• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finally got an MKT-75A

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ONE of the reasons I was moving the MKT around was so I could find the place for ONE MORE piece of my odd puzzle...

THANK YOU Islandguydon...

View attachment 311592

View attachment 311594

apparently I put the cover on backwards... the reason I put it on was we are expecting rain sometime in the next 48 hrs ...

And I have not done anything other than take delivery. I will be reading the TM's over the weekend and THEN I'll fire her up... I may even shoot some kind of 'how to start your MEP-0003a' and post it on Youtube

we'll see

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For the remaining odd puzzle piece, use an IBC and an empty generator/cargo trailer, much cheaper than an M-149 (by $1000-1500 less). Difference in the water capacity is not much (275 vs 400 gallons). The cool factor is way different, but I can live with that.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, that IS on the list... water is a necessity

plus at some point in the future, I would like to add a Base X tent...

not sure which one yet ... and they are not cheap either...

I'm hoping to meet thtrev2001 in the next week or so, I got one of his grills and a couple of boxes...

he's coming this way, and was willing to bring them with ....

baby steps, a little at a time

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jim, I am glad to see you finally took delivery. I know you will be happy for many years to come. That MEP-003 belongs in a museum. I would like to see a You Tube of the initial start up and your honest evaluation. Remember to check the oil before start up.

I want you also to know I have in my shed a dual Moto Gozi exhaust system for it to quiet it down to 1/3 from original. Let me know what the wifey says,lol

M1031CMT

If you need to free up some space, I would be more than happy to take that M1028 off your hands. I am a nice guy that way :mrgreen:

Generator looks really good.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
YEAH, YEAH, sorry no takers

I went all the way to Ft Drum NY for that one

it's in great shape with one minor spot of rust and currently has 20k miles

========================================================

DOES ANYONE have any information or experience with Dexter Axles?

http://www.dexteraxle.com/home

this may be the place I'll pick up the axle for the swap on the MKT

LIKE these - http://dexteraxle.com/i/u/6149609/f/6-8k_cat_10-10/5500-7000_Lbs_12-10.pdf

it does seem finding anything larger than 6t trailer axle is a wee bit of over kill - and moves the drums up into the 10 - 12 lug range - wheels/tires - and not what I'm looking for

what do you folks think of this set up as a swap for my MKT so I can use the dually and have electric brakes? These aren't too light an axle are they?

If you look at the heavier axles, I mean they just seem HUGE for what I'm trying to accomplish

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A fully equipped MKT is only three tons (LT 6000 pounds), so any axle that is much heavier duty is overkill or 'insurance' against rough handling IMHO. The axles that you linked to should provide the service you are looking for. Just remember to get truck rated tires suitable for the load range (three - got to have a spare).

M1031CMT

YEAH, YEAH, sorry no takers

I went all the way to Ft Drum NY for that one
Oh so that was you? I thought it looked familiar when you posted it. But I guessed they pretty much all look the same.

Stay out of my area! Everything near here is suppose to be mine! :mrgreen: lol

Oh well. At least I know it went to a good place.

DOES ANYONE have any information or experience with Dexter Axles?

http://www.dexteraxle.com/home

this may be the place I'll pick up the axle for the swap on the MKT

LIKE these - http://dexteraxle.com/i/u/6149609/f/6-8k_cat_10-10/5500-7000_Lbs_12-10.pdf

it does seem finding anything larger than 6t trailer axle is a wee bit of over kill - and moves the drums up into the 10 - 12 lug range - wheels/tires - and not what I'm looking for

what do you folks think of this set up as a swap for my MKT so I can use the dually and have electric brakes? These aren't too light an axle are they?

If you look at the heavier axles, I mean they just seem HUGE for what I'm trying to accomplish
You might also want to go visit a local trailer place and see about ordering an axle there. I have a pioneer tool trailer which I pulled off the stock axle so that I could use standard civilian tires (instead of the old large 5 bolt style). The trailer was light, so I didn't need electric brakes, but the custom sized axle to fit under the trailer, 3000lbs capacity, and with the bolt pattern I wanted ended up costing just under $200 ($190 with tax if I remember properly). For another $120 I could have gotten it with electric brakes.

The place could have gotten me a trailer axle as big as I wanted. So it might be a bit cheaper to find something locally before you order something that needs to be transported to you.

Attachments

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry but that was three years ago??? And I did PAY MORE than most would have It went for $5400 if memory serves. Then taxes & GL fee, it was out the door for like $6500

then there is a long involved story getting it from Ft Drum to Denver...

But mine was a low miles example that was well cared for... I try to continue on in that tradition

and I will check with local trailer places... they're hurting right now with the economy being soft and everything...

maybe I can find a nice one for less than $1000 installed.. We'll see...

Once I figure it out, I'll post it up...

M1031CMT

Not a whole lot special comes up at Ft. Drum (some months there are less than a dozen pieces of equipment that come up for sale), so you remember special stuff when it shows up. I have paid more than most people would for some equipment. You pay what you think it is worth. That $6,500 you paid is still decent, even for today (IMHO). We paid just under $7k for an M1031. Some think we were nuts, but we think it was worth it.

Look forward to seeing what you find for an axle.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is the first walk around of the MKT-75A that I purchased from SCrancher...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_KqhG79oC8[/media]

first of TWO GRIDDLES, not TWO BURNERS

I need an insert for the condiment tray.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The first couple of items you were wondering about are:

1) the one with little chains on it is to hang in the ovens for baking purposes

2) the one with the oblong cut outs is to sit in a pan of hot water and hold the inserts from mermite cans to keep them warm

steelypip

I'm guessing mkcoen is referring to M2 burners, which are not much beloved (can't watch YT at work). They are sort of like the world's biggest Coleman stove, require some care for proper operation, and can cause excitement or injury if not operated properly. There are people here who have successfully operated them, people who swear at them, and people who fall into both groups. YMMV.

If your wife is going to be operating yours solo then you will probably want to switch to some other heat source. I believe there are quite a few threads here covering the options.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
He just has some of the gas burner parts not the burners themselves. Since his MKT. has had the MWO done on it it's already set up for MBUs and I think he got some of those from Scranch also.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mark identified one part of the Aux Baking unit, the other two parts were beside the square roasting pan. The heavy sheet (steel) goes in the bottom of the oven and keeps the direct flame from creating extremely hot spots, and the very light aluminum piece on top of it goes in the top of the oven on the rack between where the chain hooks are. In use, you can proof your baked goods (biscuits) in the top while you are cooking a sheet on the hanging tray. These sheets are an odd size - almost a GN 2/3 pan - and normally come two to an M-59 oven or four to an MKT. I lucked upon some extras and now I have seven, which gives me two baking, two proofing, two in prep, and a spare. They store very nicely in the racks above the MBU inverter.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks