• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finally home!

us74k5

Just wanted to let everyone know that I made it in from Afghan last night around 5 pm local time, here in Washington. Had a room FULL of parts for my 10009, let the build begin! The plan is as follows:

1. Install seats from a 09' Z71 tahoe
2. Marine Injectors, new glowplugs
3. Paint the interior
4. Sound deadening, carpet kit
5. GM-8 turbo install
6. 700-R4 swap
7. Swap 6 lug 14 bolt with disc brakes and 4.10 gears in the rear, re gear front.
8. Install new Tuff Country 3" springs in the rear, with Firestone Ride Rite airbags.
9. Install onboard computer, with full audio / nav control.
10. Install dash from a 99 tahoe (that one is going to take a while).

For right now that should be it. I am not keeping this military style. I am a K5 lover, this is my 5th Blazer, and favorite so far. I am building it to be an excellent daily driver / weekend tow rig for my samurai and my M101A3 trailer.\

I have new wheels and tires I am going to put on it later today, I will snap a photo and post that up right after.

andytk5

Glad you returned safe!! Looking forward to seeing the prgress. I am new to the military stuff but have had to 1984 K5's before, loved em (and hated em). Looking to get into one of the M1008s for the towing aspect, I'm sure I will get some ideas from you though!
Thanks for you service!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome home soldier![thumbzup]

niferous

Are you leaving the front axle a 6 bolt? The majority of the time that's where a lot of the weight of the truck is so I would think you would want to beef it up too. Plus you won't be able to rotate your tires.

exbrown

Welcome home! Thanks for your service.

Hope to see your truck.

By the way, I have always loved Blazers. Have had many 1970-1972 models. They were great offroad trucks. I also have a Suzuki LJ20. It is small enough to ride in the back of a pickup truck.

us74k5

Well yesterday was a real headache! I went to pick up my new wheels and tires from 4wheelparts in Tacoma, Wa. I used their online form to purchase these wheels, the one where you put in the type of vehicle you have, and then it selects the type of wheels and tires that will work on your truck. They have had the tires for 2 weeks now, i called them the day before to let them know I would be picking them up the next day. I showed up there, they still had not been mounted or balanced... After two hours of waiting, i get my wheels and tires and head home. Mount everything up, go out for a spin.... The front wheels, barely came in contact with the tie rod ends in the front axle, and tore a nice chunk out of my brand new wheels... I called them, they insisted that "that's what you get" because I did not have them mount the tires on the truck... At this point the only thing i could do was buy wheel spacers. They sold me some at $100 a pair, which was ridiculous in my opinion. I brought them back, put them on, only to realize that they are toyota wheel spacers, and while they are the same size, the lugs are a different thread. This created a ****ton of issues.... I finally got them mounted up, however the lugs off of the wheel spacers are so short, that the nuts only cinch down about an inch before they bottom out. The tires are on there, but I will be driving the truck back up there today and giving them a piece of my mind. Anywho, after that mess was done with, i had just enough daylight left to get the driver's seat installed, and the glow plugs done. I once again was really happy with this truck's maintenance record, i pulled all of the glow plugs, and I probably didn't need to, the all looked brand new. As soon as the sun comes up, I will go start snapping pictures. Also I just won this from GL
5640 - Wallboard, Build Paper and Thermal Materials at Government Liquidation

From everything I have read, this stuff will make an amazing sound deadner / mat to go under my carpet. I am going to get that stuff installed, and if anyone needs some let me know, I will be selling it cheap. I will put up a picture of the truck before I deployed, and I will link the current ones in an hour or so.

Attachments

us74k5

Oh also, I will not be able to make the rally:-( My brother's 18th birthday / graduation party was postponed until this coming weekend, so that I could attend. It was supposed to be last weekend, just a week or so after my original arrival date, but when we got delayed, the family pushed it back so that I could attend. Sorry guys! I was really looking forward to it, but family first!

niferous

Sounds like typical 4 Wheel Parts. I've had some really bad experiences with them. So much so that I won't let them work on anything for me. The only time I purchase from them is if something goes on sale.