• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finally got her home.

gabby4244

Finally picked it up 2/16 from PA. Had to get a lowered sized flatbed to bring it home. Originally a fire truck,3,500. miles. Really no rust because it was always stored inside !! :jumpin::jumpin: P2160078.jpg :jumpin::jumpin:

gabby4244

Runs like a 1944 top :-D:-D Even came with the original TM manual !! Checked all the levels underneath, adjusted the clutch, changed the fuel filter, changed out the antifreeze and lubed up the throttle linkage. Got a master cylinder on order along with a reprinted TM manual, so I can get nice and greasy. :jumpin::jumpin:download 1944 g506-1.jpgdownload #4.jpgdownload.jpg:jumpin::jumpin:

ducer

Man that is one good looking truck. I dig the wood bed and color scheme. One question though how do you stay in the seat? If it were mine I would rotate the interior 90 degrees clockwise to make it more comfortable.:confused:

Denny:drool:

gabby4244

Your right, need to do something with the bed ! Thinking of maybe a cargo bed, who knows, maybe a re-do with some OD paint !! As far as staying in the seat, at a top speed of 40mph I need to do all I can to stay on the road, especially with that 20" steering wheel !!:roll::roll:1944.jpg

Last edited:

nattieleather

I like the satilite dish attached to the front grill... :lol: But seriously Nice truck! Someone went to a lot of work to civilianize it. Now you'll have a lot of work to make it military again?

moose97

Personally, I like the bed - if only because I'm working on a farm truck ('49 International KB-6) that it would look good on - minus the benches...

Any chance you could get me some detailed specs and pics? I.e. what type lumber was used? Thanks!

gabby4244

download #5.jpg This pic was taken just after the bed was completed, it did not have any of the rear lights or mud flaps mounted at that point. I believe the wood he used was all hard wood and then treated. He used it only in parades, thus the benches and occasionally to the back 40 with a cooler of beer to watch the sun set !! I also believe the dish was used to watch big brother !:mrgreen::mrgreen:

gabby4244

Hey Moose97, on closer inspection you can see the sides of the bed do not go any further than the rear wheel. I was thinking of removing the benches to make the bed some what functional but that might weaken the side walls !?! Need to put some thought into it because it might be a wee bit before I do go with a cargo bed if even at all ! If you need me to take any measurements of anything just say so !! Looks like the bed has mostly oak and was coated with a poly !! When the weather up here gets a little better I will post more pix of the truck along with fire dept. data plates.

Last edited:

moose97

No rush on pics or measurements Gabby - I'm not to that point of my restoration (click on the link to my blog in my signature to see what I'm working on). I'll be keeping tabs on what you decide. Yeah, I see what you mean on weakening the sides by removing the benches. I'm still exploring options for my box/bed and like yours a lot...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks