• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finally put my deuce to good use

unstopable

Nothing makes a deuce ride better than 2.4 tons of wood pellets. Sure is easier than dividing up the pallets for my pickup truck. Now I just wish I had a forklift!!!

Is the hauling capacity of these things really only 2.5 tons? My truck hardly squatted when both skids where put on. Ran down the road smooth as silk, but there wasn't much power for going up hills when going faster than 40mph.

Notice how I have the nose pulled off my driveway. I do not want Her to "mark her territory" on my asphalt.

Just wanted to share my pics.
Finally figured out how to post pics thanks to Freight Trian, Clinto, Mangus and Recovery!!!
Thanks guys

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
RE: Fianlly put my deuce to good use

Well, they are rated for 2.5 ton capacity in the absolute worst off-road conditions and 5 tons on the highway, but many folks (private owners and commercial outfits) regularly overload them.

Will they do it? Absolutely....

Is it safe............

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Why won't it let pictures post? Check to see if they are too big, they have to be 640 x 480 or less......

FreightTrain

Banned
yea.Have some Kinfolk that do logging and they use 5 ton cargo trucks they put 5th wheels on.He comes out of the woods grossing 100-120KLbs every load.Sometimes more.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The most I've ever heard of was 12 tons in a deuce. It was severely overloaded, but was only being used to ferry ammo from one side of the base to the other, REAL SLOWLY. They should have made more trips, or used a bigger truck, but from my understanding, the guys doing the job only had access to one truck.

ojsdna744

I've had approx. 5 tons of river rock in mine, rides nice with that weight. Still stopped just fine and only took a little longer to get to speed. Again, they're rated for 5 tons on the road, but I've heard of them being loaded MUCH heavier. :shock:

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
In the crisis of the Korean war when the Chinese came hurtling down on our troops transporters like me put over 20 tons of artillery projectiles on dueces and sent them to the guns that were firing non-stop to give our guys time to fall back. This was required because the train depot was about to be overrun and they had to get the ammo out or loose it. The accounts I have read in military history stated the biggest problem was that once a truck went out to a fighting unit they usually kept it to move their stuff. Drivers would come back to the transportation unit sometimes weeks later with a letter signed by a full bird Colonel stating the Soldier was not AWOL. I would do this too in a similar situation but only in an emergency like that.

No.2Diesel

Wow ArmyMan thats an amazing tidbit of history. The chassis of those trucks must have softened up quite a bit after that workout.

Hi Unstopable,

You barely put a dent in its carrying capacity. In my personal opinion, a "safe" maximum bed load is 18,000-20,000lbs. carried on a paved or hard packed surface. Do not try to slow down the truck by downshifting when your load is greater than approx. 5-6K. You will get the "Death Shudder" and engine damage may result.

unstopable

The "death shudder"? Is that a chattering clutch or where does that ominous sounding problem originate?

If this thing can haul 10 ton and then some, I am going to have to buy a forklift$$.

What is the horsepower on these things? I imagine my deuce would be pretty gutless with 10 ton on.

Armada

Finally Put My Deuce to Good Use

Horsepower rating is 135 I think. But she's got gears, lots of gears. The most I've hauled has been cut hardwood logs stacked to the top of the stake sides while pulling an M105 with logs stacked to the top of the stake sides on it as well. Not sure what the total load weight was, but it was a LOT and the truck hardly squatted. It did take a bit longer to get up to speed but once there, it managed fine. Stopping took a little more distance, but having the trailer with airbrakes helped for sure. The ride was a bit smoother too. I love working these trucks, and they like to be worked! I don't have any pics of it loaded, but I've got video of it loaded coming down the 2 track, 'C' turbo screaming all the way.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks