a zillion times and don't get a answer in the first2 minutes they post it in 4 other forums breaking the rule they didn't read about cross-posting the same question in different forums . By the way I have only been here for just under two years so i,m still part of the new membership , like everywaer else you have to earn respect here and the best way for a noob to do that is to give it.

Zack sorry about the hijac and this will be my last post not related to the original post enjoy your new truck and SS needs more members like you.

oddshot

Your first line here shows how wet behind the ears of a noob you are part of the idea of moving up the ranks are getting to know the senior members and what they have done to make this site what it is .

The wrath of the Mary Kay Ladies continues.

Read the rules ...

Don't pick on the nubes.

oddshot

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur

I have singled out a deuce and have one that came from GL singled out.

I beg to differ with Pooch...looks like the stock offset to me....but I have been wrong before...usually when they singled them out they put the 1100x20 radials on them.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Zack just left my LZ after driving the Long Easy(M814) around the greater part of Aiken(my home town). He did a pretty good job for the first time. The shift pattern tripped him up a few times, but he finally got it.
The 814 ran like a champ. I finally found and fixed all my air leaks in the fuel system, and the 'ole girl purrs right along. I am a right proud daddy. :mrgreen: