• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FINALLY got plates, and a cautionary tale.

JCKnife

Eight months after winning my deuce on GL, I finally got my plates today. She's finally street-lethal. I mean legal. :D

While I was in the clerk's office, a vietnam vet came in and was giving her a good looking-over. He said he was a motorpool mechanic and had worked on them. When all our business was done he was still looking her over with me, and told me not to ever take the tires off those rims. He had seen one of the split-rims fly off and "take a guy's head off."

Anyway, looking forward to finally tooling around.

Still have this issue with the accessory on switch...sometimes it doesn't fully engage and the starter won't fire. Did that when we were ready to leave, sat there for about five minutes flipping it back and forth.

Baby steps...

JCKnife

Hey while I've got you; I'm noticing a few drops of coolant on the front of the compressor after she runs lately. The coolant doesn't route through the compressor, does it? I think it must be coming out, maybe out of the radiator cap and spraying on it. But it almost looks like it's leaking out of the compressor. But I don't think that's possible. I'll get the book out tonight.

mckeeranger

Congrats on becoming legal. Now you will find some pretty creative excuses to drive it around.

I was in Shepherdsville today, I should have driven the M35 and made a detour up I-71. We could have done some light to light drag racing through the middle of town.

It's probably legal.. it's not like they're going to get us for speeding or illegal take off.

JCKnife

There's a joke in there somewhere: How do you tell if two deuces are drag racing?

...when the 'chute pops out behind them...
...they start by running over a christmas tree...
...because the smoke comes out REALLY black...

I don't know. Someone can prolly do better...

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad you are legal.

Technically speaking they are locking rims, not split rims. There is a difference and Gimp got on me for calling them split.........

I guess they are not as dangerous but I wouldn't want to mess with them. :)

sw

Heavysteven

Joe,
I had a bad radiator cap that spit coolant out. It got trapped on top of the raditor. I would order a new cap from a dealer. I alittle tire shine will make that CARC look new.

Wish I lived closer and could help. Thanks for the help last year :beer:. I have a napa radiator cap if you want send me a PM and it's yours.

jimm1009

I took the handle off the master switch and cut off about 3/4 of an inch as mine was striking the cable handle before fully engaging too.
Now is goes to full engagement without interference.
It is a 5 minute job with a screwdriver and a hack saw followed up by a file to remove any remaining burrs.
:D

jimm1009

PS: JCKnife, congradualtions on getting your ride on the road. Now put some miles on that bad boy and have some fun! Pictures of your ride??

:jumpin:

Last edited:

JCKnife

Joe,
I had a bad radiator cap that spit coolant out. It got trapped on top of the raditor. I would order a new cap from a dealer. I alittle tire shine will make that CARC look new.

Wish I lived closer and could help. Thanks for the help last year :beer:. I have a napa radiator cap if you want send me a PM and it's yours.
I appreciate the offer; let me make sure it's the cap first. I let it run for a while today and watched it and nothing came out...

mckeeranger

I appreciate the offer; let me make sure it's the cap first. I let it run for a while today and watched it and nothing came out...
I lost my alternator/fan belts a few weeks ago, and had a slight boil-over before I shut it down. Some antifreeze got in that crater in the top of the air pump and is still there.

One of the properties of antifreeze is it doesn't evaporate very fast. If it's in one of those crevasses, you might clean it out and see if it comes back. It may just be the same few drops hanging on.

Parker2

Your radiator cap is probably worn out. The antifreeze is getting pushed past the seal as your running down the road at higher rpm's.
You can get a new one at Napa.

JCKnife

where are your plates on truck? Don't you have to have them showing?
No front plate required PLUS (I need to re-read it but I think) KRS says historic plates may be kept in the cab, even the rear one need not be displayed. I'll double-check that.

jimm1009

I among others (probably) asked for the pics. Thanks for them as now I can visualize your "toy" in it's new home.
Do the research there as mounting a licnese plate realy detracts from the appearance.
I encourage every owner in every state to research this as they may have a law that allows them to register without a plate. Not too many state employees know about the law even though it is on their books.
Conradulations once again and welcome to the OD Green Motor Pool.
Now get that thing on the road and make some BLACK smoke soldier!
;)
jimm1009

JCKnife

Okay, here is the wording on KY state law:

(5) Historic vehicles may display an authentic Kentucky license plate, twenty-five (25) years or older, or a reproduction of such a plate, if the historic motor vehicle plate and the registration receipt are kept in the vehicle at all times.

Now, my question: do the numbers painted on the rear bumperettes of my deuce constitute an "Authentic Kentucky License Plate?" as stated above? Per the info I got from Carnac, this truck has always been a KY national guard truck.

I will, of course, keep the plates in the cab. I'm inclined to try this until someone with a badge tells me otherwise.