• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finally joined the MEP-803A club...

Chainbreaker

https://www.tricocorp.com/product/watchdog-desiccant-breathers/

What I use. you could buy the desiccant beads separately and make your own. They're a little pricey you need to shop around I got a Mini for $20.
Thanks! I found the Trico Watchdog 39134 (3.25" x 3.25" size) for $30 on the big auction site. I'll just mount it on ~3" long brass pipe nipple sticking up from tank and not use the original vent fitting.

Edit: On 2nd thought...the original vent has a DOT required "rollover valve" in it and this tank is going on the generator's M116A2 trailer that will be driven to gas station for refueling. The rollover valve has what appears to be a self destructive plastic seat that the ball closes onto. I think this is a safety feature that incase of fire it will melt and slowly vent the diesel thus preventing a catastrophic rupture and fireball (explosion). Wouldn't want that to happen next to my house! So, I will do some kind of MacGyver adaptation of the Trico breather to attach to valve fitting just to be road legal and maintain safety features.

Last edited:

Chainbreaker

View attachment 699367View attachment 699368
Thanks for looking- any and all comments, questions, criticism welcome.
Your installation looks very good. The only thing I would be a bit squeamish about is having 50 gallons of diesel sitting in my garage in a plastic drum. Also, double check your Home Owners Insurance policy to make sure they don't have any issues with it. A steel drum would be less prone to any kind of puncture and wouldn't melt if there was a nearby fire. Of course I fret a lot about fires, earthquakes and what not...

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your installation looks very good. The only thing I would be a bit squeamish about is having 50 gallons of diesel sitting in my garage in a plastic drum. Also, double check your Home Owners Insurance policy to make sure they don't have any issues with it. A steel drum would be less prone to any kind of puncture and wouldn't melt if there was a nearby fire. Of course I fret a lot about fires, earthquakes and what not...
Honestly I'd start looking for one of the spill containment drums that a 55 gallon drum fits inside of to double wall it.

The fuel tank in my shed is double walled because I don't want to deal with a large spill.

robson1015

That is a good idea rhurey... I had one of those yellow drums that I made a burn barrel out of, wish I still had it. I'll keep an eye out for one.
Originally I have a metal drum for fuel but as I was cleaning it I noticed the rim around the bottom was dented in one spot and it looked like it was seeping in that area. That's why I went with plastic. I would be good with putting the plastic drum inside a metal one for protection.

Last edited:

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a good idea rhurey... I had one of those yellow drums that I made a burn barrel out of, wish I still had it. I'll keep an eye out for one.
Originally I have a metal drum for fuel but as I was cleaning it I noticed the rim around the bottom was dented in one spot and it looked like it was seeping in that area. That's why I went with plastic. I would be good with putting the plastic drum inside a metal one for protection.
Howdy,
The preferred storage of diesel would be in a steel drum.

NOTE: when you are running, and aux fuel is on, make sure you have the second bung cracked for replacement air. The pump can draw down to a certain extent, then the suction would fade due to no replacement air to fuel consumed.

boatman69

As Dr.Fang says, a broken hose with a siphon could be ugly if not dangerous. For those who are worried, anti-siphon valves are available and cheap. $15 They are designed to keep fuel from siphoning into a bilge due to a compromised line.

Bmxenbrett

Home heating oil is basicly diesel and they dont make everone have double wall tanks on them. **** i have about 150 gal in a tank im my basement right now. Prob been there for 30 years.
I would perfer a steel tank also with the only fitting coming out of the top in this case.
I have seen some prety badly dented 55gal drums and they still had 55gal of oil in them.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
Before I rely on a new battery, I abuse it some.

I will fully charge the battery, load test it, and draw it down some with a electrical load. I will watch the voltage of the battery itself, and then of course recharge the battery and do it again.

I want to be able to count on the battery and the 24v charging.

I do all this with a AGM 12v charging from the Noco G7200 unit. Draw it down with a 1500watt converter with various loads, (radio, light bulbs), and battery load tester. I will do this cycle at least 3 times before putting the battery into service. Yes, it might be overkill, but when you walk away with a 24v maintenance charger, you want to know it will do its thing and the unit will start when needed.

Some have complained about the Optima batteries. I guess with doing what I have done, I have not had any issues yet. I own 16 optima batteries.... Red and Yellow

Last edited:

robson1015

IMGP3394.jpgIMGP3401.jpgIMGP3403.jpgIMGP3402.jpg

Got a nice fitted cover from 'Tarpsnow' and got rid of the old green tarp. Cover should keep most of the rain, snow, and ice out of the unit while letting air flow in.

Chainbreaker

Very nice looking cover and very well secured! Was that custom made or did you just happen to find an appropriate sized in-stock cover?

robson1015

Very nice looking cover and very well secured! Was that custom made or did you just happen to find an appropriate sized in-stock cover?
It was custom made at Tarpsnow. You just send them the dimensions you want and they make it from whatever material you want. A little pricey at $100(shipping included) but I like it alot. Took about 2 weeks to get it after being ordered.

Last edited:

robson1015

IMGP3404.jpgIMGP3406.jpgIMGP3408.jpgIMGP3410.jpgIMGP3409.jpgIMGP3412.jpg
Fired up the load bank to do some final checks. Auxiliary fuel system works great. Calibrated my gauges after a very good post by kenny0. Ran it at 100% load for 4 hours, I plan on load testing every 4 months to keep the unit exercised.

Last edited:

rogpike

View attachment 701417View attachment 701418

Was thinking I paid too much for my 803A at $1800 winning bid....
After seeing the recent bidding on GL, I'm feeling a little better about my purchase....
That is a great price. I got mine for around $4,100 with roughly 25-29 hours. For that premium price it had all brand new Wix filters, already load tested for 2 hours, all new fluids, aux fuel line and grounding stuff all included, no leaks, no issues, and 2 brand new batteries....and I only had to drive about 100 miles to pick it up. You gambled and won! I played it safe!

For my second genset that I plan to have as a backup I will go the auction route, but the first one to be prime backup power I played it safe.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks