• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finally got an M1009

TeamAL2.5

So I've been playing with MV's for a couple years now. I've always wanted a CUCV and just happened across this one a friend had to find a home for. Plan on making this my daily.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352485645.401709.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352485671.202399.jpg

CycleJay

Hello TeamAl...

Looks good, congratulations... Let me know if you ever have any questions.
I would be glad to do what I can to help. Especially if you ever pass thru Atlanta, Ga with it.

I use my 1985 M1009 as a daily driver too. And she is quite reliable...

Good luck, and Good day,

2cents

Last edited:

forest522

Welcome! Good to hear another one has a happy home!!! Keep us in the loop on the build process!

Its like parenthood...Some days I'm frustrated, others I'm very proud, and my wallet is always getting lighter...:D

TeamAL2.5

This one went from the service to a police department. (black paint...) Therefore, I'm willing to bet it never had to face a GOV-LICK forklift face to face! It has however had the wiring harness hacked on... FUN! Guess I'll have to buy my dad some beer since Auto-Electric is his specialty!:beer:

axshon

Nice truck! I'm a new guy been lurking a while. Just picked up an 84 M1009 from govliq. What's this about a forklift? Mine was driven onto the lot so can I assume an undamaged undercarriage?

I'll be more active once I get my paws on the new toy and haul it back from MO.

OP good luck on the restoration. I plan to make mine a daily driver as well.

TeamAL2.5

Ah the forklift tales.... GL employees have a history of moving vehicles around with them and the vehicles just happen to end up with random holes in oil pans, fuel tanks, tail gates etc....

I'll be lucky enough to get him to work on mine! He has a 1964 English Ford Cortina he manages to work on a whopping 2-3 hrs a year... LoL!

Does anyone have good dash and engine wiring harnesses available? It's starting to look like that might be easier than piecing this back together.

stranger75

I have a dash that I pulled from a parts truck, but it is very rough. I recommend checking your local junkyard(s) for a decent 80's GM square body truck dash. They are hard to find in decent shape, but they exist.

TeamAL2.5

Thank you all for the warm welcome to the world of mid size military trucks! LoL!

So tonight I replaced the tierods and sleeve between the pitman arm and steering arm on the LF knuckle. Quick and easy. Made a world of difference! Almost no slop now. Going to do the ends on the relay rod tomorrow.

Like I said the wiring is a rats nest. Someone bypassed the glow plug controller to a momentary switch... Well I think the plugs are burnt up because it doesn't start with that either. Gonna have to get the meter out and play this weekend.

I'm also not confident the generators are doing their job. The voltage gauge just floats in the yellow when it's running and doesn't move when throttle is applied. Here's hoping its the wiring!

TeamAL2.5

Went on a whim yesterday and pulled out a couple glowplugs... lets just say they are swollen... Picked up new plugs popped them in and starts every time with the momentary
switch. Looks like i might be able to drive this thing sooner than later!

:driver:

gonna go on a road test tonight and see how she rolls!