• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finally used my M989A1!!!

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally got to use my M989A1 yesterday.
Won a S-280 Shelter on GSA.
The guys loaded it up and it fit great.
Just enough room on each side to access the cargo tiedowns.
Still had room to open door enough to walk inside.

Yes I know the trailer was complete overkill, but my other regular trailer with ramps and rails wouldn't allow the forklift forks to lower all the way.
Getting this thing off will be fun.

The M925A2 tows it great. On flat ground you don't even know it's there. The hills will remind you quick enough.
It will to dance around slightly if the road has tire grooves worn in.

These things are almost impossible to back up.
Always leave yourself an out!!
If you turn too sharp you will either hit the tongue stop or make contact with the truck itself. I've done it.
It's a known problem (I read in the old SS threads) since the 5 tons were not meant to pull these.

The self-leveling feature is very cool on these.
It was neat when I stopped and there was a little slope. The trailer kept load level.

I was going to sell the M989A1, but now that I've actually used it, I will keep it.
It saved me $$ on the S-280 recovery. If I didn't have it, I would've rented something to get it or bought yet another trailer.

As for the S-280
The shelter has some really bad patchwork in a few places.
One can be clearly seen in pic. They will be removed and redone properly.
It was filled with map boards, hard hats, a drum carry case, Army backpacks and mechanics coveralls, and finally........Weather Balloons.
Yep
I now own over 2000 Weather Balloons.
Brand new Military issue and still sealed in boxes.
Each box holds 10. Each balloon is individually sealed in plastic.
I haven't a clue what to do with these. Oh well.........
Stranger things have happened.........

IMG_5468.jpgIMG_5469.jpg

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like I said
stranger things have happened.

Just sold all the Wx balloons to a person back East for an amount almost doube the price I paid for the shelter.

Great day indeed!!!!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks